Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking about buying a powered speaker.

The time has come and of course I am on a budget.

Someone recommended this Alto TS308 to me:

This is your answer...get 2 and don't look back. I usually use just one and its great!

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been through just about every "keyboard amp" out there--Peavey, Yorkville, Crate, you name it. [....]

A friend of mine talked me into trying the Alto Professional line of powered speakers. Although skeptical based on the retail price alone (around $200 vs. over $600 for the Yamaha), I was pleasantly surprised (actually shocked) how well my keyboard sounds projected out of a single TS210 speaker!

I just got a gig teaching at an after-school program for kids near me and was asked to recommend gear to set up a music performance space. This organization is funded entirely by donations so naturally I'm looking at the less expensive end of things. For the piano students it looks like the Casio PX-160 will work well. I'd like to have a nice set of PPAs for that, also thinking they could do double duty as a PA for band performances. Your post about the Altos got me interested in them but I have to tell you that 20% of the Amazon reviews are one star and fairly brutal. These speakers will get a lot of use and I really wish they had a better rep for reliability, as most folk like their sound â when they're working!

This is what I was reading: https://www.amazon.com/Alto-Professional-TS210-Loudspeaker-Integrated/product-reviews/B018W4719I/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_prev_1?filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=1

Hmm.

I have 8" solar powered monitors.

Yes, I need to keep the blinds open, for the sun streaming thru my window

No silly AC power cables.

BluTooth would be nice for audio but my Kronos is not BluTooth complaint

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I've been through just about every "keyboard amp" out there--Peavey, Yorkville, Crate, you name it. [....]

A friend of mine talked me into trying the Alto Professional line of powered speakers. Although skeptical based on the retail price alone (around $200 vs. over $600 for the Yamaha), I was pleasantly surprised (actually shocked) how well my keyboard sounds projected out of a single TS210 speaker!

I just got a gig teaching at an after-school program for kids near me and was asked to recommend gear to set up a music performance space. This organization is funded entirely by donations so naturally I'm looking at the less expensive end of things. For the piano students it looks like the Casio PX-160 will work well. I'd like to have a nice set of PPAs for that, also thinking they could do double duty as a PA for band performances. Your post about the Altos got me interested in them but I have to tell you that 20% of the Amazon reviews are one star and fairly brutal. These speakers will get a lot of use and I really wish they had a better rep for reliability, as most folk like their sound â when they're working!

This is what I was reading: https://www.amazon.com/Alto-Professional-TS210-Loudspeaker-Integrated/product-reviews/B018W4719I/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_prev_1?filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=1

Reviews by others are like anything else in this business: subjective (at best). Besides, your link provides feedback for the previous model which is no longer in production. Try searching reviews for the TS310. That same site in your link provides refreshed reviews for the new model, with almost 90% providing a 4 out of 5 or 5/5 as a score. I can only express my personal experiences coupled with the unique perspective of having owned and played through literally dozens of various self contained amps and speakers over the past 30+ years (I originally began performing professionally using a Hammond Organ and one--then two--Leslie speakers, and also a Fender Bassman "top and bottom" to amplify a Wurlitzer electric piano, later a Farfisa compact organ). I forgot in my original post citing experiences with various speakers that I had owned and used the self contained boxes from EV, JBL, TOA, Fender as well as those previously mentioned (and I am sure I am leaving some out) over the years. The ONLY issue I've had with Alto is that their parts are proprietary and if something does go wrong (I've only had one issue--a blown tweeter in one of my current TS310 speakers--honestly due to me, not the manufacturer), and Alto's customer service dept literally mailed me a replacement (easy detach and screw in the new) with no questions asked. However if there's a bigger issue like the amp or even the driver, you're forced to ship the entire speaker to Alto for repair (owners often opt to pay for a local service repair person rather than pay the shipping to send the speaker back to the manufacturer). I think I am on my 6th or 7th Altos, and other than the blown tweeter I've NEVER had an issue. They've performed impeccably and IMO I would stand them up against the best from QSC and Yamaha.

Kurzweil PC4-7

Kurzweil Artis 7

Alto TS312 Powered Speakers (2)

Samson 6 channel mixer

Yes the newer TS3xx series do have good reviews. I'm thinking the TS308s might be good for what I need to do.

Re the Amazon reviews: I can usually read between the lines and tell when a negative review is out of ignorance, like the 1-star review complaining that "there are no adjustments for the treble or bass. There was also no port for plugging in a USB"; those I ignore. It was really the ones talking about drivers blowing up and amps failing that caught my eye. Looks like they might have addressed those concerns with the 3 series. I might be finding out for myself soon!

