Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My 5 Fave Diminished Licks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have to force myself to fiddle about with these.

I am more or less musically "illiterate" in terms of reading notation or tabs. I get how tabs work and can bumble through them.

I would convert them to patterns almost instantly.

I do know augmented, diminished and octatonic (half step, whole step, half step, whole step ad infinitum) patterns all over the neck.

I need to work on my augminished and demented scales!! :- D

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I might have to force myself to fiddle about with these.

I am more or less musically "illiterate" in terms of reading notation or tabs. I get how tabs work and can bumble through them.

I would convert them to patterns almost instantly.

I do know augmented, diminished and octatonic (half step, whole step, half step, whole step ad infinitum) patterns all over the neck.

I need to work on my augminished and demented scales!! :- D

It's fun stuff for when you want to get a little "out there." I love the way Randy Rhoads used to incorporate stuff like this.

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

I toss in a bit of diminished scale madness here and there, just to see if anybody's awake!!! Cuz if they are, I want them to be sporadically bothered by it. :- D

Been a while but I learned Georgia for a radio show. Has all sorts of pretty diminished and augmented chords in it, classic Americana.

I want them to be sporadically bothered by it.

I love that!

Art is the creation and release of tension.

Diminished stuffs creates tension, so does playing across time instead of in it.

If you do it carefully in otherwise "normal" music and then drop back onto the groove as if nothing happened, you'll keep their attention.

Ideally, you want them to experience an emotional roller coaster, sadness and joy, curiosity, complacency, jarring disturbance, can't sit still etc...

That takes choosing the material well and then "decorating" it in new or different ways.

If ya just play Folsom Prison Blues like the record (and I have), they are happy but bored. Toss a weirdo-butt lick in the solo and everything changes.

Made a tab of these and figured I'd share. I'm always finding ways to jam one of these or something based off of one of these into improvs...

Nice! Well done. I'll work those up. I like how that initial line is sort of descending/ascending/descending, etc. and so on.

How are you creating the notation and tablature, what are you using? I'd love be able to do that. In the past I labored and muddled through half-fast ;) methods of displaying fingerings, using what limited means I had at my immediate disposal, such as seen here (if you temporarily Quote it on your end, you'll see the 'mechanics' of it): So I wrote a little lesson...

I toss in a bit of diminished scale madness here and there, just to see if anybody's awake!!! Cuz if they are, I want them to be sporadically bothered by it. :- D

I love that!

So do I!

Art is the creation and release of tension.

Diminished stuffs creates tension, so does playing across time instead of in it.

If you do it carefully in otherwise "normal" music and then drop back onto the groove as if nothing happened, you'll keep their attention.

Ideally, you want them to experience an emotional roller coaster, sadness and joy, curiosity, complacency, jarring disturbance, can't sit still etc...

That takes choosing the material well and then "decorating" it in new or different ways.

If ya just play Folsom Prison Blues like the record (and I have), they are happy but bored. Toss a weirdo-butt lick in the solo and everything changes.

Truth; well said. Keep things interesting instead of a monotonous stream of the mundane same-old same-old.

This is part of why some well-known 'Metal" acts bore me sick- and why I find some that are more unique and creative and edgy and adventurous to be a pleasure to listen to.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

How are you creating the notation and tablature, what are you using? I'd love be able to do that.

This was all done in Guitar Pro 7. I use it quite a bit to transcribe other songs, write my own practice stuff and even hear what something is going to sound like at a certain speed, so I don't waste time learning it if it's awful sounding.

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

How are you creating the notation and tablature, what are you using? I'd love be able to do that.

This was all done in Guitar Pro 7. I use it quite a bit to transcribe other songs, write my own practice stuff and even hear what something is going to sound like at a certain speed, so I don't waste time learning it if it's awful sounding.

Thanks! For the original post, and for your reply here.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _