Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

These jams shouldn't be looked upon about who's better than who, really - it's all about making music- would be boring to have 2 Morse's , 2 Haynes, 2 Schofields.

-----------------------

FWIW, Haynes & Sco have some history.

Here's a clip from a few yrs back.

I'll leave the analysis to ya'll.

[video:youtube]

These jams shouldn't be looked upon about who's better than who, really - it's all about making music- would be boring to have 2 Morse's , 2 Haynes, 2 Schofields.

-----------------------

S0O0O0O0O0O0 Epicly badass. :cool::love: LOVE :love: the keyboards!

GREAT playing by ALL.

I also much prefer John Scofield's tone here, to the times when he's used way too much plastic-y chorus (blechk); I especially like his use of an octave-down effect here- a Boss OC-3 Super Octaver, perhaps? (I have, love, and HIGHLY recommend a Foxrox Octron.)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Just swapped out Tesla"s latest, ZZ Top"s XXX and an old Charlie Hunter Trio CD for the latest from a The Raconteurs, The Black Keys, and Esperanza Spalding, respectively.

Also, took mom to see Rival Sons and STP Thursday night. Because there was an un-announced third band opening- Warbly Jets- Mom ran out of endurance before STP took the stage. However, Warbly Jets were pretty good, and Rival Sons utterly KILLED it, with a set list spanning all but their first album, and nearly ALL of Mom"s faves.

Here"s one of the tunes WJ played during their set:

There was also this cool Thai reggae tune played during the intermission between WJ & RS, by a band called Job2Do.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• 4 weeks later...

[font:Century Gothic]What a performance...I've never seen a singer's sorrow and rage fighting it out for control over her voice - hell, over her whole body - like this. Even before she starts singing, Mon looks like she's been awake and crying for 2 days straight. Given current events in her homeland of Chile, she just might've been.[/font]

I just had a real blast from the past sweep over me & it was thrilling. A friend sent me a YouTube link to some 70's live performances of Tubular Bells by Michael Oldfield. That's an album I haven't heard in maybe 40 years, but man, it sounded great. That was one very talented 19 year old kid who came up with such symphonic richness, & played all the parts himself, minus a few vocals. I just might have to buy the CD.
Scott Fraser

Rarely do I recall TBells but it was/is a truly new thing at the time (at least for pop-rock !

(& besides the musical aspects, it was exceptionally well-marketed-----& if anyone thninks that's negative or not important :rolleyes: )

d=halfnote

Here's a bit of music from one of the most a-traditional Chinese composer's of modern times, Chou Wen-chung.

I'm just learning abt him but this piece, with it's interior thematic coherence & possibilities as a rock stringed instrument performance is racing up the Top 20.

Think of the space enveloped by Beefheart, Zep & Fairport Convention... :D

d=halfnote

I enjoyed that Chou Wen-Chung piece. Great stereo separation. The percussion bits seemed to be in their own grasp of time, which made them stick out, but not necessarily in a bad way; you just appreciate and notice them when they appear.

As for me, I've mostly been listening to CD's that I picked up at Progstock. Mostly bands that played there, but a few that didn't but had merch there:

Pattern-Seeking Animals (a side project for members of Spock's Beard): No One Ever Died And Made Me King. Love the time signature in the verses on this one.

Rocket Scientists - announcing this was their last live performance.

The Cyberium: The Fall (great tune; but I'm not endorsing abduction & serial killing. But hey, it was just Halloween)

Speaking of creepy, District 97's latest album has this spooky track, Ghost Girl:

Discipline : Life Imitates Art - creepy yet catchy (I got to talk with their singer & guitarist, AND Gentle Giant guitarist Gary Green)

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Glad ya liked "that Chou Wen-Chung piece"., Danz.

I'm just ;earning abt him following his NYT obit.

Besides being an epitome of progressive Chinese music he was :freak: an assistant to 20th C experimentalist composer Edgard Varèse, whose legacy he tended.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's quite a list you posted.

I'm taking them 1 at a time.

"No 1 Ever Died &...." has a great 1960s70s-style riff & gtr tone but I really liked that piping pop keyboard sound !

Plus they picked a great name whuich works with or without the letter "k" !

I'll work through the rest

but in the meantime here's a cat who personified what the physical & mental melding of Eric Clapton & J J Cale...

... & to whom I'm listening to even as I type.

d=halfnote

• 1 month later...

Nice.

-----------------------

Currently going through my head:

Two weeks ago I got to see The Pineapple Thief, with Randy McStine opening. So obviously, a little bit of them!

Randy McStine's looping of creepy effects

The Pineapple Thief - Threatening War

Plus some Steve Hackett from his latest album

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

71pmGq58SUL._SX425_.jpg

Tracklist

1Kenny Wayne Shepherd-Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer

2Eric Johnson (2)-The First Nowell

3Jeff Beck-Amazing Grace

4Brian Setzer Orchestra-Jingle Bells

5Joe Satriani-Silent Night/Holy Night Jam

6Steve Morse-Joy to The World

7Steve Vai-Christmas Time Is Here

8Joe Perry-Blue Christmas

9Alex Lifeson-The Little Drummer Boy

10Richie Sambora-Cantique De Noel (O' Holy Night)

11Hotei*-Happy Xmas (War Is Over)