Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I hate Electronics ......

I use my Voce V5+ with a Vent for quick setup gigs or small gigs as the Gemini module requires a more extensive setup. Sometimes the extensive isn"t justified or there just isn't time for it. Last night"s gig was an in between gig, so I brought both the large 2 keyboard setup and Gemini as well as being prepared for a quick setup. Due to a number of issues I arrived at the gig and needed a fairly quick setup so I decided to go with my quick setup.

The Voce unit was buzzing, squealing loudly, the sound was distorted and at a very low volume. It plugs into the Vent, so trouble shooting I bypassed everything and plugged it directly into the mixer using the cable that was delivering a clean signal from my PC3, thus eliminating cable, mixer channel and potential Vent issues. Same noise issues. I swapped out the midi cable from the PC3 to the Voce, same issues. Getting late, I switched to KB3 organ into the Vent and off we went (it sounded horrible to me although the bass player told me the organ sound great :crazy:) . The only thing left was the powered wall wart that the Voce uses; I had an extra in my bag and in between sets I gave that a shot; same problem. The board sounded like it was fried. I have a backup V5+ but it had C/V issues and the C/V sounds like a helicopter. This was due to someone plugging into my power strip and causing an extremely loud pop that seemed to blow the C/V circuit a few years ago. That unit acts as my backup in case the current one I have dies.

Today I decided to due some testing. Set it up using last nights exact cords, plugs, mixer, Vent, keyboard, everything identical except the electric (obviously). Works fine. Played around with it, shook the unit thinking that maybe something was loose, it still plays perfectly. Played it for about 15 minutes with no issues. Now I go and get my backup V5+ that I haven"t used in 4 years; it had a bad C/V issue. Plugged it in and it also plays perfectly! The C/V works fine, no helicopter noises that I had. Played it for 15 minutes and no issues with it; went back to the original V5 that I started the testing with and it is still working fine. So I went from what I thought was a dead V5+ and a backup with C/V issues to two V5+"s that appear to be working fine. Electronics just drive me nuts. I will be bringing both to the small gigs as I figure when I get to the gig one or both will have issues going forward. I cannot explain why both of them had no issues working today. Electronics drive me crazy!!!

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had almost the exact same issue with my Sledge the other week.

Show up to a band open mic/showcase thing, set up to play three songs but brought both keyboards anyway cause it's a fun band and we hadn't played in almost two years. Sledge doesn't turn on. Swap cables, power bars, check them with my Nord (same PSU), nothing. Come back home, all good the next day. Not sure if something came loose inside during travel (hadn't played it since flying back from a tour) and then magically came back together or if it was a power/electronics issue, but leaning towards that.

Super frustrating, super stressful. :mad:

Impossible to solve over the internet.

I would consider adding one of these to your gig kit.

All it takes is one imbecile apprentice electrician hooking up the power circuits.

If not, at least that variable has been eliminated.

https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instruments-GFI6302-Receptacle-Professional/dp/B000RUL2UU/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=plug+in+circuit+tester&qid=1575745769&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-4

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Hahaha,- I have that always ...

Especially when callin´ my tech and when he arrives,- all works fine for the moment (hrs or day though ...).

You´ll really need to own enough of that crap to survive and get the job done (and have replacement-gear in service-rotation).

Meanwhile,- too expensive ...

But was very easy late 70s, 80s, 90s.

Better fees in these decades.

A.C.

All it takes is one imbecile apprentice electrician hooking up the power circuits.
Here ya go:

469.jpg

Sorry to hear that brother Dave, it is indeed frustrating. I had a recurring noise issue with my PC3 a while back, took it into the shop, and the technician was unable to replicate the problem. Cost me an hour of bench time ($$). :mad:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Digital electronics are very sensitive to bad power. I would travel with a line conditioner. Not just a power strip or a regular RFI eliminator, but a unit that actually re-synthesizes the power to provide a steady, stable, noise free 110VAC. I recommend the Tripp Lite LC-1200. You can find them used for around $100.

Thanks Jim. I use a Tripplite LC1200. Permanently kept in my bag and used every gig. Used it last night and in testing today. I can't even explain how the problematic C/V on my other Voce mysteriously works without noise after sitting for 4 years in my basement. The C/V issue is what prompted me to purchase the 2nd Voce and relegate the C/V damaged one to a backup. Now it works fine as well.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

So.... is the Tripp Lite 1200 as good as an UPS? I thought the UPS was the gold standard, wasn't aware of line conditioners, have only heard of power strips that have surge protection and noise filtering.