I think I am on my 6th or 7th Altos, and other than the blown tweeter I've NEVER had an issue. They've performed impeccably and IMO I would stand them up against the best from QSC and Yamaha.

I really appreciate the recommendations and am seriously considering the alto TS308 or 310.

I'm just curious though, is there a reason you've needed to buy so many? I'm hoping to just get the one but i'm curious why you needed to get 6-7 of them. Thanks again for your help.

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

Positive online reviews on manufacturer or retail sites are a waste of time. Negative reviews, however, are guaranteed not to be ghosted by the company. I use the Sort By box to flip the reviews upside-down, such that the worst ratings are on top, and start looking for patterns. In this case, blown drivers, blown amps, jacks or knobs that get loose after three gigs, that sort of thing.

If there are few negative reviews (after the item has been out for at least six months) and if the problems seem to be scattershot (one about the carpet coating, one about the logo coming off, one about a blown driver) instead of focusing on one or two failures repeating over and over, then you've got a contender. If the negative reviews keep coming back to the same things over and over...run.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I think I am on my 6th or 7th Altos, and other than the blown tweeter I've NEVER had an issue. They've performed impeccably and IMO I would stand them up against the best from QSC and Yamaha.

I really appreciate the recommendations and am seriously considering the alto TS308 or 310.

I'm just curious though, is there a reason you've needed to buy so many? I'm hoping to just get the one but i'm curious why you needed to get 6-7 of them. Thanks again for your help.

The "6 or 7" purchases of Alto speakers have occurred over time--probably the last 3 or 4 years. I started with a TS210, then bought another (I was so impressed with the one that I thought two would be double-pleasure!). Sold those and bought a single 212, thinking it would provide more bass (I play LH bass too in my band). In actuality it was a trade off, of more "mud" in the 12" for just a wee bit more bass than the 10s. So I sold the 12 and bought the 10 again (I had sold the two 10's to make way for the 12) and that lasted a couple of years until these new 3 series came out, I think about a year ago, at which time I bought a 312 for my keys and two 310's as the PA speakers. The new 312's seem more punchy and clear than the old 212 series, and I do like the increased bass, which even makes the organ sounds I perform with even thicker and punchier. The 310's are ideal for PA as well. By the way, in between those purchases is when I strayed, and bought the Yamaha DXR and then the QSC K10.2, only to resell both and come back to Alto.

Kurzweil PC4-7

Kurzweil Artis 7

Samson 6 channel mixer

The "6 or 7" purchases of Alto speakers have occurred over time--probably the last 3 or 4 years. I started with a TS210, then bought another (I was so impressed with the one that I thought two would be double-pleasure!). Sold those and bought a single 212, thinking it would provide more bass (I play LH bass too in my band). In actuality it was a trade off, of more "mud" in the 12" for just a wee bit more bass than the 10s. So I sold the 12 and bought the 10 again (I had sold the two 10's to make way for the 12) and that lasted a couple of years until these new 3 series came out, I think about a year ago, at which time I bought a 312 for my keys and two 310's as the PA speakers. The new 312's seem more punchy and clear than the old 212 series, and I do like the increased bass, which even makes the organ sounds I perform with even thicker and punchier. The 310's are ideal for PA as well. By the way, in between those purchases is when I strayed, and bought the Yamaha DXR and then the QSC K10.2, only to resell both and come back to Alto.

Ah, okay thank you for clarifying. This makes more sense now. It sounds like the 3 series might be the way to go. I'm thinking of trying the 308.

rockinroller,

Thanks for the comparison reviews!!! Very helpful. You didn't really say though that the sound of the k10.2 was not as good, you seemed to be talking about how good it was relative to the price and weight of the Altos. Did the k10.2 have an edge on sound quality and bass extension for you, or just minimally enough to not be worth the extra weight and cost? I've got a k10 and have been pleasantly surprised at how much bass it can put out even without it being switched to 'deep bass'.

Sounds like all of this is in the context of playing in rock and roll bands. Do you ever do solo piano, even if just at home? It seems that many many speakers pass muster in a rock and roll setting, including and maybe esp bass amps for EPs, but piano is the one sound that many speakers don't do well on. I believe that is because you need a relatively flat frequency curve and a more refined, 'hi-fi' sounding speaker (if others have a better explanation of what makes for a good piano-capable speaker, please correct me). From your descriptions I would be inclined to give the Alto 3xx a try, esp for weight and price! But good piano reproduction is important to me as well.

Your writing is clear and helpful, however I would respectfully ask for the use of paragraphs! My eyes get confused with such long blocks of text.

