Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Walkmen, DVDs, and Retro Tech

This is a pretty interesting article on why some tech just won't go away. I'm paring down my CD collection of stuff I don't play, but still, I like being able to play CDs and DVDs. Granted, some of that may be due to having my streaming dependent on AT&T and its execrable performance...

But I don't know if I could go for cassettes. And I don't think vinyl sounds better. I thought maybe it's the "carry with you" aspect, but you can carry around all your music on a phone. It's not nostalgia if the people into retro tech were born after 2000.

So what's the appeal to people who didn't grow up with it? Is it really the concept of actually owning something, as mentioned in the article?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still purchase music on CDs - largely because I can copy it to a computer, then memory stick for auto sound system, load it into phone & iPad; and, yes, I do like the idea that the physical media does belong to me and can't be retroactively sucked back. I do have one cassette player left, doesn't get used much, but there are a few items that I don't have in other media. I CAN tell a difference in early Moody Blues vinyl albums and the later released CDs (the music was remastered), have three vinyl albums given to me one year, but no longer have a way to play them.

I have both DVDs and Blu Ray (a couple). The media was purchased in the past, doesn't take up a huge amount of storage space, and is still usable on a DVD player and several computers.

Now, I never collected thousands (or even hundreds) of titles, but DO like most of the purchased titles.

In the car, haven't listened to FM radio at all in several years, just play what I put on the flash drive. Have no desire to EVER get sucked into Sirius XM, got the free 90 days when I bought the car, saw no reason to continue.

Media wise, my primary computer hosts all of the music, but can be reached from any computer in the home over the network.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Media wise, my primary computer hosts all of the music, but can be reached from any computer in the home over the network.

That's something I should be doing! Are you using shared folders in Windows, or what? I have a spare computer sitting around, it would make a fine server that holds only music.

I purchase movies on DVD and Blu-Ray, and I still buy physical CDs as well, not just because I hate the idea of someone else deciding when I can have access to the music I love, but also because I know for a fact that buying even one CD will put more money in most musicians' pockets than streaming revenue ever will. If we want to support our community, buying well-made physical product does make a difference.

Vinyl's resurgence I can sort of understand: the big packages, lovely artwork, the sensual experience of playing records... the sound may not match digital's (and can be better or worse), but the overall experience is unique.

Cassettes? Really? No, REALLY? I'm sorry but going back to cassettes jumps the shark in a big way. They were our currency back in the 1980s, because you could dupe a bunch of cassettes way cheaper than pressing an LP, and CDs were unheard of for ordinary folks... the cassette culture, in which I participated, was important because back in the day, that was all folks had. In today's world, there is practically no form of digital music encoding/decoding and delivery that sounds demonstrably worse than a cassette, and digital files can be played anywhere. Put up a digital album on Bandcamp and you'll beat the quality of any cassette out there... I simply can't imagine why anyone under 40 would actively seek out cassettes as a medium. Bleagh!

I was at a boutique synth store in New York and saw that they had a gizmo on sale that let you stuff a cassette in it and manually wind the tape back and forth, sending the resulting audio to a modular synthesizer. They wanted over $300 for it.

Waiter! Check, please!

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I have LPs, CDs, Cassettes, WAV and MP3 music.

Depending on the music, I like the sound of fresh, clean, unworn vinyl better than CDs. Something about the tone that I can't describe. But once the surface noise and wear and tear on the grooves sets in, the CD will sound better to me.

I recorded a lot of my music on cassettes, in the day that it was the only portable media I could play in the car (I know 8 tracks, but changing tracks in the middle of a song was NOT an option).

While working on the Cruise Ships in the 1980s I bought a lot of local music on cassette. I have desires to digitize it some day as the music is not available any other way, but life gets in the way.

At home I mostly play CDs. I've even recorded much of my vinyl on CD because of the convenience.

