Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I feel like quitting

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never lacked for gigs. Either I'm very lucky, very good, or I've fooled enough people into thinking I'm very good.

My theory is that you love what you're doing, and because that's contagious, it makes people happy. People like to be happy, so they come to your gigs. Simple!

Whenever bands ask for advice about what to do for a stage act, I always say "have fun and enjoy yourself." Because if you are, the audience will follow along. :)

When working for a big agency in South Florida when I was still young, the agent gave great advice "Nobody wants to see a sober faced musician."

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

When working for a big agency in South Florida when I was still young, the agent gave great advice "Nobody wants to see a sober faced musician."

Notes

Probably good for a thread of it's own but...not quite true imo. Even as a concert goer I don't need or want everyone on stage putting on their "face", especially if the musician has something to say through his/her instrument. The keyboardist is probably the last member that needs the fake smile, gaze into the distance, or worse. Even during their solo moment in the spotlight I rather see them concentrating on their craft and giving it their all. No need for any visual entertainment- that's what the lead singer, guitarist and back-up singers are for.

It's the thing that turned me off from gigging long ago. I get that everyone is an entertainer and certain band situations warrant it, but it's often overdone and comes across as contrived. Let there be visual focus.

Notes

Probably good for a thread of it's own but...not quite true imo. Even as a concert goer I don't need or want everyone on stage putting on their "face", especially if the musician has something to say through his/her instrument. The keyboardist is probably the last member that needs the fake smile, gaze into the distance, or worse. Even during their solo moment in the spotlight I rather see them concentrating on their craft and giving it their all. No need for any visual entertainment- that's what the lead singer, guitarist and back-up singers are for.

It's the thing that turned me off from gigging long ago. I get that everyone is an entertainer and certain band situations warrant it, but it's often overdone and comes across as contrived. Let there be visual focus.

We have to remember that we listen with musicians' ears. Most of us could care less if the player is attractive, smiling, nicely dressed, or anything other than the music.

But when playing to the general audience, presentation is as important as the music.

Phony, pasted on smiles don't make it. But remember we are PLAYing music, and PLAY is the key word. If we are PLAYing we should be having a good time, and if we're having a good time, it should show with a happy face. There will be a few in the audience who come to actually listen intently to the music, so it's best that you play well too. It's a package deal.

At least that is the way I see it. On stage since 1964 it's worked for me. And I don't have to fake the smile, because gigging is the most fun I can have with my clothes on. ;)

Of course, as always YMMV - there is no one correct answer.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Phony, pasted on smiles don't make it. But remember we are PLAYing music, and PLAY is the key word. If we are PLAYing we should be having a good time, and if we're having a good time, it should show with a happy face. There will be a few in the audience who come to actually listen intently to the music, so it's best that you play well too. It's a package deal.

Yeah, absolutely - any joy has to be genuine! I'm not into "guitar face." If you're having a good time, you're going to look happy.

Of course, addressing the larger subject of stage presence in general, it doesn't have to be all smiley. When I saw the rebooted Little River Band, they had a dual guitar approach that was really good for "musician's ears." But although they didn't do the guitar face thing, their stage presence was exemplary because of the way they worked together. They were intent, in some ways serious, but you could almost see the lines of communication going back and forth between them. Playing off each other was its own kind of stage presence, and the (non-musician) audience knew it was something cool.

Or take Nine Inch Nails. I wouldn't say they look happy onstage, but they pour their hearts into their playing...which resonates with people.

Ultimately, I think the main thing audiences DON'T want is to see a musician who's just phoning in a part!

Frankie Moreno is playing Nashville on December 28...I hardly ever buy concert tickets, and I'm not a fan of Vegas acts, but I'm making an exception for him. He's a consummate entertainer...I'm up for going to a concert for the sole purpose of feeling good, watching people who absolutely love what they do, and smiling a lot :)

[video:youtube]

<...snip...>

Ultimately, I think the main thing audiences DON'T want is to see a musician who's just phoning in a part!

<...>

Yep. I think that's it in a nutshell.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

I am feeling better, plus I discovered a virtual pipe organ for my iPad and iPhone . Of course i need a better controller keyboard.

Glad to hear that you're feeling better, Paul. A good supportive community is very healthy for people facing (hopefully temporary) blocks like you were.

Also: which virtual pipe organ? And if you need a better controller keyboard, give me a budget and desired feature set and I'll be glad to give you recommendations you didn't ask for. :D

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Also, I was not exploring other options? Which is what i should have done. Like the world of VST"s. People have told me, there is a lot to be gained with software.

Not only have I been fascinated with the pipe organ, but also the Melotron and the Ondilieon and Claviolione. However, there is no stand alone version of either, well the ondilileon is part of Kontakt since it is a plug in. I can however find a stand alone Melotron VST. The Hardware versions are too expensive.