Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neo-Soul Keys Studio 2 for iPad

Pardon if this has been posted already.

Gospel Musicians has released a new version 2 of Neo-Soul Keys Studio for iPad, on sale for $12.99 U$D till sometime Cyber Monday.

CLONK

Quick perusal indicates a complete architecture overhaul adding some new EPs, with editing / interface / fx updates based on Pure Synth Platinum.

Massive package but it appears you can download the engines you want, leave the others off-loaded, or use an external drive if your iPad doesn"t have the storage.

Here for the gear.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just upgraded and I can"t imagine this amount of quality sound coming from an iPad.

No offense, just shocked if my rig sounds this good with the new Pianos that my little iPad could be used live.

Really fantastic upgrade for 70 bucks.

Blending presets with the stellar FX and Keyscape/PianoTeq.

Talk bout EPiano powerhouses.

This is more like a Christmas present than a Black Friday deal.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Gig-worthy? How do they compare with the Nord stuff and version 1 of neo soul?

now only my view, but : it sh@ts all over the first mentioned, and is a lot LOT better than the second.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

now only my view, but : it sh@ts all over the first mentioned, and is a lot LOT better than the second.

Awesome. Even on a non-pro iPad (most recent)??

I'm gonna give it a try.

Awesome. Even on a non-pro iPad (most recent)??

I'm gonna give it a try.

I'm on an iPad pro 12.9, running iPadOS - and I downloaded all the samples that go along with the new setup (all included in the price haha!) This new version gives you the option of either streaming samples from a connected hard drive or to downlaod directly to iPad storage. I have plenty so I went with the download to iPad.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

I use NeoSoulKeys as AU/VST in Mainstage.

If you already own it, getting Neo Soul Keys 2 for Mac is $70 right now.

Looks like a lot more sampled instruments, different mic/ positions, and additional FX plus the FX rack as an AU/VST.

The CP-70 sounds intriguing.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

My view too. I found the presets in Version 1 lacking but was satisfied when I could save my own. This time around there are a LOT of great ones out of the gate that I could play all day. The new interface is much improved and more intuitive. Really thorough and well-considered work here from Jamal and his team (he keeps saying 'we' so just assuming). Check out the link posted by Analogika for tutorial & run-through of available sounds/presets. The tutorial for desktop is pretty much mirrored on the iOS version.

BTW I downloaded the whole library onto my 2018 iPad v6 with no problems.

Here for the gear.

couple of questions for those that have it.

A. Have they straightened some of the tuning issues on the older versions? (just seemed a slight bit off)

B. Does the new version allow for volume pedals? (old version didn't)

The sound quality on the older versions was great for certain EPs, sounds like they're even better now, that's cool.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I'm more concerned with polyphony than storage. For example, if I'm holding the sustain pedal down and doing the run of Riders on the Storm, are notes gonna drop and crackle?

Just did it, no issues at all...that's on MY system though, ymmv :)

I haven"t had an issue with polyphony on my iPad either.

Some questions above may be answered in the video. Jamal covers volume around 2:45 (I did a volume knob learn earlier) and around 10:00 there is a fair amount of time taken up on tuning.

BTW, Tremolo is called Auto Pan. If you load up a preset that has Trem, you"ll see it in the bank of fx knobs.

The video is meant to overview the Desktop version but the iOS seems to be the same.

[video:youtube]

Here for the gear.

I have several ep apps, to me this is the cream of the crop. It feels and sounds more natural and organic then the rest. They"re all excellent, yet I can"t tear myself away from this one. I"m a preset player who makes minor edits, so I can"t comment on the deep dive editing that others will do. Playing from my iPad Pro through a Korg plug key on my Studiologic SL-990 in my rehearsal room, I may miss Thanksgiving.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

Any upgrade path for iPad Neo Soul Studio owners?

70 bucks.

It"s what I paid for it.

Not a big fan of their Wurlitzer but it is chunky and beefs up other Wurlys.

All of their EPs are beefy.

I layer everything though.

Keyscape LA Rhodes has beautiful bullish ppp/pp tines and blends really well with Neo.