I ask cause i often run my keyboards off of battery power, usually with sine wave inverters, though sometimes I've used modified sine wave inverters. Am wondering now if I need a line conditioner to keep my keyboards safe, esp as the system shuts down at some point when the battery is spent for the day, and when I'm asking for too much bass and either the inverter shuts me down or the battery doesn't supply enough juice (haven't figure out which it is).

So you use the line tester that someone linked in this thread, it's not right, does the line conditioner correct for that? I imagine that'd be easy for a UPS to correct, but they're pricier, heavier and bigger.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Sorry to hear that brother Dave, it is indeed frustrating. I had a recurring noise issue with my PC3 a while back, took it into the shop, and the technician was unable to replicate the problem. Cost me an hour of bench time ($$). :mad:

We practice at our bass players house. Even though i use a balanced cord into his Yamaha mixer my PC3 buzzes. I started using a ground lift on my electrical plug and the buzz disappeared. My PC3 does not buzz at my own house nor at any establishments I play except for one. And the solution at that establshment was a ground lift on the electrical plug.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Sounds like dirty power and possibly low power too. To many places the stage is all on one circuit so a big power draw especially if guitar/bass with tube gear. that Tripp Lite 1200 is interesting in it doesn't call itself a UPS, but it's description describes what it does is a UPS. I'll have to check one of those out, sounds like it would be good for my practice room.

Impossible to solve over the internet.

I would consider adding one of these to your gig kit.

If not, at least that variable has been eliminated.

https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instruments-GFI6302-Receptacle-Professional/dp/B000RUL2UU/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=plug+in+circuit+tester&qid=1575745769&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-4

DD,

Was surprised you didn't try to answer at least my last question, which referenced the above line tester. Seems relevant to your query, does the line conditioner you have address the issues the line tester points out? Or does it take a UPS to address those problems? Using a ground lifter won't solve those problems.

My take on this forum is it's not only about giving us all a chance to use google more, it's also about sharing relevant info that would be helpful to all.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Don't feel bad. I'm an EE with 30+ years experience and I'm currently dealing with a mysterious hum/buzz with a guitar amp. It misbehaves at the practice room, but when I check it at home it is fine?!? None of my other gear is doing this, just the amp. The amp is mic'd so there's no direct connection to anything else. Very very weird. I'm beginning to suspect the house wiring at the practice room as I'm almost out of options.

So.... is the Tripp Lite 1200 as good as an UPS? I thought the UPS was the gold standard, wasn't aware of line conditioners, have only heard of power strips that have surge protection and noise filtering.

I ask cause i often run my keyboards off of battery power, usually with sine wave inverters, though sometimes I've used modified sine wave inverters. Am wondering now if I need a line conditioner to keep my keyboards safe, esp as the system shuts down at some point when the battery is spent for the day, and when I'm asking for too much bass and either the inverter shuts me down or the battery doesn't supply enough juice (haven't figure out which it is).

So you use the line tester that someone linked in this thread, it's not right, does the line conditioner correct for that? I imagine that'd be easy for a UPS to correct, but they're pricier, heavier and bigger.

Randelph, here is what the Tripplite does:

It adjusts under- and overvoltages to provide safe, computer-grade AC power that meets ANSI C84.1 specifications. The automatic voltage regulation (AVR) offers three levels of voltage stabilization that corrects undervoltages as low as 89V and overvoltages as high as 147V back to regulated 120V nominal power. Providing optimum voltage conditions not only extends the life of your equipment, but also keeps your equipment working through brownouts and prolonged overvoltage conditions.

Is it better than a UPS, I don't know, I'm not an EE. I just don't understand what happened Friday night (i was using the Tripplite so I know the unit was supplying the correct voltage) and I also can't explain how the other Voce unit I have that had a C/V circuit problem suddenly fixed itself.....

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Don't feel bad. I'm an EE with 30+ years experience and I'm currently dealing with a mysterious hum/buzz with a guitar amp. It misbehaves at the practice room, but when I check it at home it is fine?!? None of my other gear is doing this, just the amp. The amp is mic'd so there's no direct connection to anything else. Very very weird. I'm beginning to suspect the house wiring at the practice room as I'm almost out of options.

When I worked at Sound City we had what they called isolation transformers we used on noisy guitar amps. I'm no EE all I remember it was a BIG and heavy transformer with a cord coming out one side to plug into the wall outlet, then an outlet on the other side to plug the guitar amp into. It would quiet down noisy guitar amps. Also all the rheostats for dimming lights in the control room and studio were really big units they said were required to avoid hum. Also SC was built in an factory building so they punched holes in the concrete floor and drill down and put in 6' copper rods for grounds. They did what they could to clean up the power in the studio.