Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Osmose keyboard

Also, looks like they're right on the money with MPE's potential for modeled acoustic percussion, something I'm finding a little underutilized by Roli, whose offerings tend to be much more contemporary-electronic in that realm.

TBH, I've never played ANY non-acoustic instrument that felt better for hand percussion than a Seaboard. I've done a lot of djembe, conga, and frame drum playing on the Roli, and it just feels right. This is one thing I feel that the rubber surface does better than a traditional keyboard. I've also played on vibes with mallets as sort of a "poor man's MalletKat" with some decent results. Not gonna lie, the Osmose looks fantastic, but there's some amazing things about the Seaboard once you get used to it. I just wish Roli would get their head away from cheesy synth-pop and do more robust modeling. Equator is a surprisingly good synth, but as someone here said, it's limited sample set and lack of scripting make it more suited for layering many instruments than creating single ones. As I've pointed out, Equator is like if you married Massive with a Rompler from 1996, neither a bad thing, but limiting. Maybe one of these days, Audio Modeling will release a full developer environment for SWAM, but I'm not holding my breath.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

A discussion at Sonic State ... they get into the glorious details, the way that Nick Batt always does ... :)

The discussion of it's role as a Midi controller with (for example) a poly aftertouch receiving synth such as the REV2 was very interesting to me.

[video:youtube]

So what does MPE and MPE+ offer that regular CC assignments don't? And, what are these engines doing differently that are designed for MPE?

In watching the SS interview, it looks like you'd have to train yourself to have a super delicate initial touch! Which also means that as you playing and incidentally touching keys next to what you're playing, that you could be accidentally triggering unwanted notes, I imagine particularly the black keys. And the depth of the AT looks like it has more than the depth of most fully depressed keys on regular boards-

Altogether this looks like a board to be used for lead and solo lines!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I couldn't stand it, and just put in a pre-order.

I'll end up waiting close to a year for delivery, they are talking next fall. I love the idea of position sensitive keys. I love the sounds I heard from the engine on the demo video. I love the idea of having poly aftertouch for my other instruments that can receive it (Chroma!!!)

I realize that I may have to develop a new more delicate touch, and that I may not be able to bang out fast passages. It's a bit of a gamble, but I have spent my life dreaming of a board that can do this, so I put my money where my mouth was.

:love::saber::love:

Moe

---

I couldn't stand it, and just put in a pre-order.

:love::saber::love:

This is right up your street, brother. Congrats!

I am going to wait until I hear more about orchestral library compatibility and whether can get per-note expression from the libraries That's really what I want to be doing with the next rig, so I'll just wait and also buy a new computer and spec everything out together.

But man, polyphonic modular with per note expression. :love:

So what does MPE and MPE+ offer that regular CC assignments don't? And, what are these engines doing differently that are designed for MPE?

You might want to check out this link. When you send a CC, all notes being played on a keyboard (or a zone of a keyboard) are going to hear and obey that cc, whether it's asking for vibrato or opening a filter. With MPE, only one note gets that message while other notes you are holding down might be getting alternative messages or none at all. In MPE each note has it's midi channel so to speak. Not sure of all the details of MPE+ as defined by Expressive E and Haken, but I understand it's essentially MPE at a higher resolution.

Altogether this looks like a board to be used for lead and solo lines!

Yes, but the biggest benefit is when you play multiple lines and they are all expressive. :)

well the Pre-order has sold out......

now we have a year to learn Haken concepts...yikes.

I thought the synth sounded fantastic and very distinct in the demos.

I can't believe it's taken this long to realise what Glenn and so many others seemed to make happen:

I hope somebody puts up a better ytube example of lateral finger movement by piano virtuosos, I could not find one I've recently seen from the 50's which was really dramatic.

Every week there is a new synth, and every thread on keyboards is full of whining about actions: for good reason. Finally there are piano-like actions..kawai and some of the wood key variants. Congratulations, Fatar et al, you are approaching late 18th century quality in some of your actions. If members don't have a Hammond or much time on one, put your fingers on a real one sometime, does not need to be on. No synth action I have tried is remotely close. The bakelite plastic is a unique material for one, but the main this, as most know, the keys extend deep inside the organ to the hinge, so a finger press on a black key right up at it's "end" feels near identical to a white key out at the edge. Find a synth like that. Please tell me what it is---besides Osmose.

The lack of imagination in keybed design, in contrast to so many other aspects of instrument design, is lamentable. Why? Many of the bigshots play themselves....

The seabed and other new style controllers really are innovative and interesting....but like everyone says.....not easy. Too different.

The MPE MIDI issue is daunting maybe----I could not believe the lack of love at Namm for MIDI 2.0 by many famous synth figures-- I think I heard Dave Smith poo-poo it. Just goes to show genius is fleeting...what did Einstein do after 30? The rest of his life was basically "being Einstein". Another know-it-all, like the rest of us LOL.

I'm just now retiring from 35 years of teaching skiing. "Downhill" Skiing started in the early 30's and fundamental ski design really did not change untill the 90's. Only the external threat of snowboarding broke the stubborn mindset of designers and it still took a decade to make really nice shaped skis.

The same thing is true of motocross bikes today. Glacial advancements since mid 2000s. The last bike I bought was illegal to race without adding weight!!!! In 1973 the top factory bikes weighed as little as 175lbs. Today they are near 250. OK my trials bike is 160, but you can't sit down LOL

26442671060_8c53d9f25c_c.jpg

Spanish Horse by unoh7, on Flickr

These days I mostly ride my electric mountain bike: which is considered an evil development by many mountain bikers....there it is in a nutshell. Trail impact is identical, but e-bikes are too easy. Arrgh.

27688688814_cf96119eb3_c.jpg

L1050754 by unoh7, on Flickr

This is probably the most useful toy I ever bought. I rarely drive even my modern cars once the snow melts.

Hooray for Osmose!

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Extremely tempted, just wish I could touch one first.

I felt the same way, but with the deposit being 100% refundable and the certainty that we'd get more hands on impressions before next summer? I didn't take long to decide to jump in. I'm sure it will feel unusual, but watching a variety of keyboardists play it without apparent issues was sufficient to give me hope. It's not like the average unweighted synth action is anything I'm particularly enamored of.

well the Pre-order has sold out......

Only the 40% off deal has sold out. There's now a "second chance" offer that's still an attractive 33% off. It's also time and quantity limited, so if you're tempted then now would be the time.

For those eager for more information, Sonic LAB has their first look up:

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

I've listened to one demo which sounded sad but musically usable. Logically, there is a need for a zero response time controller with great static and dynamic accuracy, and an electrical connection to carry the needed informations per second, for which Midi is a bit slow, depending. An analog keyboard on an analog synth, and analog controls on an analog synth (without a microprocessor in between for memory) is a good comparison, but of course isn't polyphonic, and doesn't have fancy forms of polyphonic touch.

The MPE+ samples signals at about 500 Hz, the MPE (non +) at 25, so I suppose the latter can do more or less what (USB?) MIDI is capable of, and the newer protocol is about an order of magnitude faster, which I"d prefer still quite a bit faster for full touch neutrality, and coupled with at the very least a fixed latency response, which appears not to be guaranteed at all, very important for expression, though, just like the digitally driven sound source you connect to experiment with this.

T

For people who want to learn more about MPE and why it's so important, please check out this thread in The Computer Lab forum. The thread has been dormant for a little while, but I plan to revive it by talking about my experiences with the many MPE controllers I have used and owned, and adding a bit about the Osmose.

It is a highly significant development, and really something that can be quite alien to traditional keyboard playing. The only other company in the world making a keyboard with a traditional-looking and near-traditional-feeling MPE keybed is Syntonovo in Holland, and the PAN isn't MPE because they claim MIDI is nowhere near fast enough to do what they need it to. Add to that the fact that the PAN is something like $4500? dollars, and the Osmose is a real bargain.

