Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casiotone S300 as really cheap travel keyboard?

I'm going to be flying over to a neighboring Hawaiian island to meet up with my inlaws. There will definitely be some jamming. I'm thinking of getting the cheapest, simplest 61key board available. The Casiotone S300 is lightweight, has built-in speakers, can even be battery powered, and at $140, if one of the "baggage throwers" destroys it, no big loss.. I have no interest in the "phat beats" or retro attempts and 80s synths. This would be mostly piano/wurli/organ for sing-alongs... basically campfire stuff. Unfortunately, all of the videos and reviews of the thing don't really highlight it's basic meat-and-potato keyboard sounds. I figure in 2019, when a $3 iPhone app can sound better than a $4k workstation in the 90s, it's hard to imagine the sounds being too terrible, but I just don't know.

What do ya think?

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine yesterday. Totally impressed with this board. You won"t mistake it for a Kurz or Nord, but it"s tons of fun. The keys have a sandpaperish feel, but there is velocity sensitivity and the pitch wheel is pretty sturdy. Sound set is surprisingly wide for the price. You"ll need a 1/8' to 1/4' adapter for external amplification, but there is a sustain pedal jack. I haven"t explored the USB capabilities, but I know this much: my grandson is going to be disappointed because I bought it for him, and it"s a keeper. Blame Mike Martin for packing so much coolness into this package.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

:laugh:

Alright! Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good idea then! I almost wish there was a 49key version, then I could possibly sneak it in carryon (my Seaboard Rise49 didn't raise any eyebrows for 2 international trips). This one will obviously need to be stowed, but I can just keep the shipping box, which is often fine for air travel. The Roland Go:Piano looked like another option, but at $350, I'd be a little more dubious about air travel... it also looks like it has a larger footprint. The Casiotone is so lightweight, I found Zzounds.com has Hawaii Shipping for only $15. I prefer Sweetwater, but their Alaska/Hawaii shipping (the two states I've lived in the past 20 years) is pretty high.

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Glad I could help. My Casio days started with a VL- Tone, and this board has a major fun factor that is similar. For the price point it"s decent: No triple strike pianos or Hammond clone wizardry, but way better than General MIDI . I think the premise here is the fun factor. No problem grabbing it by the handle, dragging it to my patio, and serenading the neighborhood through my Pignose amp, or noodling on it when stuck in traffic. It is a great tool for teaching beginners and even comes with a music rack.

I think you"ll enjoy it as much as I do.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

This is a case of Casio competing with itself!

The CT-S300 looks like a great form factor, and would be very inviting for younger folks to jump in. However, for just $20 more, in the same line, they have the LK-S250, with lighted keys! That's got to be entertaining and I've heard it's not strickly a gimmick, it can help the super beginning students. Plus, it has a mic in which the S300 doesn't, however it doesn't have a pitch bend wheel.

And then, for just $15 more, the CTX-700 is supposed be a hell of a board. It came out not long before the Casiotones, and got rave reviews for sound quality. Instead of the streamlined board like the S300, it looks more like one of the standard issue cheap Casio boards that've been around so long. ALOT of board for the money, with more sounds and capabilities, but it's also 2 pounds heavier and 3 1/2" deeper. It also has a mic in as well as a line in.

As much as I'd be inclined towards the CTX-700, the more capable and better sounding board (it might be good enough for a rehearsal), for your needs you might want to go with the S300 or LK-S250 for the cuteness and simplicity factor. Hell, it even has a built-in handle!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Yeah, I suspect this is a case where different sub-divisions had different ideas, and they just went with all of them... I get having different levels in order to up-sell consumers, but in this case, the 3 higher lines each offer different competing features. Furthermore, the numbering systems don't scream "buy me, I'm better!"

In any case, the S300 looks like the right choice for what I need right now, don't really have use for a mic or lighted keys.

Please report back with your review. The Casiotones look very appealing!

The CT-S300 is ridiculously fun. The form factor is so small and our team in Tokyo really did an awesome job with the overall build - it is very solid. It also has a new keyboard action which is quick and responsive. I've referred to it as the Ukulele of keyboards :laugh: .

It is really fun to take everywhere but also at home on your desk in front of your computer.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Is there any sound in there that is inspiring? I have a Yamaha NP12. It's good for practicing when mobility is important, but very uninspiring to play - probably because ever sound apparently has only one velocity layer. Are there e.g. more layers for AP or EP in the S300?
2019 W.Hoffmann T122 upright, Roland FP-50, Roland RD64, Korg Microkorg

For Island jamming, I'll take the organic tone of a Melodica over any budget electronic keyboard.