Randy

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

After many powered speakers (JBLEon, QSC K12,Yamaha DXR10) and keyboard amps Motion Sound -500, KBR 3D, Space Station, etc) a very humble powered speaker caught my earâPRESONUS AIR 10. I bought a pair a while ago for a very discounted price. They are quite light, 27 pounds per, and they sound genuinely warm and musical. I found other powered speakers harsh in their quest to be loud. These are not the loudest speakers you will find. But they are plenty loud trust me.

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

have not been happy with the k8.2's , especially as floor monitors , they do need to be elevated as most forumites here have suggested . i demoed a modx through an alto TS312 at a local

guitar center ( on the floor ) , was impressed , so i bought one . turns out to be the best sounding keyboard amp i've ever owned and that's with no additional EQ , the pianos are very good , not great ,

but not harsh at all , the EP's are great though ,very warm . and it's certainly loud enough for anything i would need it for .and i can leave it right on the floor . bang for the buck ? absolutely

bill,

I would argue that most 8" speakers don't make great floor monitors, and you are talking about a 12" speaker on the floor compared to an 8". So, when both the k8.2 and the 312 are mounted on stands, the overall sound quality is not better on the k8.2? It might be hard to judge 'cause you're going to get a bigger, fuller, deeper sound with a 12" speaker. Good to hear that the 312s do well with AP. At $269, it sounds like the 312s are very likeable!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

• 1 month later...

So I bought a Alto TS308 powered speaker for rehearsals with my band. Found a good deal for one on Amazon and had a few Gift Cards from the holidays so ended up only paying a grand total of $50 for it. score!

I'd say it's great! everything sounds very good with the keyboards I'm using, and the volume is plenty loud. I used it at practice today as a floor monitor and it seems to cut through everything just fine with head room to spare. My band-mates also gave it the thumbs up so I think I'm good to go!

One odd thing I noticed though. when I plug the Alto into my Roland VR 730, it makes a very quiet but noticeable white noise type of sound anytime a key is engaged - but only with the organ setting (not pianos or synths). I've never heard or noticed this on any other speaker(s) I've used with that board. I wonder if it's the board, the speaker or some combination of the two.

Anyway thanks again for all the recommendations and I would say to anyone out there on a budget to consider the Alto TS series.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed reply. I am not often on this site, nor do I receive any email notification of a response to my posts.

My review of the QSC k10.2 was that it didn't seem to have the 'clarity' I got from the inexpensive Altos. I had the same issue with the Yamaha DXR10 as well. Unfortunately a lot of my

opinion may be driven by economics--at least to some extent. IMO I didn't think either the Yamaha or QSC warranted paying over twice as much for, compared to the Alto, and I believe

the only advantage may be quality/warranty period, etc. Even at that, I have never had an issue with any of my Alto speakers other than a blown tweeter, which is an easy DIY replacement.

There: I got ya' three paragraphs!

Kurzweil PC4-7

Kurzweil Artis 7

Samson 6 channel mixer

{One odd thing I noticed though. when I plug the Alto into my Roland VR 730, it makes a very quiet but noticeable white noise type of sound anytime a key is engaged - but only with the organ setting (not pianos or synths). I've never heard or noticed this on any other speaker(s) I've used with that board. I wonder if it's the board, the speaker or some combination of the two.}

I am wondering if your organ setting has some sort of distortion or crossover programmed into it, and the Alto is reproducing the sound so accurately (unlike your previous outputs) that you are

now hearing it?

Kurzweil PC4-7

Kurzweil Artis 7

Samson 6 channel mixer

{One odd thing I noticed though. when I plug the Alto into my Roland VR 730, it makes a very quiet but noticeable white noise type of sound anytime a key is engaged - but only with the organ setting (not pianos or synths). I've never heard or noticed this on any other speaker(s) I've used with that board. I wonder if it's the board, the speaker or some combination of the two.}

I am wondering if your organ setting has some sort of distortion or crossover programmed into it, and the Alto is reproducing the sound so accurately (unlike your previous outputs) that you are

now hearing it?

It's definitely a mystery. Not sure if it's worth solving or not but I'll keep that in mind. I don't think this kind of thing would be noticeable in a live setting which is the only time I would use the Alto speaker. It's barely noticeable as it is but I do notice it. Thanks for your review!

[One odd thing I noticed though. when I plug the Alto into my Roland VR 730, it makes a very quiet but noticeable white noise type of sound anytime a key is engaged - but only with the organ setting (not pianos or synths). I've never heard or noticed this on any other speaker(s) I've used with that board. I wonder if it's the board, the speaker or some combination of the two.]

This sounds vaguely reminiscent of what my Kurzweil PC3 and SP6 do on all patches (not limited to organ or other category) when I connect them with unbalanced TS cables- if your VR 730 has balanced outs try balanced TRS cables and see if it clears up.