Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vulfpeck - Live at Madison Square Garden

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome to see such a heavily instrumental act full of great players really doing it live fill a stadium of this size with fans and joy.

Also have to note this achievement happened through gigging and the internet. This is not a billboard hot 100 act and they don't get "radio play".

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Love their stuff, quirky yet entertaining and it grabs your ears. Back in ~2000, I went to see Bela Fleck and the Flecktones play a good size local venue. The place sold out and the reception was great - and this was in a town where they have zero airplay. Like Vulfpeck, it's nice to see an act that is NOT on the Billboard Top 100 enjoying success.

I watched this a second time, then replayed a few of my favourite tunes. Some of the things that struck me about this performance:

- Musicianship from every member of the band is off the charts.

- The percussionist really helped to broaden-out their sound, as did the various guest performers

- I really like the sound of the CP80 here - it's tone is far more mellow than the typical "crunchy" CP80 sound I'm (incorrectly?) familiar with.

- The camera keeps rolling for the entire performance! If there were any cuts, I didn't notice them. Love the 16mm film look!

- Very few (and certainly no major) mistakes.

- You can clearly see how thrilled the band are to be playing MSG.

- I loved seeing members and guest performers chilling out on the couch when not playing

- There was an "timeless epic" sense to this performers - I feel like folks will still be watching this in 40 years time!

- Jack's Mum leading the group breathing exercise was a lovely touch!

I remain speechless at how awesome this band is!

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Wow, cool band! I appreciate how each of the players have their own body expression, and are not afraid to just show their over the top excitement in any way it comes out. Haven't really seen much of that before.

So they're obviously using IEMs, not much on the stage in the way of monitors other than some guitar amps with mics. Which gives them the freedom to be setup so far apart. But I don't know if I'd want that much space between me and other players, the visual cues and proximity convey alot of excitement and connection between players. But I've never played with all star players with top notch equipment and techs, that would make a huge difference. But how about you, would this wide open playing arrangement, other than the guitars and bass, would that suit you?

So it seems that the camera guy is literally walking all over the stage, including in front of the person on the mic! Have never seen this kind video shooting, usually it's designed to be unseen. Sure does make for some great footage! And getting that guys mom on stage to do a guided movement/meditation?! Good stuff!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

But I don't know if I'd want that much space between me and other players, the visual cues and proximity convey alot of excitement and connection between players. But how about you, would this wide open playing arrangement, other than the guitars and bass, would that suit you?

I can honestly say yes. The bigger the stage the better. Particularly if every member of the band has their own monitor send, as one of the bands I"m in does.

Big stages are never quite as big as they look from the audience"s perspective, and it"s certainly not like the Vulfpeck guys are so far apart they can"t feed off each other"s energy. Particularly with how mobile they are!

By the way, I loved this video so much! I can"t properly express how happy it made me.

I work with the percusssion player in a local Stevie Nicks tribute band. He just sent a link to this concert out to all of us in the band this morning!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

So it seems that the camera guy is literally walking all over the stage, including in front of the person on the mic! Have never seen this kind video shooting, usually it's designed to be unseen. Sure does make for some great footage!

Video from another perspective shows him walking around chewing gum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7P2ZyK2jl0, which, eh, but I guess you get used to it, and the results from his camera are fun.

And getting that guys mom on stage to do a guided movement/meditation?! Good stuff!

They also brought out Jack's mom when when I saw them in Ann Arbor. I saw them with my 6-year-old at a shorter matinee advertised as "an introduction to modular funk for children", whatever that means. She showed us how to do the Funky Duck.

By the way, I loved this video so much! I can"t properly express how happy it made me.

Yes, totally agree!

I literally felt myself buzzing with energy while watching this.

It's incredible.

They also brought out Jack's mom when when I saw them in Ann Arbor. I saw them with my 6-year-old at a shorter matinee advertised as "an introduction to modular funk for children", whatever that means. She showed us how to do the Funky Duck.

Wow, I'd love to see that! ;)

The camera man is the guitarist Ryan Lerman (who plays at 35' on the show too!).

You can see him on rythm guitar with Theo Katzman (Vulf singer / drummer) alongside friends who are not bad either (and not too well known ...)! :laugh:

[video:youtube]

Wurlitzer 200A, Steinmann upright and numerous electronic disposable instrumentsâ¦

Great video, James. I really enjoy Vulfpeck"s enthusiasm and funky style. Thanks for sharing!

On a related note, musician fans of Vulfpeck may want to check out Vulf Compressor, which came into being when Vulfpeck"s Jack Stratton called two friends, Devin Kerr and Rob Stenson (co-founders of Goodhertz), and asked them to make a 'vinyl sim' compression plugin similar to the one included in the Boss SP-303 Dr. Sample sampler.

The result is an instant, larger-than-life vintage sound that breathes character into both sampled and live sources. Here it is on drums:

More at:

Goodhertz | Vulf Compressor

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I tried listening to some of their albums on Spotify before, but it never took. This concert however is great! You feel their excitement and energy as if you're with them on stage. Great to see all those musicians being themselves and having fun!

