Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rumble; Indians who rocked the world

I just saw Rumble; Indians who rocked the world on PBS. What a fantastic show, who knew all those rockers from back in the day were native Americans. Link Wray, Robbie Robertson from the Band, Jessey Ed Davis. I enjoy very little on TV, but I sure enjoyed that show. If you ever get a chance to watch that show I advise it.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My band was asked to open for a special showing of Rumble in a local movie theater, our singer is Blackfeet tribe from Montana.

We all stayed and watched the movie. Fascinating document. i've researched the special blend of influences that is American music pretty extensively, both by listening and by readiing information but Rumble shows that much was left out in my research.

In my mind, the two most important segments covered Charley Patton, who proceeded Robert Johnson as a recorded blues artist and was hugely influential to a young Mr. Johnson, and the piece on Mildred Bailey, who influenced Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra and therefore uncountable numbers of musicians who followed.

The piece about a straight 4 drum beat was great too.

Rumble is simply a must see movie for any musician.

As further food for thought I saw Bill Evans when he toured "The Banjo In America" and he had an interesting thesis as well as an incredible presentation. He postulated that the banjo was the "conduit" instrument between the music of Africa and the music of Europe simple because anybody could make a banjo. There is considerable credibility to his idea and he certainly was an amazing player.

I love this stuff!!!! And I love where it has taken us now.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I was glad they included Jesse Ed Davis.

I saw the Taj Mahal band open for It's A Beautiful Day many years ago.

I remember thinking then that I was hearing something special when Jesse played.

He just sounded great, all the way through the show. The album Giant Step went into rotation on our humble turntables, it still holds up well in any context.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I've seen Rumble, I believe on Amazon Prime. Loved it. I was aware of the heritage of Link Wray, Jesse Ed Davis, Robbie Robertson. and Redbone. But I did learn quite a bit I didn't know regarding the connection between Native Americans and rock music.

It seems to me that rock is rather like Hinduism, or perhaps The Borg, in the way it absorbs and incorporates,the influences of everything it comes in contact with. Anathema to purists, or course, but enchanting to people who find music fascinating in.and of itself.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I would love to see someone fuse traditional North American First Nations music with modern rock. Sepultura did a good job for South American tribal music and metal with their album, Roots.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/