I have a digital walkman with about 10,000 of my own tunes ripped as an mp3 file, and that goes in the car. With road noise, super high fidelity is wasted, and the ability to carry 10,000 tunes on something that small appeals to me.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

I still prefer to buy on CD, then rip. When driving I stream from thumb drives. Much better audio quality than Bluetooth from my phone. At home I either stream from my computer to Sonos or put a CD in my stereo for times that I want the quality audio experience. I never listen to radio anymore. My two "rental" services are Apple Music and Amazon.

My college age great nephew has been bitten by the LP bug. I plan to give him what is left of my collection. I lost hundreds of lp's when my parents' basement flooded. Less than 50 lp's survived. I don't know what got him wanting lp's but I bought him a cheap player last year for his birthday. He is asking for lp's for Christmas. His interest almost got me started again. I bought a few lp's and then decided they are too big and cumbersome.

A month ago a cousin ask me what she could do with her parents old 78's. Sell them, give them away, or just trash them. I suggested she pick some titles, frame them with a label stating "from the library of", and give them to cousins who were close to her parents. She jumped on that idea. I think I am getting a 78 fir Christmas.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I still prefer to buy on CD, then rip. When driving I stream from thumb drives. Much better audio quality than Bluetooth from my phone.

:yeahthat:

this is me, 100%

I would actually still use a CD in my vehicle if it had a CD player

:nopity:

On long trips (8 to 12 hours) I was overheating my CD player. Now I treat thumb drives like CD's. I buy packs that come with a variety of colors and only put around 4GB on each. More than that and my car stereo has trouble indexing all of the songs. It is easy to reach into the console and grab red for rock, blue for jazz, pink for electronic, etc... Much easier than trying to read labels.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I buy CDs and DVDs. I rip them and play the backups (perfectly legal), and store the originals away. mp3s go on an expendable media device for the car, rather than risk damage to the original.

Started doing this 15 fifteen years ago when broadcast radio s*cked and I discovered that the car radio could play mp3 CDs. So I made mp3 CDs based on genres such as classic rock, fusion, blues, classical, etc. Stuff that I do not hear on radio. I pop in the CD for whatever I'm in the mood for, press RANDOM PLAY, and it's like having my own radio station without the damn ads. Sooooooo liberating.

I will NEVER buy vinyl records again. They sound like sh*t, are unreliable, and I have yet to buy a CD that skips.

My car has a cassette player, and a 5-disk CD changer, too. It's been quite a while since I've used the CD player, but the cassette deck gets regular use on trips "playing" an adapter that I connect to my phone, on to which I load music. It does have an FM radio, however, so it's almost right up to date. No digital FM. Around town I listen to the local classical music station.

You'd think that a Lexus with a CD and Cassette player would have Bluetooth, or at least a line level analog input, but Noooooo. I think Bluetooth was just about invented in 2002 when I bought the car. All the rental cars that I've had in the past few years have Bluetooth so I can play my phone through the car's audio system (they don't call it a radio any more). But it seems that every brand has its own take on the user interface for the audio system and I have to spend ten or fifteen minutes figuring out how to just get it to play once I've "paired" the phone with the car. I've tried using the phone as a USB disk drive and playing the music files without using Bluetooth. It works with some cars, others don't even see it, though they do see a real USB thumb drive. So I ask myself why I don't just leave the phone in my pocket and put all the audio files on a thumb drive. I usually forget.

My car is so old it doesn't have a USB port. It does have a mini phone jack "aux" input which is why the digital Walkman.

I don't put long songs on the walkman because if I got to the parking space and there was 15 minutes of a symphony left, I'd have to finish it before I get out of the car. So most of the songs are 10 minutes or less.

If I want to go on a long trip and listen to symphonies or entire albums, I'll use the CD slot. Either way I'm glad I'm not still recording my music on cassettes to take in the car like I did years ago.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

My car doesn't have any kind of physical media player but it has USB and will stream from a thumb drive or my phone, so I will either play music from my iTunes library or plug in a stick especially if I'm getting familiar with tunes I need to learn for a gig but don't want to permanently add to my library.

About my only appeal with cassettes are the mix tapes I made years ago. Some include songs I don't have on any other format, and just the order of songs tends to take me back to the time when I was listening to that tape. The quality isn't good enough to make me rip it digitally from the tape - If I want it that way, I'll just re-purchase it. But still something nostalgic about popping in that snapshot of a particular time in my life.