I wish there were more 49-key options in the battery-powered genre. 49 keys is backpack-able and carryon-able, 61 keys much less so, and 49 keys works fine for 2-handed playing.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Is there any sound in there that is inspiring? I have a Yamaha NP12. It's good for practicing when mobility is important, but very uninspiring to play - probably because ever sound apparently has only one velocity layer. Are there e.g. more layers for AP or EP in the S300?

Some of the sounds are two layers. That being said, the very wide variety of tones in the CT-S300 and the added plus of having some drum patterns makes it quite a bit different than the NP series.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

"Ukelele of keyboards", as a Hawai resident, I both laugh and cry at that statement. I was just thinking of getting my brother-in-law an Uke for Christmas.

But I would agree a 49key version would be the ULTIMATE travel board. I find 4 octaves to be sufficient for low-key group jamming scenarios. 5octaves becomes suddenly another class in size and a bit unwieldily for packing. I think the problem is, too many young people aren't jamming with friends these days, they're sitting in their bat caves making "beats" instead of playing badly with others and getting better. If you've got a friend with a guitar and a bass, 4 octaves suddenly becomes enough for simple stuff. I'm an 88 man myself, and when playing with my bands I'll use every key, but at a jam session... whatever is available I'll be happy with.

Melodicas... I've got one, but they're awkward group instruments. They tend to dominate and they make poor rhythm instruments. Most of the time when jamming, I'm comping, which means percussion-based keyboard instrument for me. B3 if I'm setup right. I'm not going to pretend to be a good melodica player, and bad melodica is an unholy experience. There are a million options for smaller lead keyboard instruments (small accordions, melodicas, tiny mono synths), but not a lot of options for good rhythm instruments. That's what I'm after.

And then, for just $15 more, the CTX-700 is supposed be a hell of a board. It came out not long before the Casiotones, and got rave reviews for sound quality. Instead of the streamlined board like the S300, it looks more like one of the standard issue cheap Casio boards that've been around so long. ALOT of board for the money, with more sounds and capabilities, but it's also 2 pounds heavier and 3 1/2" deeper. It also has a mic in as well as a line in.

That's what I have. I like it.... The plasticy keys squeak sometimes but I am just playing alone in my living room with it so I can ignore that. I've gotten a LOT of playing hours out of it and it holds up. Nice sounds too.

Does the S-300 have the same Grand Piano 1 as the CTX-700 ?

Besides the new textured keys, what else is difference between their key actions in terms of spring response and resistance? Besides the textured keys, is the S-300 action improved over the CTX-700 action for piano?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

"Ukelele of keyboards", as a Hawai resident, I both laugh and cry at that statement. I was just thinking of getting my brother-in-law an Uke for Christmas.

But I would agree a 49key version would be the ULTIMATE travel board. I find 4 octaves to be sufficient for low-key group jamming scenarios. 5octaves becomes suddenly another class in size and a bit unwieldily for packing. I think the problem is, too many young people aren't jamming with friends these days, they're sitting in their bat caves making "beats" instead of playing badly with others and getting better. If you've got a friend with a guitar and a bass, 4 octaves suddenly becomes enough for simple stuff. I'm an 88 man myself, and when playing with my bands I'll use every key, but at a jam session... whatever is available I'll be happy with.

Melodicas... I've got one, but they're awkward group instruments. They tend to dominate and they make poor rhythm instruments. Most of the time when jamming, I'm comping, which means percussion-based keyboard instrument for me. B3 if I'm setup right. I'm not going to pretend to be a good melodica player, and bad melodica is an unholy experience. There are a million options for smaller lead keyboard instruments (small accordions, melodicas, tiny mono synths), but not a lot of options for good rhythm instruments. That's what I'm after.

Yes, 49 keys is the ideal travel size! I do find it very limiting, don't like playing on less than 61 notes if I can help it.

I play a Yamaha Pianica 37 note melodica in jams all the time. It has a large protective case, but I just throw it in my backpack, it wouldn't come close to fitting and I have a large backpack. From the little I know, it's the best value under $100 for a melodica, and has the reputation of being much more in tune than even some more expensive ones. It's pretty tough, even without a case its held up well over time. As a keyboard player and former flute player, I hit the ground running with it.

I often don't really like the sound of the melodica, you're getting alot of harmonica kind of sound up close to your ears. But put it on a mic with generous reverb, come into and away from the mic for control of volume, and it sounds wonderful.

Same with my Yamaha alto recorder, another backpack friendly instrument. I played a soprano recorder for years until I realized it's challenging to not be too loud and shrill for others. The alto recorder is slower to play than the soprano but has such a lovely tone and really comes to life in reverberant spaces or with reverb. Even without reverb it can sound pretty sweet.

It's nice to have at least 2 wind instruments to change things up!

Besides the new textured keys, what else is difference between their key actions in terms of spring response and resistance? Besides the textured keys, is the S-300 action improved over the CTX-700 action for piano?

Cool, I was going to ask Mike about the action as well. Is it as good or better for organ / synth / piano / EPs than the Casiotones? Of course you're a company rep, so I'm only wondering what your personal preference is between these boards for different instrument types.

I just picked one up at my local dealer. When I walked in the door, they had LITERALLY just unpacked their first shipment and one was on the counter. I said, "I'll take that one, please!" and we were all shocked. I broke it out and jammed on it a bit. Halfway through I turned to them and said, "oh, by the way, I've decided to buy it, I'm just noodling!" They knocked $20 off because I did a funny impression of my band leader, who everyone knows in this town. I'm thoroughly impressed with the board as a whole for its price. The piano sounds are solid, the speakers are nice and loud, they've got some half-decent organs and synth tones. Their E Pianos are kind of un-recognizable (you can't really pick out a specific Wurli, Rhodes, DX7, etc) but quite workable... the one "FM Piano" they have sounds nothing like an FM Piano to my ears, but it's still pleasing. I didn't really bother going through all the noodly bells & whistles, that's not really what I got this for.

Compared to the Roland Go:Keys (obviously its main competitor). The two seem fairly similar. I didn't spend a lot of time with the Go:Keys, but the action was similar, though the texture of the Casio is superior. The Go:Keys has the edge on footprint, with ZERO bezel around the ends of the 61 keys, which I always prefer. The Casio has about 5cm on either end. However, the Casio is slightly shorter and has that nice handle. Go:Piano obviously has the edge, the action is NOTICEABLY better than the Go:Keys, and the piano sounds are superior to both. However, at almost 3x the price, the Casio totally wins on price point. The Go:Keys seems like a total dead-end now, only slightly cheaper than the Go:Piano while the Casiotone gives it a very serious run for its money. In the store I was worried that the hall reverb was built-in, but when I got it home, I quickly found how to shut it off or lower it down to a "Room" setting (there are about 8 settings in all). I tend to play pretty dry these days.

All-in-all a very serviceable travel keyboard. Ironically, the Piano sound absolutely CREAMS the piano on my Mojo61. However, locals have fallen in love with my organ (I've gotten into bubbling with the reggae crowd as of late), so I think I'll still break out the Mojo for most local jam sessions. I mostly bought it for the two trips I'm taking to big island to play with Alaskan friends. If I only use it for those two trips alone, it will be worth the money. Beyond that is just extra!

Thumbs up!

Cool, I was going to ask Mike about the action as well. Is it as good or better for organ / synth / piano / EPs than the Casiotones? Of course you're a company rep, so I'm only wondering what your personal preference is between these boards for different instrument types.

No it doesn't have the same sounds as the CT-X700. As for the action I'm really happy with it. I hope we'll see this action on other non-weighted Casio products moving forward, I prefer it to what we have on the CT-X series. It is quick and responsive, great for a variety sounds...quiet too.

-Mike Martin

Casio

I'm finally seeing a move away from "thin key" front style, even on low-end boards. I think this is a VERY positive development. Thin keys (there's got to be a proper name, but I don't know it) without a front or side skirt, always strike me as more prone to breaking, as something could easily get wedged in and snap it off during transport. It also worries me that dirt and grime could get into the mechanics much more easily. I was surprised that both the Casiotone and Go:Keys had skirts. 10 years ago, you pretty much only saw that on weighted beds or waterfall organs.

Also, I think I just have a natural psychosomatic response towards thin keys, I know it's silly, but I just feel more at ease when playing with piano-style keys, maybe because I grew up playing acoustic.

I feel the same way. Not sure why - maybe it's just psychology but maybe the feel is actually different?

Maybe? I dunno. Side skirt I do think you feel. If you're playing at the edge of the white keys, you can feel the edge of the next key. Front fall-off, I'm not so sure. Maybe the weighting would be different? But I dunno.

I am very curious about the spring response and keybed of the of the new action. I look forward to trying it, and perhaps having it appear in the next version of the CT-X series.

By the way, which CTX model allows a user:

1: Turn off the EP effects ?

2: Use Audio Out and keep the Internal Speakers On?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

No it doesn't have the same sounds as the CT-X700. As for the action I'm really happy with it. I hope we'll see this action on other non-weighted Casio products moving forward, I prefer it to what we have on the CT-X series. It is quick and responsive, great for a variety sounds...quiet too.

