Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I�m quitting

I"ve quit a few times. I never miss it. I ride more miles and get back into cycling and spend more time at the dojo. But I then someone calls and I get the 'we really need you speech". I look like a mean grouchy bastard but I have trouble telling people no. But they pay me. There is always the Baldwin and Hammond in the house though. It helps that with the exception of Football, TV sucks.

You only get one life. There is no dress rehearsal. Do different things.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe slightly OT, but because I just let my narcissistic ways fly sometimes...

I just painfully quit my most recent group. I already have two other gigging projects that play kind of crappy bar band covers, but the tunes are pretty easy and usually lots of fun seeing people strut their stuff to them. This most recent group are the best musicians I"ve had opportunity to play with for decades, but the song choices are rather difficult. The rehearsals are on Mondays... the worst possible day for my stressful commuter day job. The few gigs I played with them ended up being very hard work and the anxiety displaced most of the fun. This is mostly because I gave very little of my personal practice time for learning those difficult tunes; perhaps because it"s really not the type of music I want to play anymore.

However painful it is right now, I"m sure that my departure is best for all involved. Since then, the two gigs with my other two bands were loads of fun.

Attempting to make a point here: Do what you think is right. Do what makes you happy. Be open to try new things knowing that some just won"t float your boat. There are lots of other waters out there.

Composing music is a talent that not everybody has. I"ve known a few people who can crank out originals like I fart after a burrito. It"s amazing. I don"t have an original cell in my body. I"ve written exactly two songs in my 62 years, and they were both garbage. I can play other people"s crap, but I can"t create a lick of my own (total pun intended), while some folks can just spit out song after song. So don"t get down about the writing â some people got to, most of us don"t.

Likewise with synthesizers. I"ve had countless boards that can do all kinds of cool stuff, but I don"t have that creativity to do anything other than copy what somebody else has done. So I got rid of most of them and kept one just in case, plus a stage piano. I find it much more gratifying now just keeping it simple with the piano and the occasional pad layers. And I don"t miss the other stuff. I can completely relate to where you"re coming from with synths, too. Way back in college I remember hearing somebody practicing a French horn, and somebody else sitting at an ARP synth spinning a bunch of knobs and within a few seconds almost perfectly mimicking the French horn. How cool, I thought. Some time later I got to sit at the same ARP and was just completely flummoxed â could not figure out where to even begin to make anything remotely resembling a musical note. That was the beginning of my very frustrated relationship with synths.

As for playing, Max earlier had a great point. What kind of music do you like to listen to? Maybe look up some various piano works and see if anything tickles you. Keep it simple, and just stick with the piano, and keep your ears open for stuff you might like to play yourself. You"re the only one you need to satisfy, not anybody else.

Or just take a break. But as almost everybody else has said, don"t unload everything â keep a piano, and maybe a synth in case you get the itch.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

I emphatically support your decision to quit. I mean, this isn't like atheletics where you will lose your capacity if you go dormant. Get rid of your gear and live your life. There's nothing keeping you from returning later, and gear will always be cheaper and more powerful. Take care of yourself and come back when or if you are ready.

"For instance" is not proof.

I don't know anything of the OP other than what's in this thread, but based on that, it seems to me the best thing he could do for himself would be to get out in the community and make some real connections. You often hear about internet "communities." I think that's mostly bullshit. The sense of community you get through your screen is but shadow of the real thing, and it's not going to save you when you have a really really bad day, the kind of day that makes you want to give up a lot more than just playing music.

Whether you play music or not is much less consequential than whether you have caring connections with real people. For me, the former has always facilitated the latter, and that's been one of the best things about it. But if I didn't play music, I'd join a biking or hiking club, or maybe volunteer with some charitable organization. Your connections with real people will give your life substance. The TV and laptop can only give you the illusion of substance.

Where I live there are "rock music schools" that basically bring adults together to play with each other in bands. It's for novices, but it's a starting point. I've seen how it can really work. The fun they have in that environment gives them real inspiration to strive for more.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I don"t know, gang. if Paul wants to 'quit', then maybe he should just go ahead and quit. Not sure why everyone is trying to convince him not to. Everything isn"t for everybody. I don"t know Paul - I have no idea if he"s really destined to play music and just in a funk, or if he"s right.

Paul - If you want to do something else, go do it. If music draws you back, it will. If not , you were right. If it does, maybe then you"ll find the focus or dedication you now lack. If you"re just dicking around and not applying any sense of purpose or goal - i see your point. Sam had good questions - if you don"t perform, compose, create, or other ... not sure what you"re walking away from anyway. Do what you want, you"re not a kid being forced to take piano lessons by hovering parents.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Hey Paul, I hope you don't mind me calling attention to this because I think it would be beneficial to the conversation. You had mentioned earlier having Aspbergers and have also mentioned things like treatment for depression, etc. The only reason why I bring this up is because I feel like a lot of people are trying either diagnose or make suggestions without really fully understanding everything. You mentioned plenty of times in other threads about struggling to stay disciplined back in your childhood when taking lessons, and now talk about just wanting to be on your iphone and ipad. I think that it's important for everybody, including YOU, to understand that you may have some unique challenges. Not that they can't be overcome, but you might have to work harder than others who are giving you advice.

After all of these posts, you have still never really communicated exactly what you want to achieve. It seems like you think if you just keep buying a bunch of different stuff, eventually one of them will magically bring you happiness. It doesn't work that way. There are no short cuts. You just have to put in the work to achieve figuring out how to get the sounds in your head to come out of the speakers. If the journey doesn't make you happy, pick something else.

You also just so happen to be exactly my age. You said no to midlife crisis. If you don't like that term, call it something else. But folks our age do tend to struggle a bit more to find happiness whether it's music or anything else. I hear it's much better in your 50's . Keeping my fingers crossed.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Hey Paul, I hope you don't mind me calling attention to this because I think it would be beneficial to the conversation. You had mentioned earlier having Aspbergers and have also mentioned things like treatment for depression, etc. The only reason why I bring this up is because I feel like a lot of people are trying either diagnose or make suggestions without really fully understanding everything. You mentioned plenty of times in other threads about struggling to stay disciplined back in your childhood when taking lessons, and now talk about just wanting to be on your iphone and ipad. I think that it's important for everybody, including YOU, to understand that you may have some unique challenges. Not that they can't be overcome, but you might have to work harder than others who are giving you advice.

After all of these posts, you have still never really communicated exactly what you want to achieve. It seems like you think if you just keep buying a bunch of different stuff, eventually one of them will magically bring you happiness. It doesn't work that way. There are no short cuts. You just have to put in the work to achieve figuring out how to get the sounds in your head to come out of the speakers. If the journey doesn't make you happy, pick something else.

You also just so happen to be exactly my age. You said no to midlife crisis. If you don't like that term, call it something else. But folks our age do tend to struggle a bit more to find happiness whether it's music or anything else. I hear it's much better in your 50's . Keeping my fingers crossed.

What I want to achieve is not possible! I wish I had the ability to sit down and just start playing, without thinking. Maybe, if I had more of interest, or if i was not taught the classical method. My late paternal grandmother, was an accomplished piano player. It"s too bad none of her talent, rub off on me.

Hi Paul there area lot of positives for learning piano , I thought I could never learn it but promised myself I would not give up on trying . The best way for me was to get easy to play sheet music and learn the notes then the chords and practice the songs till I started learning , it took me forever but just the act of keeping at it I eventually started learning which got me more interested and then slowly got better at it , it is also great exercise for stimulating your brain and is also good for your body and soul . Learning is always a positive .

Then how come I have an fascination for synthesizers and pipe organs?

Maybe because they produce a sound (noise) that's pleasing to your ears. ;)

Music is a form of organized noise. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Maybe I just needed to vent!

That's what it's looking like. I mean this in the best possible way. Maybe you're just ready for a new hobby. I've known hundreds of professional musicians in my life. None of them could quit even if they wanted to. I know we're not all pros here, but for most, music is something they love, and they enjoy the work of improving their skill set every day. For you perhaps it is just a hobby that has become less interesting and unrewarding. I saw the term Aspergers Syndrome referred to in someone's post (though I don't see it in your posts). As someone who can say it takes one to know one, if you are on the spectrum, you will find a new consuming interest in no time. No doubt it will fire up your neurons and put a smile on your face.

Maybe I just needed to vent!

That's what it's looking like. I mean this in the best possible way. Maybe you're just ready for a new hobby. I've known hundreds of professional musicians in my life. None of them could quit even if they wanted to. I know we're not all pros here, but for most, music is something they love, and they enjoy the work of improving their skill set every day. For you perhaps it is just a hobby that has become less interesting and unrewarding. I saw the term Aspergers Syndrome referred to in someone's post (though I don't see it in your posts). As someone who can say it takes one to know one, if you are on the spectrum, you will find a new consuming interest in no time. No doubt it will fire up your neurons and put a smile on your face.

Well, there is my fascination with antique phonographs, and 78 records, and Edison Records. Plus my YouTube channel 'Nipper"s Lounge.'

Sometimes quitting is the right thing to do. If something is sucking up time and energy and not providing anything positive in your life, then hell yes, quit! And start something else that's better.

that reminds me of our local our town FaceBook groups ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

As others have said, do what makes you Happy. But I think by saying your quitting here your looking for others to give you a reason not to.

I,ve thought about it myself but playing music is just too ingrained in me now so I keep going. You may still enjoy just playing at home and playing just what you like with no outside expectations.

I downloaded JeuxdorgMini Pipe Organ app for my iPad and IPhone. For a change of pace. Not that I have a wide repertoire of organ music. Apart from my versions of some Christmas Carols. I have been using my D-20 for a MIDI Controller, but can only use my iphone, as my IPad has USBC, and I don"t have a MIDI adapter to connect the D-20. Plus, no one makes a 5 pin DIN to USBC, just USB.