I've been disappointed at how my CD's have held up. I have a huge collection, and it seems like even some that have just sat in their cases for a long time don't play well anymore. I think part of it is newer CD players. I was using my PS3 to play CD's, DVD's, and Blu-rays and a lot of CD's won't play on it. I brought up and old portable CD player from the basement and many play better on that. If I decide to rip them using a CD drive on my computer, usually most of them will rip OK. But that's time consuming and cumbersome, so often I'll just listen to them on Spotify even though I already own the CD.

Records are another story. For me the special thing about playing records is the process of putting it on the turntable, setting down the needle, and looking at the cover and liner notes. It's just a different experience than any other media for me. Maybe part of that is because of all the time I spent in my youth at record stores flipping through records and buying stuff I never heard sometimes just based on the cover.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I currently drive an 88 Oldsmobile Royale Delta 88, a gift from friends after my Camry got totalled.

There is a casettte player. Maybe if I had a casette, I could put it in the player and jam it. Or maybe the speakers would sound so bad I would wish it was jammed.

I haven't tried the radio, it has a dial so you can tune in the frequency.

I think cave people might have built this car.

Driving is singing and songwriting practice time.

So, I don't care.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

5cc5a19116446.png

Thanks for making me feel old with your analysis. I was a senior in high school when that car came out, and myself was driving a 71 cutlass at the time. Cave men? :wave:

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

5cc5a19116446.png

Thanks for making me feel old with your analysis. I was a senior in high school when that car came out, and myself was driving a 71 cutlass at the time. Cave men? :wave:

Y'all just a kid then.

I graduated high school one year early, 1972. Gonna get old, then die. Meanwhile, I rock out when I can - like last night, tonight and tomorrow night.

Life is good, enjoy!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

That's something I should be doing! Are you using shared folders in Windows, or what? I have a spare computer sitting around, it would make a fine server that holds only music.

Several things: Although my primary HDTV (55" Samsung) is not a "smart TV" it does have a network (wired) connection, is connected, and the computer has been specified as a media source. Also, my Windows audio files are under the Public user, which makes them easier to share. For the other computers, I don't use them enough to permanently share, but it is easy to share at the time. Since the shop is a separate building (and for redundancy), I copy all data from the primary computer a few times a week over the network, so the media files are also on that computer.

For the Apple gear, I just saved the media files again in .mp3 format instead of .wma format; then imported them as my own files into iTunes, which also means that I can choose to have available on phone and ipads. The 1996 BMW has a Pioneer sound system that I installed in 2000 after buying the vehicle, CD player but none of the more modern goodies. For that one, I carry a binder full of CD copies (another good feature of CDs). Never have left original CDs in a vehicle, too much chance of them getting warped by heat (or even stolen), always used copies. My originals are squirreled away in a box in the shop. For the 2012 Chev Volt, it accepts a USB flash drive (but has a limitation of 999 songs due to indexing regardless of space), so I have a 4GB and couple of 2GB drives - the 4GB has all the music I usually listen to, but the rest is on the two 2GB drives.

I could also have put the media files on the businesses Seagate NAS Pro 6TB RAID server, which supports Microsoft, Apple, and Linux protocols (but I'm selling that NAS to a commercial client as a backup for their NAS), but Windows sharing works well as long as one has a good connection and doesn't pass the limit on the number of computers that can be connected (10 for desktop/notebook products, as many as licensed for server products).

Windows and Mac can both be setup to share using the SMB protocol (which Windows uses), so ANY file on my network can be accessed by either PC or Mac (Of course, there may not be a program that can use that particular file). Sharing has been setup so that all I have to do, even with a my wife's computer (which has a different login user) is to go to the network either in File Explorer or Finder, authenticate if needed, and browse the file system for the file. Setting things like that up is one specialty I offer in this small town as a computer business. Printed on my business cards: "Making Apple and Windows PLAY NICE"

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I don't put long songs on the walkman because if I got to the parking space and there was 15 minutes of a symphony left, I'd have to finish it before I get out of the car. So most of the songs are 10 minutes or less.

