Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland VR 730 vs VR09 - worth upgrading?

Anyone have experience with both?

I've had a VR09 virtually since it came out.

Overall, I have been very happy with it - except for the keyboard feel (which I've heard shares the same crappy/springy keybed as the FA6).

Until recently I've mostly been a guitar player, and thus relatively "tactile focused".

It surprises me still how much the keyboard feel annoys me on the VR09. In contrast, my Roland RD64 (and more recently, Casio PX-S3000) delight me to no end with how they "feel" like an actual piano. May not actually improve my playing that much, but I certainly think I am playing better as I enjoy it much more. Thus my question - is the better keyboard in the VR730 worth dropping another grand?

Again, I am very familiar with the positives of the VR09 (and the limitations!), just wondering if the (presumed) better keyboard on the VR730 is really worth splurging. I know there are other organ options, but I could rationalize the purchase due to the fact that I would then have identical boards (sound-wise) and thus could use the VR09 as a backup and/or leave at the practice place.

As ever, thanks in advanced for the collective KC knowledge!

Roy

PS - part of the reason i am reaching out to everyone is that there seem to be price drops on the VR730 of ~ $400 on several sites, hence the need to make a decision soon.

The other reason is that I have no access to a VR730, have yet to find a local store that has one in stock, so this would be a "blind purchase", which always makes me nervous.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never played the 730, stores generally don't stock it, which is maybe why it hasn't sold much, which is maybe why they have to drop the price. If it was my performance keyboard, yes, I'd upgrade, because my organ chops improve significantly going from synth to waterfall action, any waterfall action.

My VR09 is just my rehearsal board. It's perfect for that in part because it weighs only 12 lbs. VR09 at 22lbs and almost as long as an 88 wouldn't be as good.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

People online have said that the VR730 is a Fatar TP80, sprung on the heavy side, so if you can't find one to try locally, if you can find a semi-weighted Nord Electro 6 or Nord Stage 3, you'd probably have a good idea of what the VR730 would feel like.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

PS - part of the reason i am reaching out to everyone is that there seem to be price drops on the VR730 of ~ $400 on several sites, hence the need to make a decision soon.

The other reason is that I have no access to a VR730, have yet to find a local store that has one in stock, so this would be a "blind purchase", which always makes me nervous.

There are dealers that will allow you to return a board if you don"t like it and only charge you shipping (some will only charge for return shipping, others will charge for both ways). No restocking fee. Worst case is that you don"t like it and you"re out somewhere around $25-$50 max. Just call and find out the policy and cost in-advance. Feel free to PM me if you"d like introductions to some solid reps I"ve worked with.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

I have considered grabbing one but still keep preferring the overall functionality of an FA-07 over a VR-730.

I like the TP-8O action and have used it on Nords and my Viscount Legend. I just went with the features of the FA-07 and can use a dedicated sub output for organ to a mini vent which would suit me fine among my options for organs.

That being said, if I were looking at a new VR-730 for organ and piano/EP/clav I would instead stretch my budget by a hair and get a used Nord Electro 5D 73 as I prefer its sounds, build materials and it holds its resale value better in good condition.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

As an owner of a VR 730 I would say that the action is closer to an organ as opposed to a synth or weighted piano. Obviously it has the waterfall style keys so that's what it is going for. That's the only reason I would upgrade to it. It's literally the same board in every other way. That being said it's very playable once you get used to it even though a lot of people complain about keybed action. Personally it's not a huge issue for me for the style of music I perform.

As far as the price drop goes, I noticed that happening with other keyboards over the weekend, not just the VR. They dropped 500 off the Kronos over at Sweetwater and 400 off the Krome EX. I think it's just a Black Friday thing and prices will go back up.

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

I owned a VR09 for quite some time and I liked it. In comparison the VR730 feels like a completely different instrument even though it's engine is 95 percent identical. It's all about haptic perception... I tried a VR730 in a store nearby and I liked the keybed a lot. Playing AP and EP sounds on the VR730 feels so much better than with the VR09.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Playing AP and EP sounds on the VR730 feels so much better than with the VR09.

I think this may be one of the best points. Yes, the VR is an organ-centric board, and you'll see a lot of mention of the VR-730's waterfall (i.e. better for organ) keyboard, but it is probably piano where moving away from the VR-09's keys will make the bigger difference. Even though it's still a non-hammer compromise board for piano, the VR-09's short pivot keys are so limiting for piano that I think that's likely to be the more immediately noticeable difference than in organ playing.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Interesting - the Black Friday/Cyber Monday price reductions to $1,199 ended yesterday. Instead of going back up in price, they have gone down in price further and are on clearance for $1,099 from major retailers until December 31st. With open box deals now under $1,000 I would say a VR-730 is a buy at that price. Good usable instrument with a playable action for that price. It's not a Nord Stage 3 but at less than 1/3 of the price of a Stage 3 Compact 73 it should serve the purpose well for you. I myself am tempted with yet another price reduction to just grab one.

I don't have a crystal ball on what is next from Roland in this category. I don't know if this type of clearance price means the end of life for the VR-730 or just moving extra inventory. The VR-730 and VR-09B were just released about 2 years ago, but the core VR-09 engine is now 6 years old. So something new in this category may be on the way. Then again Roland has been announcing a lot of flagship grade products recently such as the new Fantoms and Jupiter X, and still seem to be selling the more budget friendly FA and VR products as far as I know.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Even though it's still a non-hammer compromise board for piano, the VR-09's short pivot keys are so limiting for piano that I think that's likely to be the more immediately noticeable difference than in organ playing.

I also found that the APs and EPs played with the VR730 keys sounded better than in the VR09 even though they are technically identical.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Even though it's still a non-hammer compromise board for piano, the VR-09's short pivot keys are so limiting for piano that I think that's likely to be the more immediately noticeable difference than in organ playing.

I also found that the APs and EPs played with the VR730 keys sounded better than in the VR09 even though they are technically identical.

I concur with this as well. My church gig supplies a VR-09, and I wouldn't want to rely on it for piano/ep/clav, etc. Thankfully there is a PX-S3000 for piano.

I owned a VR-730, and found it's overall playability a great improvement over the VR-09. Unfortunately I couldn't keep it, due to an unrelated issue. roygBiv, I think you'd be happy with the VR-730.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Interesting - the Black Friday/Cyber Monday price reductions to $1,199 ended yesterday. Instead of going back up in price, they have gone down in price further and are on clearance for $1,099 from major retailers until December 31st.

Could be a harbinger of a NAMM announcement.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

• 2 years later...