Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I feel like quitting

Lately i have been feeling like selling everything and saying Hell with it. I know I said I was making an effort, but who am I kidding. I"m not making an effort at all, and not really trying. I just quit and give up. I know a lot of you will say' Paul don"t give up!' Or You have mentioned this before, but I have to be honest with myself, I never really wanted to play or make music in the first place. I would rather spend time on my iPad or iPhone. I just don"t have the motivation too do it. I just don"t feel like it! Even when I was taking piano lessons. I didn"t really care at all, and still don"t. I"m just wasting my time and everyone else"s!

PEACE!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is about having fun. It hasn't always been fun for me either. I've been pulled in directions I didn't want to go and stressed out by the amount of work I've needed to do with some bands. I have a great full time job where I'm paid well and don't need to be out playing at all. I've certainly thought and dreamed about being a professional over the years but it most certainly has been better for me to keep it as a hobby. It's a hobby I now get to share with my wife which is totally awesome. Even so, I've been involved in playing essentially all of my life and in recent years it's gotten harder to remain motivated and inspired but since it's not a requirement I mostly do it at my leisure these days and don't spend a great deal of time at it.

Everybody is different.

I am incapable of not playing music.

I write songs in my head all the time.

If you don't want to do it, find something you do want to do and do that.

It doesn't matter what it is - George Washington Carver was avid about botanicals, I doubt he chose that. It chose him.

Others knit, draw, shoot pool, etc.

What has chosen you?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

If it ain't fun, don't do it unless you have to. Life is short.

I think gigging is the most fun I can have with my clothes on. I don't intend to ever retire.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

I"m not earning a living from it.

Most musicians aren't. I've made a significant amount of money from music over the years, but I don't even try any more. As I tweeted recently, "Happiness isn't about selling records. It's about making music."

I'm simply not "commercial." My music is somewhat cerebral; I don't do "I wanna rock all night and party every day!" My projects are quite different, I'm not even sure I have a "sound." I have no interest in touring to promote music which isn't really intended for a mass audience.

And you know what? IT'S EFFING AWESOME!!! I can play whatever I want, whenever I want. I've never had more fun making music, and I've never been happier with the music I'm making. No pressure.

I'd say lighten up and just play. Play anything! I'm at my best musically speaking when I don't think I should be making music. I just pick up an instrument, try not to think, and see what happens.

I"m not earning a living from it.

Most musicians aren't. I've made a significant amount of money from music over the years, but I don't even try any more. As I tweeted recently, "Happiness isn't about selling records. It's about making music."

I'm simply not "commercial." My music is somewhat cerebral; I don't do "I wanna rock all night and party every day!" My projects are quite different, I'm not even sure I have a "sound." I have no interest in touring to promote music which isn't really intended for a mass audience.

And you know what? IT'S EFFING AWESOME!!! I can play whatever I want, whenever I want. I've never had more fun making music, and I've never been happier with the music I'm making. No pressure.

I'd say lighten up and just play. Play anything! I'm at my best musically speaking when I don't think I should be making music. I just pick up an instrument, try not to think, and see what happens.

I know, it"s just trying not to think is the hard part.

I recommend checking what brand of cables you use first. You do not want to be accused of

Quit Proco.

:coffee:

Okay, that's it, that's TOO painful, man...is there any way we can unceremoniously remove Mark from this forum? ;):D

I don't play music for the money! I play it because it's FUN and fills a void and is creative and is utterly enjoyable and, yes, because it's FUN!

If you derive no pleasure out of playing, don't do it. Seriously. Do something that brings you joy!

I also don't make money from eating tacos al vapor, backpacking throughout West Africa or South America, hanging out with friends over drinks, swimming at the beach, going on a long hike in the wilderness, or reading a book. Why do we always have to think about monetizing things? Why do we give a crap about this at all?

I also don't make money from eating tacos al vapor, backpacking throughout West Africa or South America, hanging out with friends over drinks, swimming at the beach, going on a long hike in the wilderness, or reading a book. Why do we always have to think about monetizing things? Why do we give a crap about this at all?

This is exactly what I say at my workshops! Although I use bowling as an example. Sure, there are pro bowlers - but it's a really select group, and the odds of making money from it are minuscule. Most people do bowling because it's fun. Same with fishing.

For me gigging is fun, but I know it's not for everybody. I'm fortunate to be able to play music for a living. I've never lacked for gigs. Either I'm very lucky, very good, or I've fooled enough people into thinking I'm very good.

