Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should those singing based TV talent show contracts...

Should those singing based talent show contracts come with a warning section? We have all watched the shows; American Idol, The Voice, X Factor, etc⦠They promise contracts, exposure, and even guaranteed CD releases. Contestants expect to make it big if they win. The reality, ⦠I would say that only two of the dozens of winners have really made it. Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. When I saw this video of the winner of The Voice of Holland I thought 'How can this girls not make it big?' When I listened to her CD on Apple Music I understood. Like so many others, once the season is over they are done with the contestants, even the winners. They should put warning labels on those contracts the contestants have to sign statingâ¦

Warning 1 - Though we may hire a big name producer for your release, don"t expect the said producer to waist any of his magic on a no name contest winner. This is a money grab and no effort will be made to create a special CD that will make you a star.

Warning 2 - If you cannot write your own hits, don"t expect to stick around.

I realized warning 1 years ago when Kris Allen won American Idol. Listening to the CD it was evident that the producer phoned it in. It was no better than a basement recording. Warning 2 comes from noticing that both Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood write or co-write a lot of their songs. Yes, the both have great voices, but so does this girl and a lot of other winners.

[video:youtube]

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...think how much those shows make from advertising, and how much the hosts get paid.

Then think about what the contestants get for being on a show that brings in all that money.

They are basically like toilet paper - use once for the intended purpose, then flush :).

I would say that only two of the dozens of winners have really made it. Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood.

Funny you phrased it like that, since Jennifer Hudson came in seventh but has made a great career for herself since. (In fact, I don't recognize any name from that season besides hers. I never have watched that show.) I'm pretty sure there have been others who have used AI as a launching pad for their careers such as Clay Aiken.

I know and know of several people that were on The Voice at one point or another, and to a person, they have nothing bad to say about it. I even know one dude that didn't get through the blinds because by the time of his audition, some of the coaches were done so they couldn't choose him. Every one of them feels like they were treated extremely well, and the ones that spent any time in the competition learned a lot. I think for many of them, it's a boot camp. They get vocal coaching (more than what's shown on the show), performance coaching and tips, connections, increase their fan base, and probably more.

Have I been disappointed that no one from The Voice has gotten as big as Carrie, Kelly, JHud, or Clay? Sure. But if they have a clue, they don't expect miracles, either. It's a tough business to make it that big. If they're lucky and they play their cards right, they can make a living from it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

For the producers, it is a question of "ethics vs cash flow".

Ethics doesn't usually do well in these paradigms, it is worthless and weak.

Even the ones that have talent, are pretty and young and write good songs rarely make it to the top under any circumstance.

These "reality" shows choose winners and losers to cast before the season even starts. Getting on the show doesn't mean you have a chance to win, it means you are on the show.

If they need you to lose so somebody else can win, you will lose.

It's not like it's a real audition or something...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I'm pretty sure there have been others who have used AI as a launching pad for their careers such as Clay Aiken.

Adam Lambert - the lead singer for the reconstituted Queen.

I know and know of several people that were on The Voice at one point or another, and to a person, they have nothing bad to say about it. I even know one dude that didn't get through the blinds because by the time of his audition, some of the coaches were done so they couldn't choose him. Every one of them feels like they were treated extremely well, and the ones that spent any time in the competition learned a lot. I think for many of them, it's a boot camp. They get vocal coaching (more than what's shown on the show), performance coaching and tips, connections, increase their fan base, and probably more.

That's good to know, and encouraging to hear that from someone one step removed from the direct experience. I'm glad it's not just all about exploitation.

I've never watched any of those shows. I pulled the plug on TV in the late 1980s and instead added guitar, wind synth, keys, vocals, to my musician skills, developed arranging skills, learned how to write aftermarket Band-in-a-Box styles, created a second business selling BiaB aftermarket products, learned how to run a mail order turned internet order business, learned enough HTML to write my own web sites, and spent more quality time with my wife/best-friend/band-mate.

From 1986 to 1990 we gigged on cruise ships. The ships didn't have TV then, just old taped movies and ship generated ads. We got out of the habit. When I got off I decided to live my life by doing things instead of living my life vicariously by watching actors pretend to do things.

OK I'm not drifting too far from the thread...

I read an article that Kelly Clarkson was destined to be the winner before the show went on the air. The entire show was a promotional event for her, the competitors were carefully chosen to make her shine, none of the other contestants had a chance as she was going to be a star even if they had to fix the votes.

IMPORTANT: I don't know how legitimate the story was, it could be conspiracy theory 'journalism', but ever since the "$64,000 question, many competition shows have been rigged so I consider it a possibility, but not a fact.

Has anyone else read anything like this?

Insights, incites and curiosity by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

We got asked never to come back to one in particular in high school because we played Lizzie Borden's Master of Disguise. It scared many young children and the ran off under the arms of their parents crying. My how times have changed.