Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Early Christmas present to myself- Nektar Impact GX-61

So, I bought a Nektar IMPACT GX-1 MIDI keyboard controller from Sweetwater. (Gratuitous plug) ;) So, I can utilize the synth and organ apps on my iPad better. The reason why I went with the Impact, as it"s a pretty simple keyboard. Granted it doesn"t have Bluetooth, but I have an adapter from Apple that will work. I would have gone with KORG, but they only make micro keyboards or Nano Keyboards. No, I prefer full size keys. Anyway, will let everyone know how I like it, when it arrives in a few days.

Paul :)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up an IMPACT GX-61 earlier this year, for use primarliy in a teaching studio. It's worked out very well with my MacBook Pro as an instructional tool. Thinking I might integrate it with my iPad for live use. For a basic controller it has several thoughtful features; and the action is decent. I look forward to reading your impressions of the instrument, Paul.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I mention it, in that I have 2 acquaintances who recently purchased expensive keyboards. And neither practice scales.

I encouraged them to start, at least 5 minutes to start on the C scale, get a daily routine , then build on that.

They cuss me now, but will thank me later ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I mention it, in that I have 2 acquaintances who recently purchased expensive keyboards. And neither practice scales.

I encouraged them to start, at least 5 minutes to start on the C scale, get a daily routine , then build on that.

This keyboard only cost $149.00. Since it is a MIDI controller keyboard. I can do scales and play up and down the keyboard, and use both hands. The trick is not to get bored or loose interest. I can play simplified pieces very few, i might add. It"s trying to tackle a piece that is a bit more challenging. Especially trying to play with both hands at the same time.

This keyboard only cost $149.00. Since it is a MIDI controller keyboard. I can do scales and play up and down the keyboard, and use both hands. The trick is not to get bored or loose interest. I can play simplified pieces very few, i might add. It"s trying to tackle a piece that is a bit more challenging. Especially trying to play with both hands at the same time.

good to read you practice. Practice scales in all keys ? { sharps/flats }

I hear you about boredom on exercises. I get them out of the way first. If I only have 20 minutes of time in a particular day , exercises are completed for that 20 minute day.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I still run scales, a few times a week. The major scales are okay, similar to the tempo I did them in my 20s. The minor scale are a different experience now. My 4th fingers in both hands tend to hit too lightly, or miss, if I don't keep up on those. Also noticed that fingers 4-5 can skip when playing quick patterns on a non-weighted action (like the Impact GX-61), but when done on my acoustic piano or weighted-action 'boards they generally do fine. I just have to prioritize technique practice; noticing that more as I get older.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I have the nektar lx49. Among many other comparable controllers (I accumulate controllers).It's pretty decent. Not fancy like the novation impulse but has 9 sliders and keys that feel good for organ vst's. 2 of these, a vent and a tablet with vb3 and I'm ready to rock.

FunMachine.

I still run scales, a few times a week. The major scales are okay, similar to the tempo I did them in my 20s. The minor scale are a different experience now. My 4th fingers in both hands tend to hit too lightly, or miss, if I don't keep up on those. Also noticed that fingers 4-5 can skip when playing quick patterns on a non-weighted action (like the Impact GX-61), but when done on my acoustic piano or weighted-action 'boards they generally do fine. I just have to prioritize technique practice; noticing that more as I get older.

I do have a Casio Digital Piano if i want to practice scales. The Nektar is really for the synth and organ apps on my iPad.

So the controller arrived today, from Sweetwater! It"s a very good and easy to use keyboard. The keys feel comfortable, it"s lightweight so it can be carried easily. I can download BitWig 8 track sequencer, it has buttons on the side to control the sequencer. Nice Pitch and Mod wheels. Octave and Transpose buttons, shift key, set up key all light up, even has a volume knob. Comes with a USB cable, and a printed manual. Since I already had a Apple camera adapter, I was able to connect the Keyboard to my iPad. Nektar has a Winner.