Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Mac computers with T2 chip warning

Interesting new video from Louis Rossman a YouTuber who owns a MacBook and iPhone repair business which he does Youtubed on how to repair for other to learn from. Rossman is a big Apple critic of their business practices, but doesn't occasions give Apple credit when deserved. Well appears the new MBP has a problem with USB audio devices, so if thinking of purchasing an Apple with their new T2 chip you might want to hear what he has to say.

Warning: Louis is a New Yorker and his language at time can be explicit.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you please summarize it? I'm not going to watch a 20 minute video

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

seems like an old issue with the T2 chips. Supposedly fixed in the 2018 Macs with a firmware update, it appears to have cropped up again in the new machines:

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2019/02/19/t2-macs-have-a-serious-audio-glitching-bug/

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

My new Mac Mini with the latest Catalina has zero issues with this.

I have a new Gen 3 Focusrite 18i20 connected to the Mini via USB-C (both ends), and while it is technically USB 2.0, I am not suffering the glitches that many have experienced before.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

My new Mac Mini with the latest Catalina has zero issues with this.

I have a new Gen 3 Focusrite 18i20 connected to the Mini via USB-C (both ends), and while it is technically USB 2.0, I am not suffering the glitches that many have experienced before.

I have an iMac Pro and a 3rd generation Focusrite 2i2 and don't have any audio issues. People who say they have these audio problems assume that everyone else does. It could be something specific they're using on their system (drivers, other software or files causing conflicts, copy protection dongle, etc.) that's causing the problem, not the T2 chip.

Nice rant. Thanks for sharing, Docbop. It reminds a bit of

I understand that privacy and security are trickier issues today than they were five years ago, and the T2 chip is generally a good idea. It's the implementation of the idea that is troublesome.

I am due for an MB Pro sometime in 2020, but here's the problem ... After 20 years and dozens of devices in the Apple ecosystem, I found myself looking at some amazing PC gaming laptops. They don't look as cool and I'd have to switch software, but Apple is losing a unique selling proposition, which is "it just works." Apple has become more like PC's and the PC's to their credit, have become more like Macs. My son's backpack is filled with dongles for his 2018 MB Pro and I feel sorry for him.

The only unique selling proposition for me, that Apple has today, is privacy rights. That is worth something to me. I might stay, but I am so tempted.

Nice rant. Thanks for sharing, Docbop. It reminds a bit of
I understand that privacy and security are trickier issues today than they were five years ago, and the T2 chip is generally a good idea. It's the implementation of the idea that is troublesome.

I am due for an MB Pro sometime in 2020, but here's the problem ... After 20 years and dozens of devices in the Apple ecosystem, I found myself looking at some amazing PC gaming laptops. They don't look as cool and I'd have to switch software, but Apple is losing a unique selling proposition, which is "it just works." Apple has become more like PC's and the PC's to their credit, have become more like Macs. My son's backpack is filled with dongles for his 2018 MB Pro and I feel sorry for him.

The only unique selling proposition for me, that Apple has today, is privacy rights. That is worth something to me. I might stay, but I am so tempted.

I'm in same boat and music was only thing that would pull me back to Mac because in the past Windows for music put you in driver hell, but that's changed from what I can see. I've been living a love/hate with Apple since the early 80's and worked for Mac software companies so seen and heard a lot about behind the scenes Apple. As for privacy I think Apple talks a good story about protecting customers from while at the same time monitoring and collecting tons of customer data for leverage later.

I think the audio issues appeared in 2018 where rather more significant that the one found in 2019 on the MacBookPro 16" (note that reports concern only the MacBookPro 16", and not in general T2 machines).

It seems to happens only on specific applications and following particolar actions, like stopping a playback.

It seems (AppleInsider) that Apple recognised the problem as a software problem, and that the latest Catalina upgrade solved or reduced the issue.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

My son's backpack is filled with dongles for his 2018 MB Pro and I feel sorry for him.

I use a thin, lightweight PC laptop for work and my bag is full of dongles too.

My inlaws are elderly. Enhanced security on Mac has made my life easier in that regard but I feel the pain when I'm working on my system. Apple always has these little hiccups like the fusion drive but eventually the audio industry catches up. Some faster than others... RME