I view the Osmose as a more familiar way for traditional keyboardists to get into MPE, one that isn't crippled by a bad synth engine out of the starting gate. Even at full price it will be tremendously affordable in comparison to other designs, and as Mr. Clouser noted, it will be much easier to adjust to than the K-Board Pro 4 (which I still own and enjoy).

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

The Osmose will use the exact same EaganMatrix engine as the Continuum and ContinuuMini.

I correct myself. The Osmose's engine will actually be three times as powerful as the previous one, according to a hardware developer at Expressive E who shared some specs on another forum.

mike

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Great summary of the issues, Dr. Mike. Thank you :)

Dare I ask, what happened four months ago?

You're more than welcome, Tusker. This stuff is my bread and butter and I love talking about it (see my thread in the Computer Lab forum, where I will probably copy and paste this post).

Four months ago, I was in the middle of a pretty drastic period of self-searching and woodshedding, trying to figure out if any of the existing MPE controllers out there was going to do the job for me. The K-Board Pro 4 had just arrived, and I was already doing extensive work with (deep breath here) the ContinuuMini, Joué, Sensel Morph, LinnStrument, Seaboard RISE, Seaboard Block, Lightpad Block, and Artiphon INSTRUMENT 1, not to mention the huge number of not-quite-MPE controllers I was also evaluating, everything from the Push 2 and Launchpad Pro to the Irijule TheoryBoard and (in a very limited way) the Syntonovo PopAnalog.

Not only did I have to learn how each of these controllers worked, but then I had to determine how they did what they did, what their strengths and limitations were, whether any of the limitations were nonstarters (either in general or for me particularly), how their capabilities mapped to musical expression, and finally and most importantly of all... which of them went past pleasing my left brain with feature sets and implementation, wormed their way into my right brain, and pulled me all the way through the mire and out the other side, effectively becoming "invisible" to the creative process and encouraging music that was relatively free of technical fiddling.

If the Osmose had been announced then, I would have gleefully chucked all of them and taken out a deposit on an Osmose, effectively stifling my MPE explorations for the year it would take for the instrument to arrive and necessitating a deep dive into my ContinuuMini to really get a grasp of EaganMatrix - which, to be honest, is about as much fun to work with as an assembly-language debugger. There's no guarantee that the Osmose would be what I wanted or needed, and I would have squandered a vital opportunity to really learn about this stuff... and in the process, about myself as a musician. As it is, I was comfortable with my eventual choice of a primary MPE controller, noted one or two others with very notable strengths of one sort or another that were worth keeping around if only for limited applications, and was in the process of finding good homes for the rest of them when the Osmose was announced. As previously mentioned, I was able to look at the Osmose in an objective and cool-headed manner and avoid instantly shelling out for it in the hope that it would magically solve my issues with performance.

(This also means that I now have several MPE controllers up for sale; that's not to say they aren't great, because all of them are in some way or another, but more to say that they aren't my particular cup of tea. Someone else will probably get great use for them, and I plan to list them in the Garage Sale thread soon, as well as on Reverb.)

mike

Dr. Mike, Great summary of the the MPE landscape and issues. I am one who tried a Seaboard and just couldn't get along with it. It was more expressive than a standard keyboard, but also frustratingly incapable of nuance that I wanted to generate.

To the thread, I think the thing about the Eagen Matrix that stood out in the video was when they noted that every single pin in the matrix can accept modulation from any of the controller data streams. While it makes it complex to program, that kind of modulation and subtlety has to be a lot of what makes the sounds so expressive. The Solaris calls this "modular style modulation" - destination-based routing. Any mod source can affect any destination that accepts modulation. It is kind of an unlimited mod matrix. Once you use it a normal mod matrix seems a bit odd. In the Solaris, you think you want to modulate it, there's a choice of close to 50 things you can use. But most of them are not tied to physical control. They are LFO's, the oscillators, rotors, etc. In the Eagen Matrix the options tie to physical control that appears to be significantly higher resolution than other things.

I do think Theo is right on controller scanning rates. I have a Non-Linear Labs C15 keyboard. It does not use MIDI. It does scan the keyboard and controllers 4,000 times a second. It creates a very connected and subtle playing surface. The pitch bender feels as natural as doing bends on a guitar. Higher scanning rates and controller data flows are a very good thing for live manipulation.

I'm just now retiring from 35 years of teaching skiing. "Downhill" Skiing started in the early 30's and fundamental ski design really did not change untill the 90's. Only the external threat of snowboarding broke the stubborn mindset of designers and it still took a decade to make really nice shaped skis.

Oh yea the new put a snowboard on each foot tech. You know there used to be the phrase

"skiing the deep" but now a days it's just water skiing on the snow. turn around look and say

yea thous crappy looking turns look like you put a lot of effort in to carving them.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

The Osmose will use the exact same EaganMatrix engine as the Continuum and ContinuuMini.

I correct myself. The Osmose's engine will actually be three times as powerful as the previous one, according to a hardware developer at Expressive E who shared some specs on another forum.

mike

Thanks for the hot tip!

https://community.polyexpression.com/t/expressive-e-osmose/409/69

So to your knowledge, Continuum has only one DSP, while Osmose will have 3, thus having triple the power? Or does Continuum also have a triple DSP board, but Osmose will get a processing bump?

Although keys is not my main instrument, I too appreciated how quickly Nick adapted to the Osmose as an instrument, which indeed must be reassuring to keyboardists.

So to your knowledge, Continuum has only one DSP, while Osmose will have 3, thus having triple the power? Or does Continuum also have a triple DSP board, but Osmose will get a processing bump?

There's an "EaganMatrix Expander" for the Continuum that triples the available DSP power. The Osmose contains the equivalent of a Continuum plus the expander.

Not being able to resist PolyAT, even in the form of MPE, I think it may be worth a try. They are scheduled to be at NAMM, so there will be a chance to play it. I just hesitate because of my Kickstarter experiences.

Oh and btw- motorized mtn bikes suck. Glad they are not allowed on our trails in AZ. You want a motorized bike for commuting? Then I don"t have a problem.

• 2 months later...

I just got my Osmose "update" as early adopter.....to be LOL

They got some new videos:

I asked them some questions:

Hi Charlie,

First of all, thanks a lot for supporting the Osmose project with your reservation and for taking part in the survey.

1) Osmose is planned to have a 2-part split/layer mode for the internal sound engine.

2) Yes, two parts are also available for the external MIDI at the same time, and all aspects of it, e.g. the external MIDI mode, the sensitivity and min/max of all expression zones aso can be set up conveniently on Osmose itself.

3) You have 6 macro knobs arranged around the big colour display, as seen on the pictures on our website. These will allow for easy navigating through the menu and also double as parameter macros for the inbuilt sound, tweaking aspects of a sound that were pre-defined on a per-preset basis by the sound designers.

4) MIDI routing should work comprehensively and easy. However, having Sysex is not planned for the moment, and I doubt it will be. I will however add it to the feature wishlist for our developers.

I hope these answers are helpful for you, let me know if I can assist in any other way.

Best regards,

Christopher Hans

Can you clarify what you were asking about for answer number four? Not having any SysEx support seems implausible since this is typically how preset management from an editor or librarian works. Given how obtuse Eagan Matrix can be for casual users, I had hoped there would be an opportunity for alternative editors.

Can you clarify what you were asking about for answer number four? Not having any SysEx support seems implausible since this is typically how preset management from an editor or librarian works. Given how obtuse Eagan Matrix can be for casual users, I had hoped there would be an opportunity for alternative editors.

Sure, sorry, you are right I should have put some context there.

I have a old JV1010, which sounds better than my 2019 Studiologic Numa Compact 2x in many regards, but needs a controller for live tweaking and any sound editing. That involves sending SYSEX messages and recieving them. What I have learned is not to take a user's ability to write the strings for granted. My Necktar T4 cannot do it, and actually very few boards or controllers really can, except some rudimentary ways. That is the context. The Roland A500(and 800/300) can do this easily, and have an editor to do it. I found a used A500 and it will take that task for now.