Thank You! AFAIK, most of the people who frequent this forum understand that the feel of the keybed is very subjective, so having an opinion, even while being a rep, is helpful.

I would imagine that the action on either of these lines are not that great for piano. Do you have a preference there? I imagine it'd be similar to the Numa Compact 2x, whether you're OK with it for it for piano would require playing it. Are the main piano sounds the same between these lines? I had a WK-7600 and a MZ-X500, and with both of those boards I was OK with the piano sounds, which was a surprise for me, esp with the 7600.

• 1 month later...

I've had an ongoing quest for a "couch keyboard" and recently got a Black Friday deal on a CT-S300 ($115). I only had a couple days to play with it before I had carpal tunnel and orbital tunnel surgery yesterday but I thought give my initial impressions while I'm recovering.

Here are my couch keyboard requirements with some comments on how well the CT-S300 meets them:

- 4-5 octaves with full size velocity sensitive keys

For a keyboard in this class, I really like it. It's light but has some resistance in the travel that makes it OK for playing piano and e-piano. I concur with Mike's comments.

- built-in sounds good enough to practice songs, voicings, scales

I was slightly disappointed in the main piano sound based on my expectations from watching demo videos. The attacks are decent but short sustain in the mid-range bothered me a bit. Didn't have a lot of time with other sounds bit found an epiano that was fun to play. But overall plenty good enough for my couch practice.

- minimal footprint

It does have a couple extra inches width to accommodate a pitch wheel and I wiil take that as a trade-off. The depth is fine. As a bonus, I love the buuit-in handle which doubles as the mounting for the music stand. The overall build is quite good for this price level. It doesn't look or feel like a toy.

- light weight so I can place on lap

Acceptable at 7 pounds (8 with batteries)

- speakers loud enough for acoustic jams in a small area

The speakers seem fine for this purpose. Not super-high fidelity bit I've heard much worse at higher prices.

- usb-midi class compliant for easy integration with iPad

Worked with no hassle using standard USB to iPad lightning connector.

- power via AC or rechargeable batteries

Worked fine with 6 AA Energizer NI-MH batteries (even though Casio says you must use Panasonic eneloop)I did not used the recommended

One annoyance: I had the idea that I would put the iPad on the music stand, connect USB midi and then run iPad audio output back to audio input on keyboard so I could use those stereo speakers. This "works" but introduces lots of digital noise (affected by cable positioning, display changes,etc) I tried various things to see if it would help (different cables, using AC power instead of batteries) all to no avail. I'm not too optimistic since the User Manual basically says not to do this configuration (while not explainng why):

"When connecting a smart device to the Digital Keyboard, do not connect both a USB cable and an audio cable at the same time."

Overall I'm quite pleased for the price and think I will use this a lot while watching football, golf,etc. and on vacation.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

One annoyance: I had the idea that I would put the iPad on the music stand, connect USB midi and then run iPad audio output back to audio input on keyboard so I could use those stereo speakers. This "works" but introduces lots of digital noise (affected by cable positioning, display changes,etc) I tried various things to see if it would help (different cables, using AC power instead of batteries) all to no avail. I'm not too optimistic since the User Manual basically says not to do this configuration (while not explainng why):

"When connecting a smart device to the Digital Keyboard, do not connect both a USB cable and an audio cable at the same time."

Overall I'm quite pleased for the price and think I will use this a lot while watching football, golf,etc. and on vacation.

Just a follow-up: After doing a web search, this appears to be a problem that is not unique to CT-S300. Many keyboards appear to exhibit this behavior in this configuration (Keyboard USB MIDI Out -> iPad, iPad audio out -> Keyboard audio in)..often referred to as "USB ground loop". I see that Mike Martin commented on a Casio forum that this as a general problem of the technologies involved, not necessarily a problem with a particular keyboard, i.e. it stems from the fact that USB is not grounded.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Just a follow-up: After doing a web search, this appears to be a problem that is not unique to CT-S300. Many keyboards appear to exhibit this behavior in this configuration (Keyboard USB MIDI Out -> iPad, iPad audio out -> Keyboard audio in)..often referred to as "USB ground loop". I see that Mike Martin commented on a Casio forum that this as a general problem of the technologies involved, not necessarily a problem with a particular keyboard, i.e. it stems from the fact that USB is not grounded.

To be more accurate, the problem is the fact that USB is not isolated (the way 5-pin MIDI is, for example). Can be solved with one of these: USB Ground Loop Isolator

- Jimbo