Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My 5 Fave Diminished Licks #3018446 12/04/19 07:32 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 94
Music With Marky Offline OP
Senior Member
OP Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 94
Made a tab of these and figured I'd share. I'm always finding ways to jam one of these or something based off of one of these into improvs:

[Linked Image from i.redd.it]


Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music
GP Island
Re: My 5 Fave Diminished Licks [Re: Music With Marky] #3018498 12/04/19 11:17 PM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 5,269
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 5,269
Thanks for the chart. I rarely go out of the minor or major pentatonics, or the related full scale. Once in a while I dabble in the modes.


dbm
If it sounds good, it is good !!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=143231&content=music
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick
Re: My 5 Fave Diminished Licks [Re: Music With Marky] #3018500 12/04/19 11:25 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 359
KuruPrionz Offline
Senior Member
Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 359
I might have to force myself to fiddle about with these.
I am more or less musically "illiterate" in terms of reading notation or tabs. I get how tabs work and can bumble through them.
I would convert them to patterns almost instantly.

I do know augmented, diminished and octatonic (half step, whole step, half step, whole step ad infinitum) patterns all over the neck.

I need to work on my augminished and demented scales!! :- D


There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: My 5 Fave Diminished Licks [Re: KuruPrionz] #3018533 12/05/19 07:25 AM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 94
Music With Marky Offline OP
Senior Member
OP Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 94
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz
I might have to force myself to fiddle about with these.
I am more or less musically "illiterate" in terms of reading notation or tabs. I get how tabs work and can bumble through them.
I would convert them to patterns almost instantly.

I do know augmented, diminished and octatonic (half step, whole step, half step, whole step ad infinitum) patterns all over the neck.

I need to work on my augminished and demented scales!! :- D


It's fun stuff for when you want to get a little "out there." I love the way Randy Rhoads used to incorporate stuff like this.


Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music
Re: My 5 Fave Diminished Licks [Re: Music With Marky] #3018556 12/05/19 04:18 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 359
KuruPrionz Offline
Senior Member
Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 359
I toss in a bit of diminished scale madness here and there, just to see if anybody's awake!!! Cuz if they are, I want them to be sporadically bothered by it. :- D

Been a while but I learned Georgia for a radio show. Has all sorts of pretty diminished and augmented chords in it, classic Americana.


There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: My 5 Fave Diminished Licks [Re: KuruPrionz] #3018589 12/05/19 08:28 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 94
Music With Marky Offline OP
Senior Member
OP Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 94
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz
I want them to be sporadically bothered by it.


I love that!


Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music
Re: My 5 Fave Diminished Licks [Re: Music With Marky] #3018599 12/05/19 10:01 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 359
KuruPrionz Offline
Senior Member
Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 359
Originally Posted by Music With Marky
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz
I want them to be sporadically bothered by it.


I love that!


Art is the creation and release of tension.
Diminished stuffs creates tension, so does playing across time instead of in it.

If you do it carefully in otherwise "normal" music and then drop back onto the groove as if nothing happened, you'll keep their attention.
Ideally, you want them to experience an emotional roller coaster, sadness and joy, curiosity, complacency, jarring disturbance, can't sit still etc...

That takes choosing the material well and then "decorating" it in new or different ways.
If ya just play Folsom Prison Blues like the record (and I have), they are happy but bored. Toss a weirdo-butt lick in the solo and everything changes.


There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: My 5 Fave Diminished Licks [Re: Music With Marky] #3018891 12/09/19 03:26 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 25,287
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club
Offline
20k Club
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 25,287
Originally Posted by Music With Marky
My 5 Fave Diminished Licks

Made a tab of these and figured I'd share. I'm always finding ways to jam one of these or something based off of one of these into improvs...

Nice! Well done. I'll work those up. I like how that initial line is sort of descending/ascending/descending, etc. and so on.

How are you creating the notation and tablature, what are you using? I'd love be able to do that. In the past I labored and muddled through half-fast wink methods of displaying fingerings, using what limited means I had at my immediate disposal, such as seen here (if you temporarily Quote it on your end, you'll see the 'mechanics' of it): So I wrote a little lesson...

Originally Posted by KuruPrionz
I toss in a bit of diminished scale madness here and there, just to see if anybody's awake!!! Cuz if they are, I want them to be sporadically bothered by it. :- D

Originally Posted by Music With Marky
I love that!


So do I!

Originally Posted by KuruPrionz
Art is the creation and release of tension.
Diminished stuffs creates tension, so does playing across time instead of in it.

If you do it carefully in otherwise "normal" music and then drop back onto the groove as if nothing happened, you'll keep their attention.
Ideally, you want them to experience an emotional roller coaster, sadness and joy, curiosity, complacency, jarring disturbance, can't sit still etc...

That takes choosing the material well and then "decorating" it in new or different ways.
If ya just play Folsom Prison Blues like the record (and I have), they are happy but bored. Toss a weirdo-butt lick in the solo and everything changes.

Truth; well said. Keep things interesting instead of a monotonous stream of the mundane same-old same-old.

This is part of why some well-known 'Metal" acts bore me sick- and why I find some that are more unique and creative and edgy and adventurous to be a pleasure to listen to.


Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _
Re: My 5 Fave Diminished Licks [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #3018902 12/09/19 05:39 AM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 94
Music With Marky Offline OP
Senior Member
OP Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 94
Originally Posted by Caevan O'Shite
[quote=Music With Marky] My 5 Fave Diminished Licks


How are you creating the notation and tablature, what are you using? I'd love be able to do that.


This was all done in Guitar Pro 7. I use it quite a bit to transcribe other songs, write my own practice stuff and even hear what something is going to sound like at a certain speed, so I don't waste time learning it if it's awful sounding.


Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music
Re: My 5 Fave Diminished Licks [Re: Music With Marky] #3018903 12/09/19 06:33 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 25,287
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club
Offline
20k Club
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 25,287
Originally Posted by Music With Marky
Originally Posted by Caevan O'Shite
Originally Posted by Music With Marky
My 5 Fave Diminished Licks



How are you creating the notation and tablature, what are you using? I'd love be able to do that.


This was all done in Guitar Pro 7. I use it quite a bit to transcribe other songs, write my own practice stuff and even hear what something is going to sound like at a certain speed, so I don't waste time learning it if it's awful sounding.

Thanks! For the original post, and for your reply here.


Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3