So I begged them for such a capabilty: something beyond the cc gruel. As you say I'm sure they must use sysex for some things themselves, and you can already use your phone or computer to transform a cc to sysex. There are also some midi routers etc which will do it also. My Numa certainly won't. So I'm not surprised or disappointed, I expected that.

What I did not take for granted is that, unlike the mono-timbral Hydrasynth, the Osmose with have two native parts. I don't think any Haken instrument does, but I'm no expert. In addition to that, like the NUMA, it will have two independant MIDI parts.

That is breaking news I think, and fantastic news. Of course if you read close: they are working toward that. Not a promise, but at least the intent.

Now, why manufacturers are so tight with the MIDI parts, is beyond me. There are 16 MIDI channels why not make all available for splits and layers? This is simple code which has been written countless times already. It takes very little memory.

However, no doubt it's an extra 20K plus to get it done, and that is coming out of somebody's bonus in the case of larger companies. In these guys case, I imagine it's really a matter of time. They have a huge amount on their plate, and I will cut them huge slack if they can just deliver the basic product in the predicted timeframe---or within 6 months of that.

I also begged for more controls on the synth, and he says it will have 6 Waldorf style Smart knobs, which I suspect will be done well, but it's not much for a live synth in 2020, unless you are Waldorf ;) The Access Snow is like that too. Nevertheless the Blofeld and Snow remain at the top of the digital synth heap in user's minds today.

Anyway, I suspect they are buring the midnight oil, even in France :)

Isn't an Osmose really a cello, in a sense? Why would anyone take it up and not seek to become a semi-virtuoso at it? That's no casual venture. I'm a full-use guy as much as possible. I'd feel like a dilettante if I didn't push the borders and seek to make everyone's eyebrows go up, including my own.

There is also the semi-issue of what you're playing. I'm 102% fine with emulating a cello in any way possible; its a lovely, uber-sound to me. I certainly couldn't master it. However, that still leaves you with the double challenge of becoming a viable faux cellist AND turning those odd synth patches into something that draws listeners in.

Its also in a rare atmosphere. The chances are quite good that no one but Jarre would ever haul one of these lovely boutique beasties onstage at all. I look forward to hearing what people do with it as it makes its way into the field, but I think it will be like the Chapman Stick: a few will marry it & make it an object of Studio Lust for a lot of us, but it will never filter down to the masses. ROLI has managed it, but this design doesn't seem likely to appear in a budget form. Its too much of a demigod item, in my view. Of course, that only has so much weight, as I sit and play a Monotron with a stylus and annoy my dog.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

The chances are quite good that no one but Jarre would ever haul one of these lovely boutique beasties onstage at all.

Barring Global Pandemic you will be seeing this board everywhere. You think it is fragile? The sample had more hands on it than..........I better not go there LOL. It isn't even expensive, compared to a nord.

Why do you think the pre-order sold out in 3 days? And the next one in less than a week?

Becasue nobody is going to use it?

Should we bet a 6-pack, delivered, on it's future on stage?

What I did not take for granted is that, unlike the mono-timbral Hydrasynth, the Osmose with have two native parts. I don't think any Haken instrument does, but I'm no expert. In addition to that, like the NUMA, it will have two independant MIDI parts.

That is breaking news I think, and fantastic news. Of course if you read close: they are working toward that. Not a promise, but at least the intent.

The specs on the official site, under polyphony, state 'Up to 24 voices with Layered, Split Modes' so it"s definitely official and IIRC that text was there from day one. So if it doesn"t happen some folks may feel slighted. I think it"s a safe bet, even if it isn"t there on day one.

Now, why manufacturers are so tight with the MIDI parts, is beyond me. There are 16 MIDI channels why not make all available for splits and layers? This is simple code which has been written countless times already. It takes very little memory.

In an analog or hybrid instrument there are solid architectural reasons why you don"t want to dynamically allocate voices across fixed VCF and VCA resources. In a pure digital instrument, it"s usually either per-layer effects, UI complexity, or both that are the limiting factor. Running sixteen independent effects chains is still a very real computational burden and takes quite a bit of dedicated memory for delay lines.