Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best albums from the last decade, according to critics

https://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/Best-albums-from-the-last-decade-according-to-14876804.php#photo-18696310

More proof I am out of touch with commercial music or whatever the critics criteria is.

I don't own any of the albums.

I don't recall hearing of any songs from the albums, unless it was a coincidence.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Beyoncé

Kanye West

Leonard Cohen

Lorde

A Tribe Called Quest

Sleater-Kinney

Fiona Apple

Tom Waits

Radiohead

I know these names. I don't know any of their recent music.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Haven't heard of 2/3's of the artists before. Doesn't interest me in the least..... I'm stuck in the 70's.......

you are not the only one.

I am 70s Songwriter on SoundCloud [sC]. With a handle like that, I figured whatever I recorded on SC would doom me to the Nobody Cares

type anonymity.

Surprised to find young Hip Hoppers in Europe like the 70's vibe. I sometimes think they haven't heard 70's type music and it

sounds different to them.

[70's Songwriter]

Yeah, can't say I've had that much exposure to new music in the past decade. Don't like most rap, and a lot of recent pop sounds super commercialized and plastic. I'm also really dislike 'free form jazz' thats all over the place, really gets on my nerves!

I'm stuck in the 60's and 70's as well, but having grown up singing songs from the 20s to the 60's with my family, I've got a big appreciation for many many of those songs.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Yeah, can't say I've had that much exposure to new music in the past decade. Don't like most rap, and a lot of recent pop sounds super commercialized and plastic. I'm also really dislike 'free form jazz' thats all over the place, really gets on my nerves!

I'm stuck in the 60's and 70's as well, but having grown up singing songs from the 20s to the 60's with my family, I've got a big appreciation for many many of those songs.

I am all over most 60's music.

When there was The Beatles 50th Anniversary last year, I was hoping for a major resurgence.

After a few months back then, I don't recall much beyond us nostalgia types enjoying every minute of every song.

[70's Songwriter]

I've listened to 9 of the 50..a few of them repeatedly. Is that a passing grade for an old fart (58)?

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I have heard a few of them. The only one I heard that I agree with was Leonard Cohen's last album. The songs are haunting and his voice sounds tortured . But then I rarely agree with music critics.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I think keeping a pulse to new music sounds is a healthy part of growing and evolving.

Having a repertoire of recognizable music from within the last decade will serve you well. I made a New Year's resolution to listen to new music at least once a week.

I knew I didn't care much for heavy rap and most country on the current charts, but what I didn't know is that I really love the "Chill" station on XM and I now listen to deep house music all the time in the car. Who knew I would dig it so much?

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I've listened to 9 of the 50..a few of them repeatedly. Is that a passing grade for an old fart (58)?

showoff ! ;)

[j/k]

[70's Songwriter]

showoff ! ;)

[j/k]

Mostly the Fiona Apple, St. Vincent and Radiohead. Good stuff.

Unfortunately I'll have to time to listen to the rest of them this winter; I'm having carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve surgery on both sides in the next 3 weeks. :(

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I like this list a lot, will be checking out a few I hadn't heard of. I knew a dozen or so, love a couple (Courtney Barnett is brilliant and Nick Cave is an icon - they also both happen to be Australian ;) ) Definitely some great music in there. I'm surprised bands like The Decemberists and The Hold Steady weren't in there but that's the challenge with lists like that.

showoff ! ;)

[j/k]

Unfortunately I'll have to time to listen to the rest of them this winter; I'm having carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve surgery on both sides in the next 3 weeks. :(

ouch. Hope its successful. Wise to challenge the brain.

For me, I would skip Mr Kanye West.

[70's Songwriter]

I was shocked I'm probably one of the oldest cats here (70 YO) and I knew of a dozen of the artists and a fan of some, but more their earlier work than recent. Pop radio is there still such a thing??? Most the radios stations out here I have no use for so called classic rock and country, the only two I have punch into my car are a mainly Latino HipHop/Rap station and a classic R&B station that plays stuff from 70's to 90's. Closest to Pop anything I hear is the music at the gym and it's bad, that's why I finally got some earphones to hear what I want.

The artists in that list I knew of were:

Roots, really like their early stuff

Tom Waits, long time fan

Tribe Called Quest, again like the early stuff

Solange

Radiohead, some stuff

D'Angelo, his early albums are classic big fan.

Fiona Apple

Chance the Rapper

Janelle Monae, like some of her stuff

Kendrick Lamar, To Pimp a Butterfly is great and using musicians like Robert Glasper and other Jazzy cats really nice influence on modern HipHop.

Lennard Cohen

Beyonce

Kanye

I'd say there's a few names like Esperanza Spalding that they missed.

Just a reminder that this list is based on data, not opinion. The data used is critical opinion, but these rankings are based on how well the records were reviewed overall.

yep. AFAIC see the source is metecritic:

https://www.metacritic.com/g00/feature/best-albums-of-the-decade-2010s?i10c.ua=4&i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuc2ZnYXRlLmNvbS9lbnRlcnRha%575tZW50L2FydGljbGUvQmVzdC1hbGJ1bXMtZnJvbS%310aGUtbGFzdC1kZWNhZGUtYWNjb3JkaW5nLXRvLTE%30ODc2ODA0LnBocA%3d%3d&i10c.dv=19

this ' best thing' seems to be going on lately.

Several posters on a music site, are going on and on about their Spotify lists and other popularity lists

[70's Songwriter]

I was shocked I'm probably one of the oldest cats here (70 YO) and I knew of a dozen of the artists and a fan of some, but more their earlier work than recent. .

67 here.

You could be an anomaly. Or really cool and contemporary. Or both ;)

[70's Songwriter]

....this list is certainly enough to tear up a few lawns.

"never heard.......nevermind........get off my lawn!"

I expect creativity from musicians , even with needling ;)

[70's Songwriter]

There is almost no "radio pop" on this list. There is, however, a wide variety of unbelievable music from a diverse cast of artists. I highly recommend digging into at least a few of these. I haven't listened to all of them, but this list is certainly enough to tear up a few lawns.

I love finding new and interesting music to listen to. Just getting started on this list. Passed by a few but really digging Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit. Refreshing lyrics and a very organic sound. I'll keep listening to new music. Sifting through the plastic is worthwhile if there are a few diamonds in there.

Voyager, A Tribute to the Music of Journey - http:// www.facebook.com/voyageraz

Keys: Korg KronosX 88, M Audio Code 61, Novation Launchkey, Mainstage, Keyscape, Omnisphere

I"m just surprised that the words 'Album' and 'Last decade' are juxtaposed at all.

I would have thought that in this world of streaming, the album as we know it is dead.

Albums on CD format is on a big decline .

Streaming Albums are cheap; 8.99 , $9.99. Give or take some pennies.

Listeners into the artist will mostly go for albums. These listeners like to support the artist.

In my humble music world, a 9 song PlayList[to stream] gets surprising attention. Statistically equal to a single.

Businesses, coffee shops also like streaming albums, Playlists.

[70's Songwriter]

Something about lists created through algorhythms that sift through metadata is inherently uninteresting to me. But also much worse than uninteresting. I would go so far as to say it may be subversive towards humanity, gravitating as it does towards a tastes dictated by common denominator. That's true even though the data analyzed here are critic's opinions rather than just quantity of sales.

But this is not to invalidate the opinions of any individual critic, especially one who explains the basis of their opinions rather than just producing a list.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

When it comes to current music I deal with hit singles and dance tracks, so I'm really out of my element here. Nevertheless I was struck with how many times Kendrick Lamar got on the list - apparently a critics' darling. According to this list, the #1 artist of the decade is something called Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. I have no clue... you guys will have to educate me on this.

I was happy to see Chance the Rapper make the list - one of the more creative voices in current hip-hop.

Nice to see at least one Weyes Blood album make the list. I get a late 60s/early 70s vibe out of her music. It's not disco, and it's not dance-oriented.

She has quite a presence in live concert too. I can't explain how - she doesn't get into theatrics, wild looks, or anything. Definitely has something to do with her poise and vocal delivery.

Angel Olson gives off a similar vibe as Weyes Blood - latest album kind of has a Phil Spector feel.

And yeah, nice representation from Aussies Nick Cave and Courtney Barnett.

....this list is certainly enough to tear up a few lawns.

"never heard.......nevermind........get off my lawn!"

I expect creativity from musicians , even with needling ;)

It may be that this is what you get for having expectations? You don't need to think "musicians." Just think without demanding something meet your requirements........like you once did.......approach life with an open mind like when you were young? It was natural and lead you to great discoveries with emotional impact. You are being old, not necessarily wise, when you look at something and attempt to put it down implying it does not meet your expectations. Your barometer is tied to a locked context.

:)

It may be that this is what you get for having expectations? You don't need to think "musicians." Just think without demanding something meet your requirements........like you once did.......approach life with an open mind like when you were young? It was natural and lead you to great discoveries with emotional impact. You are being old, not necessarily wise, when you look at something and attempt to put it down implying it does not meet your expectations.
I can have no argument. -- grass hopper

showoff ! ;)

[j/k]

ouch. Hope its successful. Wise to challenge the brain.

For me, I would skip Mr Kanye West.

I'm as tired as anyone at Kanye's schtick at this point, but I will say: "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" is one of the extremely few rap albums I've physically purchased, and, IMHO, is his best album. If you can get past all his antics, it really is well worth a listen. All the best on your recovery.