I can actually do old chick and Bill Evans like a real Rhodes but with even a bigger controllable Pan.

Loving it.

Nevada pricing...

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Holly mackerel! I love gigging with this app. My slight modifications to a Suitcase preset provides a rich, full sound and the app has a quick and easy UI. The sound cut through the stage mix very well for solos and then back into the groove just by utilizing the wonderfully dynamic velocity range; very few twists of the volume knob were needed all night. My current settings might have it just a tad too dark on the lower velocity, but I'm VERY pleased with the Suitcase tone on the first outing. I added the app's Pre-Amp, and set it on the home screen for quick adjustment along with the Phaser and Chorus. I think I like it better without the Chorus so will probably bring back the Auto-Pan in its place.

Got a CP80 sound heavily modified with effects...didn't get a chance to use it at the show, though. Maybe next week. Same goes for the Clav. I don't have the Wurly to my liking yet. MODX has pretty good emulations so I'm really not hurting for one, but would be nice to have it on the Numa Compact 2 controller with the other EP's.

Whelp, gotta go dink around with these tones some more. What a great time to be a keyboarder!

Holly mackerel! I love gigging with this app. My slight slight modifications to a Suitcase preset provides a rich, full sound and the app has a quick and easy UI. The sound cut through the stage mix very well for solos and then back into the groove just by utilizing the wonderfully dynamic velocity range; very few twists of the volume knob were needed all night. My current settings might have it just a tad too dark on the lower velocity, but I'm VERY pleased with the Suitcase tone on the first outing. I added the app's Pre-Amp, and set it on the home screen for quick adjustment along with the Phaser and Chorus. I think I like it better without the Chorus so will probably bring back the Auto-Pan in its place.

Got a CP80 sound heavily modified with effects...didn't get a chance to use it at the show, though. Maybe next week. Same goes for the Clav. I don't have the Wurly to my liking yet. MODX has pretty good emulations so I'm really not hurting for one, but would be nice to have it on the Numa Compact 2 controller with the other EP's.

Whelp, gotta go dink around with these tones some more. What a great time to be a keyboarder!

Brenner, I see you have a JX-10! That was one of my first and favorite keyboards!

Are you running neo-soul 2 on iOS?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

• 1 year later...
How will Neo Soul 2 do on an iPad Air 2? I have the capacity (it's a 128GB model) but will I be able to get the buffer low enough? Anyone use it on the Air 2? This is a seven-year old iPad. I have VTines but quite dissatisfied with the lack of bark â however VTines runs at a 128 buffer no problem, and the Korg Module (free version acoustic piano) runs at 64. $12 is certainly reasonable but I still wouldn't want to waste money on a VI that'll be unplayable. Thanks!

I wonder how much better is this new version to my old one (first gen of Neo Soul Keys). I have the full package of Rhodes, Wurlie, Ex5 and Dyno piano, and it's already very good and solid.
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

How will Neo Soul 2 do on an iPad Air 2? I have the capacity (it's a 128GB model) but will I be able to get the buffer low enough? Anyone use it on the Air 2? This is a seven-year old iPad. I have VTines but quite dissatisfied with the lack of bark â however VTines runs at a 128 buffer no problem, and the Korg Module (free version acoustic piano) runs at 64. $12 is certainly reasonable but I still wouldn't want to waste money on a VI that'll be unplayable. Thanks!
My portable "for fun" rig has Neo Soul Keys Studio 2 and the Hammond B-3X on a 1st gen. iPad Air; it is stable for for basic presets with very, very light f/x. Generally I leave my buffer size at 512 samples or higher, but it is possible to venture down to to 256 without incident. Neo Soul has handled extended playing at 64 samples, though once again, with basic presets and almost no f/x. On this machine, Korg Module Pro can run happily at 64 samples.

To optimize/free up CPU resources I did the following:

- turn OFF Notifications on all apps

- turn ON Do Not Disturb

- turn OFF Siri & Search

- if possible, turn OFF Bluetooth and WIFI

* turning Notifications off makes a most difference on both the Mac and iPad; the Notification scheduler eats up a lot of CPU cycles.