Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is the Korg SV1 still decent? All bugs/kinks worked out?

kwyn

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Grandstage is more versatile, but why do you think better durability? Or better interface, for that matter? (There are a ton more front panel controls for sound manipulation on the SV1.) I guess I'd have to give you nousing, though. ;-)

I haven't played a Grandstage, but I know its EP sounds from the Kronos... they're quite good, but I'd still take the SV1. I'd also like to try a Vox Continental some time, which has the Grandstage EPs, but adds a tube like the SV1. But you have to be okay with a non-hammer action.

As for the original question, I like the PX5S EPs too, but still not as much as the SV1. The Casio's 24 lb travel weight could be another factor, though. Both boards have gone so many years without an update that I'd say whatever quirks either may have should be considered permanent at this point. ;-)

Another possibility could be the Kurzweil PC4. Good stock EPs, but also, I would expect that you could load Busch's nice sounding Forte EPs into it...

https://www.purgatorycreek.com/index.php/vkc-for-kurzweil-forte/

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

In one of the bands I play in the acoustic guitar player (who was the keyboard player before I joined) has an SV-1. I use it at practice and at a couple of shows. Neither the acoustic piano nor any of the electric pianos, in my opinion (and the former keyboard players opinion) are as good as my PC3's. The one thing I will say about the SV-1's electric pianos is the transition from light touch to heavy touch is more "realistic" than my PC3's, but the tone itself is not as authentic. He bought the SV-1 because of its ease of use; no menu diving; all of the controls are right in front of you. You said you wanted really good EP's and average or better acoustic piano; that being said I don't think that the SV-1 is going to deliver that for you, if you are picky about those sounds.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I"m glad to hear from other happy SV-1 users, as I"m thinking about replacing mine, since It"s 10 years old now, but I can"t make that move yet, as I"m still very attached to it. I even prefer the Latest SV-1 AP which Korg released in the 3rd soundpack, to the Vox Conti AP, which is the same as the Grandstage. And of course, I still like the EP amped and the Wurli. I"m still a GAS victim from time to time, but in the end, I come back to my initial state of mind, which tells me that the SV-1 is still fun to play and still sounds good. So your opinions also help here ;-) With that said, if I had to buy a new keyboard today, I would probably not buy a SV-1, but rather a Grandstage, as it"s also a very good DP, with modern technology and more features than the SV-1.

Very happy with my SV-1, which I have zero intention of replacing any time soon.

I love the EPs, and the AP sounds work really nicely for me in a rock band context. I even like the RH3 action, which I know isn"t a universally held opinion.

Not the easiest thing to cart around though, would love it to be a little lighter.

I've recently seen SV-1s in two rigs on TV, so even with the recent creditable competition, its holding its own with some players. It seems to be one of those 'boards that stays backlisted because its still a good workhorse. I've seen the Mainstage in use as well. Like most other companies, parts of their previous instruments always seem to reside in Bank B.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I"m glad to hear from other happy SV-1 users, as I"m thinking about replacing mine, since It"s 10 years old now, but I can"t make that move yet, as I"m still very attached to it. I even prefer the Latest SV-1 AP which Korg released in the 3rd soundpack, to the Vox Conti AP, which is the same as the Grandstage.

This is the first time I hear of 3rd soundpack. Can't find anything about it in the internets. Am I missing something?

If you"re not after a hammer action, do try the Vox Continental. Its waterfall action blew me away for organs and synths, of course, but also for EPs and even APs. Just got a new update a few weeks ago with a split function and 58 more sounds. And as A/Scott mentioned, there"s a tube for grit. Built like a tank, that Vox. Got both the 61 and 73, that"s how much I love 'em.

If you"re not after a hammer action, do try the Vox Continental. Its waterfall action blew me away for organs and synths, of course, but also for EPs and even APs. Just got a new update a few weeks ago with a split function and 58 more sounds. And as A/Scott mentioned, there"s a tube for grit. Built like a tank, that Vox. Got both the 61 and 73, that"s how much I love 'em.

Good to know but I definitely want hammer action. I already have an electro 5d.

I may just use my iPad with neo soul keys and/or my nord midi'd to my Casio CGP 700

Haven't had luck finding what I was looking for, but found this and it seemed a good place to start.

I'm seriously considering the SV1. I'm playing a Kronos now and I really like the RH3 keyboard for AP/EP, so that attracts me to the SV1, but not so much for playing organ. I control the Kronos organs with my XK2; it serves as a really nice controller with its waterfall keys. I've searched here and read the specs on the SV1, but still can't determine if it's multitimbral. Can I MIDI the XK2 to the SV1 and play both boards with 2 separate sounds?

Still enjoying the Kronos, but sometimes it's overkill, it's kinda heavy, and I'm kind of beating it up, taking it out 3+ nights a week. The 73 key SV1 would lighten my load and serve as a good backup board too.

Any help appreciated.

"May you stay...forever young."

You'll have to act fast if you want a new one.

One of the biggest retailers in Europe, Thomann, no longer stocks the SV-1, listed as 'sold out'. If you search for it now on their site, you can't even find it anymore.

So I assume it's slowly being phased out...

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...

Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...

Kawai CA58, Kawai ES110

I've searched here and read the specs on the SV1, but still can't determine if it's multitimbral. Can I MIDI the XK2 to the SV1 and play both boards with 2 separate sounds?

Well, in the 2 additional soundpacks, Korg introduced various splits (like bass+piano, or organ+piano) and layers, so in theory, the SV1 is multitimbral. But I don't think it is possible to have an additional keyboard playing one of the sound of the SV1, while the SV1 plays another sound. I never tried it, but I know there are not much MIDI control operations possible with the SV1.

