Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Did you Black Friday anything?

RABid

This is when I usually grab a bunch of Reason and Ableton packs but this year was extremely lite. Got a couple of Korg apps for my ipad while they are half off. Have to say the Korg Odyssey is a lot of fun. That is it for me. I think I have finally cured my outbreaks of GAS. :P

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was tempted to make a few impulse purposes -- temporary manufacturer discount on Roland VR-730, fleeting vendor discount on Behringer D, etc. -- but have managed to hold on to my wallet so far.

I'll probably pick up some Rhodes supplies from Vintage Vibe. Their Thanksgiving weekend sales are some of the only discounts they offer all year.

I have picked up a few things music related; Waves Gold bundle was down to $84.50 and Harrison Mixbus was down to $19 so thought would see what the fuss was about. I also come across Mix the Music where you can download multi tracks of famous songs and practice mixing in a special version of Presonus One. I haven"t downloaded this yet but thought would be a good way to hone the mixing skills!
Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage | Key Largo

I was tempted by the deals on Ableton Live upgrades (have a licence for V6 but haven"t used in a long time and fancy getting back into Live) but didn"t pull the trigger and probably wont now.

I have been pushing my wife towards a Mac mini as a gift for me for Christmas. No deals at Apple but a few on official resellers. It"s David"s fault for his excellent post on his new mini!

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage | Key Largo

I finally jumped in with FabFilter's Essentials: Pro-R reverb, Pro-C 2 compressor, and Pro-Q 3 EQ. I wish I had been paying attention when they had even deeper discounts for their 15th anniversary earlier in the year, but I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

Bought the Izotope "Black Friday Bundle" for $49 (supposedly a $700 value) for my son for his EDM productions. Was looking for a deal on the Behringer D (passed up the $225 deal last black friday), but missed the Thanksgiving day only discount from our "friend" and then saw the thread about the Poly D and figured I should wait...

Ebay had 3 Lynx L-slot MADI cards that dropped in price and were starting to move so I snagged one.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I am very suspicious of black Friday "deals." I ordered a pair of jeans from Old Navy a week ago. They were too long so I returned them. Then I went on the Old Navy site to order a different size. Here's the thing: when I bought them a week ago, the price was $25, When I looked again, the site advertised black Friday discount â 50% off. But the price was now $50. So it ends up being the same $25. That's a scam â essentially a lie about a black Friday deal. Old Navy can go have sexual intercourse with itself.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Wasn't any Black Friday discount involved, but I somewhat impulsively eBayed for a mint Mojo Classic, circa 2017.Supposedly hasn't been played, much less gigged with. Has the improved action. Got to get my B3 cravings under control- recently picked up a road warrior 145 and was on the verge of going back to get a chopped BV that was offered with it..

Not a thing Robert. I looked longingly at some Orchestral libraries I don"t need, though. ð

Oh, that hits close to home. I have the Symphony Series that came with Komplete 12 Ultimate Collector's Edition, plus Symphobia and Symphobia Coulars Animator. Friday I looked to see if any of the expansions for Symphobia were on sale. Not sure why. It's not like I need them. Luckily they are not on sale and it was easy to move on.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I picked up the new Neo Soul Keys for iPad for $12.99 and another SanDisk 1TB external SSD on Amazon for $125.

I am on the fence about doing a 1/2 price upgrade from Komplete 12 to Komplete 12 Ultimate. $299 for Razor, Alicia"s Keys, Skanner XT, lots of Scarbee basses, Abbey Road drum kits, Cuban and Balinese Gamelan percussion, George Duke loops, Symphony Essentials, and some interesting Kontakt, Reaktor and expansion stuff. Nothing urgent but nice to have and now I have a TB of storage for it. That would definitely be a splurge.

Also looking at a Mini Vent II for a Leslie sim upgrade to my Forte or FA-07 with output routing.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

A bit too much. Some developers barely have sales, so when they do and I wanted their product for a while, I splurge. Went a bit overboard this time. I got:

Strezov Sampling Wotan (man choir)

Strezov Sampling Rhodope II (Bulgarian woman choir)

VSL Big Bang Orchestra Andromeda + obligatory eLicense USB-key

Pianoteq Stage -> Pro upgrade

U-He Satin (tape simulation)

I had more on the wishlist, but this was already more than I thought I would get.

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

I also got the Neo Soul 2. And I found JBL Link 20, normally $200, for $50, refurb by JBL. Whats cool is it's a portable BT speaker with Google smarts built in. Was very tempted by the JBL 5" studio monitor sale, but Im moving. Anyone want to buy KRK 6000 monitors?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Music-wise, it was a very light year compared to past ones. I upgraded my Chicken Systems Translator to v7 for $29, and Cycling '74's Max to v8 for $150. That's it. I suppose it might be fair to include the deposit on the Osmose that I did the week before, but I don't want for anything. I spent most of the day writing a song.

Pretty much everything that I actually want at this point is fully professional level equipment that never goes on sale (or is still well beyond impulse buy territory even with a token 10-15% sale). There's no such thing as a 40% off Black Friday sale for Rupert Neve consoles or Genelec's best monitors or Focusrite's professional Dante interfaces. Most of the stuff that goes on sale is software or entry level gear.

I may still add Orchestral Tools new "JXL Brass" library. I have the Berlin Strings and Woodwinds already, and it would be nice to have brass also recorded at Teldex for the orchestral template. I mostly use SampleModeling brass today.

I most want a bigger studio. But that is definitely not a Black Friday item!

Color me guilty.

I bought some Eurorack modules and stuff. I've been monitoring the prices on eBay and Reverb and damned if it wasn't cheaper to buy new than used. A no-brainer. The downside was that I spent a butt-load of money. The upside was that I saved a butt-load of money and saved a lot of time that I would have wasted waiting for the things I want to come up used.

But new for less than used? Count me in.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Only thing that could be called musical was a deal on a Plantronics Voyager Legend Bluetooth headphone. Even at $135, decided against a set of Apple AirPods, because they can't be repaired when the battery dies (and it will). Other purchase was about $80 (at discount) of in-app books for Olive Tree Bible Study app (available for Win 10, Mac OS, IOS, and Android). I've had the app for a long time, but hadn't looked at their store and was amazed at just how much content is now available - not just Bibles but all sorts of books,

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Only thing I got so far is a brand new wurlitzer 200A amp from Vintage Vibe. As another poster says its usually the only time they have sales , and the amp is a new model. My wurli gets neglected from all the hiss and pops in it. I might also look at a padded cover for my gigging 142 Leslie at Ken Rich , another vendor that never has discounts.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

u-he's Zebra 2 is on sale, very tempting...especially considering that will apply toward Zebra 3. But bottom line I have enough synths and probably lack the patience to really make the best use of a semi-modular like Zebra.

However, I am probably going to get a choir/vocal Kontakt instrument, a guitar bundle, and a percussion "epic drum" style Kontakt instrument, all on sale. I like doing soundtrack-y type stuff so these should be a lot of fun.

Edit: also, Galileo organs are/were on sale along with all the other IOS plugins by that company. 2.99, can't really go wrong to see if it can sound better than the MODX b3 organ.

It's funny, I did spend some money the past few days, but none of it was Black Friday sales, as I already have everything that I need, of the stuff that was posted. I simply bought a few accessories for my wind instruments, using a regular 15% coupon. Some of the vendors of interest, seem to have abandoned Black Friday in favour of 12-day Christmas sales, coming up soon.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager