Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nikon Shuttering Its Authorized Repair Centers

Nikon Shuttering Its Authorized Repair Centers

Nikon is shutting down its authorized repair program at the end of March, 2020. According to an email sent to authorized repair shops, and confirmed by Nikon Inc. (see update), Nikon users in the United States will soon have to rely exclusively on Nikon itself for any repairs that require special parts, tools, or trainingâthat is: almost all repairs.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not suprised by this. The market for cameras is shrinking overall.

More people are happy with cell phone cameras and many are moving to mirrorless systems.

Mirrorless cameras have fewer moving parts and are simpler to manufacture so margins can be a little better.

Nikon and Canon are both late to that game and not offering smaller, nimble options yet.

Still a battle for the consumer dollars with plenty of competition.

I don't think the outcome will be glorious for photographers.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I don't think I realized they had (or still had) authorized repair centers all across the country. That was the norm years ago, but it almost seems quaint nowadays so I pretty much didn't realize they existed any more.

I've used their official repair facility in Melville, NY one time, and the service there was great. Turnaround time was about ten days, so I'm kind of surprised to read the comments on that article complaining otherwise. I know, I know, my sample size is just 1.0... One the other hand, if you have a Leica camera of any kind, try sending it to THEIR official service facility some time... You might get it back in nine months! With zero communication.