What I listen to on trips are music radio programs so songs are rarely longer than three minutes. I can stop any time, though often I've had a driveway moment and listened through to the end of the song. These are all shows from college or community radio stations where the host knows the music and curates it well. There's no top 40 or hiphop or EDM or operas, mostly old country music and blues, swing, big band, and trad jazz. Closest to pop I get is an African music show that's mostly contemporary artists with a sprinkling of roots artists.

And in fact, I listen to the same stuff around the house. That's why I don't have a clue as to who the famous artists that the famous engineers and producers in the trade magazines and product ads are. It's also why I don't buy many CDs and don't subscribe to streaming services - not much out there that I like, and other than donations to a couple of stations that I couldn't do without, it's all free to me.

I stream a lot using Google Play Music. I've done a lot of A/B comparisons between the streamed version and the CD version of various well-recorded songs, and the CD version always sounds much better. The streamed versions lose detail, the stereo field is oddly skewed, and that "glued" feeling of the individual parts is very weak on the streamed versions compared to the CDs.

Theoretically, streaming could be just as good I suppose - it's just a sequence of zeroes and ones - but whatever the streaming does to the music, it's just not up to CD quality per my listening tests.

nat

I stream a lot using Google Play Music. I've done a lot of A/B comparisons between the streamed version and the CD version of various well-recorded songs, and the CD version always sounds much better. The streamed versions lose detail, the stereo field is oddly skewed, and that "glued" feeling of the individual parts is very weak on the streamed versions compared to the CDs.

Theoretically, streaming could be just as good I suppose - it's just a sequence of zeroes and ones - but whatever the streaming does to the music, it's just not up to CD quality per my listening tests.

The problem is that it's a sequence of data-compressed ones and zeroes. I have an MP3 conversion program where you can hear what gets left out at different bit rates. It doesn't seem like much, but playing with effects has convinced me that we are sensitive to tiny differences. I was doing some experiments with creating a stereo bass guitar, and put some audio off to the sides. The actual level of it is next to nothing, but it does give a stereo spread even though what's in the center dwarfs the levels on the side.

With data compression, it seems you lose a lot of the initial transients. If you've heard systems with really good transient response vs. really bad transient response, then you know how important it is to a satisfying musical experience.

Do you mean it lets you know BEFORE you convert? I would think once it's gone, it's gone.

Dan

So what's the appeal to people who didn't grow up with it? Is it really the concept of actually owning something, as mentioned in the article?

The physicality of it. It's the same reason a lot of younger people find modular synths more appealing. There's a visceral, physical aspect to these things that are immensely more satisfying than using a tablet or scrolling through menus.

Do you mean it lets you know BEFORE you convert?

Yes. It doesn't delete the original, it just generates a copy with the specified amount of data compression. You can have up to 5 codecs running to compare the results with different data compression schemes and bit rates. After auditioning, you save what you want, or batch process a bunch of files. When you compare the original and data-compressed version, it switches glitchlessly between the two - there's no gap. That's quite cool.

The plug-in is called Fraunhofer Pro-Codec and it's probably overkill for 99% of the audio world...it also does conversion to AAC, iTunes++, various surround formats, metadata editing, batch processing, etc. and costs a mind-numbing $400. It also requires iLok. But it's by far best-in-class for data compression work.

The physicality of it. It's the same reason a lot of younger people find modular synths more appealing. There's a visceral, physical aspect to these things that are immensely more satisfying than using a tablet or scrolling through menus.

I loved modular synthesizers, but was soooo happy when Arturia's Moog Modular came out. For me, aside from analog sound quality (admittedly a biggie), the only reasons to be interested in a physical modular is there are no constraints about what can patch to what (although most software modulars let you pretty much do anything these days), and there's no quantization "stair-stepping" of the controls...although MIDI 2.0 should solve that over time. Control surfaces are nowhere near as good as one-parameter-one-knob, but at least you can have knobs for controls that interact, so you can go back and forth among parameters that mess with each other. I guess I get all physicality I need from playing stringed instruments and keyboards :)

Think of it this way...suppose hardware modular synthesizers had never existed, only software ones. Then someone shows up at a NAMM show with a hardware modular. I think it would be non-starter for many people..."It costs HOW much? And you can't even save presets?"