It does get me GAS'ing after a CP80 again. What a great sounding instrument!

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

Pan-above. I was introduced to Vulfpeck casually after hearing them on the Sirius-XM Jam-on channel. Radio stuff struck me as pretty good so I added them to my Spotify artists. Bottom line, I was a casual listener. This concert, though, is complete bonkers. Thanks to James for highlighting. I listened to the concert straight-through which is not an easy feat for a 1.5 hr YouTube live video. It boggles my mind when a band can reach past all of the barriers (asynchronous, setting, sound, video, display device, etc.) and connect with a YouTube audience.

So many cool moments that I am keen to highlight, but it turns out it would be way too many comments. What crowd sings a 'G" tone on cue? Maybe that"s a usual audience game for their followers. Don"t want to name it my favorite full concert live video but it now makes the list. Interestingly, the YouTube commentariat actually had a lot of positive and spot on things to say. That almostnever happens.

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

Holy crap! Where did this band come from? I've never heard of them but ditto to all the accolades above.

My faith in current bands and music has been restored.

The Internet, mostly. But Ann Arbor.

I'd read up on them if you want to hear about some of the smartest DYI career moves made by any artist in the last five or six years.

Holy crap! Where did this band come from? I've never heard of them but ditto to all the accolades above.

My faith in current bands and music has been restored.

The Internet, mostly. But Ann Arbor.

I'd read up on them if you want to hear about some of the smartest DYI career moves made by any artist in the last five or six years.

Yes. Vulfpeck is also networked with Jack Conte/Scary Pockets. What an amazing ecosystem of musicianship and business savvy!

On a related note, musician fans of Vulfpeck may want to check out Vulf Compressor, which came into being when Vulfpeck"s Jack Stratton called two friends, Devin Kerr and Rob Stenson (co-founders of Goodhertz), and asked them to make a 'vinyl sim' compression plugin similar to the one included in the Boss SP-303 Dr. Sample sampler.

Good call Geoff!

The Vulf Compressor seems like voodoo magic. I have no idea how it works, but the examples I have heard (in this video and elsewhere) are incredible!

Cheers,

James

x

I couldn't be happier for them. What a joyous performance. They played a similar set with an expanded lineup (no Chris Thile or Dave Koz but most of the other guests) when I saw them at Kings Theatre in Brooklyn last year, but you can see by the looks on their faces (and the camera's emphasis on the size of the crowd) that this gig is really a crown jewel for them.

Really drives home one of my favorite things about them: for an indie band, they don't do anything the way you're "supposed to," and they succeed anyway. I remember reading Ari Herstand's blog talking about all of the "missed opportunities" of their LA record release show for their first full-length in 2015. Ari Herstand has yet to play Madison Square Garden (I think he's come around to Vulfpeck's way of doing things since then).

Some of those guys can play no doubt. It just comes off showboating though.
I think the showboating is part of what you go see them for -- I mean, one of their first released songs in the early 2010s, Beastly, was essentially a bass solo vehicle. They've developed an audience that loves that, because they make being good at your instruments accessible, fun, and a team sport, rather than ego-driven and competitive. Conversely, though, I'd say a lot of their material is very deliberately non-showboaty. They'll play a groove and a simple lick and no solos, and that's the tune. Woody Goss, their primary keyboard player, is arguably their strongest pure musician -- he's got serious jazz chops -- but most of his playing with Vulfpeck is incredibly restrained. I've often heard people say that they feel the band plays grooves, but not songs. It's closer to Snarky Puppy (or even, dare I say, Stuff) than it is to a band like Phish, but even Snarky Puppy is more of a hardcore jazzer project than Vulfpeck, which is much humbler and less formal in its material and executtion. The last few years, they've been doing more 50/50 instrumentals and vocal tunes, and some of the vocal songs are incredibly well-written and catchy, but unlike Joey Dosik and Theo Katzman's solo projects, songwriting isn't the primary emphasis of the band. The expectation they've set is "let's see what this rhythm section will deliver now," and that's what their fans get excited about, along with the built-in improv comedy and increasingly impressive guest musicians.

The Vulf Compressor seems like voodoo magic. I have no idea how it works, but the examples I have heard (in this video and elsewhere) are incredible!
It's not entirely voodoo; you still have to figure out when and how to apply it like any compression plugin. That said, I love it, and it's a brilliant tool for bringing out ambience, grit, and general je ne sais quois in small-room DIY recordings (or any recording, for that matter).

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Another +1

There are lots of great Vulfpeck songs that I enjoy listening to (and watching), however this one is perhaps my favourite - not least because my wife also likes it. ;)

This is probably the best version too, thanks in part to the stellar guest performers.

James

x

I've listened to this show a few times now and have to say the rhythm section is amazing. It feels they just lay a blanket on top of everything to bind all parts together. The mixing engineers did a fantastic job on the drums too, real smooth recording. Love this more and more.
Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

This thread is my first exposure to Vulfpeck. One of my friends just mentioned them to me recently and I'll be checking them out more closely. I had a chance to listen to a few of the songs in the first video and I was digging it! Love seeing a CP on stage.