Also I won't recommend the SV1 organs, as they are not really good and tweakables compared to other DPs.

So I think you should look for other options...

in the 2 additional soundpacks, Korg introduced various splits (like bass+piano, or organ+piano) and layers, so in theory, the SV1 is multitimbral.
I wouldn't call that multitimbral - there isn't really independent control of two timbres. Plus organs are weak. I think it's the wrong tool for this particular job.

Cheers, Mike.

I'm seriously considering the SV1. I'm playing a Kronos now and I really like the RH3 keyboard for AP/EP, so that attracts me to the SV1, but not so much for playing organ. I control the Kronos organs with my XK2; it serves as a really nice controller with its waterfall keys. I've searched here and read the specs on the SV1, but still can't determine if it's multitimbral. Can I MIDI the XK2 to the SV1 and play both boards with 2 separate sounds?

No, SV1 is monotimbral. It has a "trick" of having a few patches that combine two sounds as mentioned above, but internally, they are still a single sound, not separately addressable in any way. Korg Grandstage might do what you want. It also has the RH3, and can split/layer two sounds, and has some ability to play two sounds independently from its internal keys and external... though its MIDI functionality is kind of minimal, and I don't know for sure whether it would permit the exact combination you're after. Functionally, the Nord Electro 6HP would be kind of similar to the SV1, but with much better organ sound, and you can definitely drive its organs from your XK2. Overall, I'd say the Electro is a lighter, better sounding, more flexible board than the SV1, but the SV1 is cheaper, has better EPs, and the big question mark would be what you think of its action.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks everyone for the input. I was doubting the SV1 was multitimbral...and now I know.

Kind of off topic, but I moved from a Kurz PC3 to the Kronos specifically because of the PC3's action. Love the board, hate the action. I'd end a night with my hands/forearms aching into the next day, every time. Weird as it's a semi weighted board, but I've come to the conclusion it's due to the spring back of the keys. With the Kronos...never had a problem. I've even looked into picking up a cheap Studiologic VMK 76 and transplanting its keyboard into the PC3, but they're hard to find and I'm not convinced I could pull it off. Pretty sure I'm going to sell it, but need to get a backup board before I do. Nords look & sound great, but after the PC3, I don't know I want to take another chance with a semi weighted board. They're way pricey too.

Hmmm...decision, decisions!

Nords look & sound great, but after the PC3, I don't know I want to take another chance with a semi weighted board.

I recommended the HP model in particular because it is a hammer action board, which it seemed you wanted. It's not semi-weighted.

Yes, the pushback on the PC3 is too much for some people, including me. But if you can locate alternate lighter springs for them (syntaur used to have them), it solves the problem completely. And it's an easy swap.

If the PC3 would work for you except for the action, you could also look at the new PC4, which is hammer action. It has almost all the capabilities of the PC3 (and is also compatible with PC3 sounds), and more, and weighs under 30 lbs. The only sound that I think is unquestioningly better in the Nord thand the Kurz is the organ, and the Kurz is a lot more flexible overall.

Thanks much for the follow up & suggestions. Yea...I actually sold a set of the Syntaur springs up here. They probably would have worked better, but it's still a semi weighted feel, and I'm not a fan.

Got the Grandstage now in my sights. Seems like it's got the SV1's simplicity and immediacy...only better sounds and more flexibility. The 6HP is a grand more than GS and almost twice the price of a new SV1, and reviews give the keybed some pretty low marks for durability. I do pound a bit so that's concerning for a board of that price. The PC4 is intriguing though. I owned Kurzweils for a good solid 25 yrs.. K2000, K2VX, SP76, K2600 and PC3. There's no better board for MIDI capabilities and I know VAST well. I grew kind of tired of their APs but they're useable. My only hangup now is no 73/76 key model. The PC4s weight is a major plus, but the length could be challenging on many of the gigs I play.

I think I have more hand wringing deliberations to come ; )

I like the SV1. I like the RH3 better on the SV1 than the Kronos 2. The SV1 pianos are compressed and punchy. They work great in a Rock band. I don"t know jack about the Grandstage.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Got the Grandstage now in my sights. Seems like it's got the SV1's simplicity and immediacy...only better sounds and more flexibility.

Generally yes, but I still might take the SV1 EPs, which I still usually prefer to the Kronos EPs which are in the Grandstage (which are still quite good, as you know from your Kronos).

The PC4s weight is a major plus, but the length could be challenging on many of the gigs I play.

You could look at the Forte 7 to solve that... but then the weight and price are creeping back up.

I like the SV1. I like the RH3 better on the SV1 than the Kronos 2.

Same here. I haven't tried it on the Grandstage, though.

I tried the Grandstage once in a music shop and it felt immediately good to me. Maybe just a little softer than the SV1, but overall quite good. Never tried a Kronos, is it the same keyboard than the Grandstage?

My only issues now with the SV1 are:

- The DS-2H pedal is broken and I can't find a new one. The DS-1H does not work with it. It is possible to modify it to make it work, but it takes a little effort and if you don't do it right, you need to buy a new one. Other standard pedals work but don't support half damper, which is a bit annoying.

- One of the XLR output is not working, probably due to a broken capacitor, so I need to bring it to a workshop to fix it.

- In general, I feel a little lack of sustain in the pianos and electric pianos, due to the fact that my ear is now used to the latest sounds available in recent keyboards or apps (like Korg Module or Neo Soul Keys Studio). In a band context it is not really a problem, just when playing solo, it lowers a bit the pleasure of playing.

So I feel more and more the need to replace it in 2020, and my main target is the Grandstage. But let's see... The other possibility would be to keep the SV1 as a controller and use an iPad. I find it not so convenient though for gigging...