Some people hate playing for a living. It takes the fun out of it for them. Not for me, I love it. Different folks have different personalities.

I've had two "day jobs" in my life, Telephone Installer/Repairman (back when phones had wires) and Cable TV Field Engineer. Playing "Yakety Sax" beats climbing a utility pole or riding up in a bucket truck in the winter -- or actually any day.

I love both my audience and the love they send back to me. They are like extended family, they come up and hug us, and some who vacation here even have given us their addresses "up north" or in other countries telling us we are welcome to stay with them for vacation. We play, they dance and applaud us, they tell us about their families, we celebrate their joys and console their losses. We play shtick games and act silly on stage, get them involved singing along or singing nonsense syllables instead of the real words in the hook, it's like being the class clown in a way.

I'm in a duo with my wife now. When I met her she was in a different band. Both our bands broke up, and we got into a 5 piece together. Eventually we decided to go duo. Later we married. I write my own backing tracks, because it's a creative and learning exercise for me.

I don't record and sell recordings (although some local studios hire me on other people's recordings), I really like playing live. And while pop music tends to be a little simplistic (sometimes the simplicity is deceptive), it's about having fun with it.

I do record aftermarket MIDI styles for the auto-accompaniment app, Band-in-a-Box. When visiting music stores while on vacation, or meeting people in bands I've listened to, I've been asked a dozen times if I'm "The Real Bob 'Notes' Norton". My audience spans over 100 different countries in the BiaB market. To tell the truth, that won't make me rich, but it sure feels good. I think Craig can relate to that good feeling. It's like applause which tells me I'm doing good work.

I started making BiaB styles for myself, gave them to my friends who told me I should be selling them. I took an ad out in Electronics Musician (when Craig was editor) and now 27 years later, I'm still selling them. I write in the summer during the slow season in Florida

I can play 'art music' at home and I definitely listen to art music (mostly great symphonies) when i want that. I also listen to simple music when I'm in that mood.

Being in the phone company or working for the Cable TV Electronics Manufacturer wasn't fun. I could have made a lot more money at it but I really wasn't enjoying life. I found normal to be soooooo overrated ;)

OK what is all this crap about me building up to?

Life is short, too short. Don't do it if you don't like it unless you have to do it. Seek every opportunity to enjoy yourself. Follow your bliss. There is no one right way for everyone.

You might try just taking a vacation from music. Give it a rest for a few months and see if you miss it. Whether you think you missed it or not, pick it up again and see if it's fun. It's worth a second chance.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

And at the same time. I have a fascination with synthesizers .

Follow your fascinations, interests, and whatever, no matter how normal or strange or whatever. Do what really interests you. Seriously. Life's too short to do anything other than that.

You have no idea how LUCKY and PRIVILEGED we are to actually have time to ponder these things and have free time to do it. Most people in the world cannot. Don't squander that. Seize the opportunity. You want to play with synthesizers, do flower arranging, collect pocket lint, travel to all the countries that start with "I", take up knitting, or take up night photography, do it.

But do it because you want to, not because you think it will make money.

This is exactly what I say at my workshops! Although I use bowling as an example. Sure, there are pro bowlers - but it's a really select group, and the odds of making money from it are minuscule. Most people do bowling because it's fun. Same with fishing.

That's it!

And you're right, the odds of making money from pro bowling is rather slim.

I actually make money from creating bizarre music and night photography, a rather nice form of photography if there ever was one. But that's sure as hell not why I do it. I began making money at it because I became good at it and very small but devoted audiences love this sort of thing. I don't make very much money, but again, who cares? I do it because I love it.

If I wanted to monetize it, it would take some of the fun out of it because I'd probably want to make "normal" music that sells well, such as hip-hop or seriously Auto-Tuned pop, and for photography, I'd need to do wedding photography and portraits or take photos of wild horses galloping or flowers in a meadow. I don't want to do that.

I want to do stuff I love to do. That's it. That simple.

I've never lacked for gigs. Either I'm very lucky, very good, or I've fooled enough people into thinking I'm very good.

My theory is that you love what you're doing, and because that's contagious, it makes people happy. People like to be happy, so they come to your gigs. Simple!

Whenever bands ask for advice about what to do for a stage act, I always say "have fun and enjoy yourself." Because if you are, the audience will follow along. :)

Hey, some people don't want me here either. I won't give specific names...even though I ken.

That's right. Those puns are too hard for me to take!! :D