I loved modular synthesizers, but was soooo happy when Arturia's Moog Modular came out. For me, aside from analog sound quality (admittedly a biggie), the only reasons to be interested in a physical modular is there are no constraints about what can patch to what (although most software modulars let you pretty much do anything these days), and there's no quantization "stair-stepping" of the controls...although MIDI 2.0 should solve that over time. Control surfaces are nowhere near as good as one-parameter-one-knob, but at least you can have knobs for controls that interact, so you can go back and forth among parameters that mess with each other. I guess I get all physicality I need from playing stringed instruments and keyboards :)

Think of it this way...suppose hardware modular synthesizers had never existed, only software ones. Then someone shows up at a NAMM show with a hardware modular. I think it would be non-starter for many people..."It costs HOW much? And you can't even save presets?"

That would be interesting. How would people feel about that? I don't know. I would tend to think that people would still think it was pretty great.

I've thrown my theory out there several times to musicians and non-musicians who are in their 20s and 30s (I work with a lot of people in this age bracket), and they seemed to feel that I was on to something in general with regard to all of it, be it vinyl or modular synths. I think people in their 20s and 30s like twiddling with things and having that physicality that we always took for granted. I mean, many of us grew up using analog boards, and even if we were only using a 4-track, it was still very physical.

And also, I feel like much of it is a yearning to get away from menu-driven things, such as what many synths had.

People seem to use software synths because they are convenient, but play modular synths or synths with lots of knobs because they're physical and fun. But who knows for sure?

For the 2012 Chev Volt, it accepts a USB flash drive (but has a limitation of 999 songs due to indexing regardless of space), so I have a 4GB and couple of 2GB drives - the 4GB has all the music I usually listen to, but the rest is on the two 2GB drives.

My car USB drive is also limited to 999 songs...I discovered that when playing a flash drive with 2600 songs and it wouldn't go past 999. But the 999 only applies to a folder. To get around it I made 27 separate folders, one for each letter of the alphabet (plus bands with number names) and now all the songs are accessible. It's also way easier to find a particular artist as you only have to go to the sub folder.

I think people would say 'that hardware emulation thing sounds like sh*t - not even close to the 'real" thing'.

:Python:

That would be interesting. How would people feel about that? I don't know. I would tend to think that people would still think it was pretty great.

Like you said, "who knows?" But I use the same analogy with vinyl. Suppose only CDs existed, and someone went to CES with vinyl. "Check this out!! It drags a rock through yards of plastic, deteriorates every time you play it, and has all kinds of surface noise! Even better, the longer the music goes, the more distorted it gets - and there's a 20 dB treble boost and bass cut going in, with a 20 dB treble cut and bass boost on playback that uses analog filters so no two preamps are exactly alike! And saving the best until last...the turntable you need to play the vinyl adds a low-frequency rumble that gives the sound character! Who's with me on this technological breakthrough?"

People theorize it's the artwork that sucks people in with vinyl, and I believe that. The virtual world has removed a lot of physical art in our day-to-day lives, so perhaps people are looking to get some of that back. And let's face it - modular synths look really cool. That's hard to resist.

And I've heard people who purchase vinyl say that it's also very purposeful. They will mention the artwork, of course, and the liner notes and the experience. But they also mention how purposeful it is, where you put on something specific for 20-25 minutes, then put on something else (or flip the record over). And they seem to like the deliberate nature of that and the whole experience. And many will acknowledge that the sound quality is not as good, but they like the whole experience and the seemingly more intimate nature of the whole process.

Now, I have to confess here that I am don't purchase vinyl any more, and haven't done so in probably abouty 4-5 years. I tend to like either CDs or playing things from USB or streaming because I'm always moving or doing something or on the go. But I really feel that what people are saying is quite real with them.