Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PX-S3000, Komplete Kontrol 61MK2, Mac Mini: Happiness

After my constant delay, I finally got out the new Mac Mini, and have been setting it up for my Mainstage or Gig Performer Rig.

First thing I did was open up the Mac and install the 32gb Ram kit from crucial. $150 compared to the $600 Apple gets to install it.

I got the basically spec'd one. I got the 3.0GHz, i5 6-core with 8gb memory. 256GB SSD

A local place runs a sale on random brand new Apple computers twice a year. This time they had the $1,099 Mini for $879. Add the $150 for the 32gb ram kit, and I still came out ahead.

Apple says you shouldn't do the memory swap yourself, which is understandable. Getting into the guts can be trick if you've never worked on a computer before; especialy with one with such little room.

It takes Torx Safety T6 to open the case, Torx T6 to remove the fan, then Torx T8 to remove the entire mother board and slide it out. You have to slide it out so you can remove the cage they place over the memory to prevent interference.

Then it a Torx T5 to remove those tiny screws. Before you slide the mobo out of the case, there are three connectors you have to rewove with a spudger so as not to break them.

Here it is out of it's case, waiting for me to remove that cheese-grater cage and swap the memory. That parts the easiest. Then you just put it all back together, say a couple hail Jobs, and turn it on..

EiBFCP.jpg

Fast forward to the initial setup. First thing I did was go in and remove any removable programs. The Mini will ONLY be used for music. Turned of automatic updates, turned off checking for updates, etc...

I then downloaded Mainstage, and brought over my concerts that I backup in my WD MyCloud at home.

The I downloaded Gig Performer. I also installed the Snoize Midi Monitor.

It was then time to get some of my third party stuff installed. Arturia and PianoTeq were the first. I also downloaded the Komplete Kontrol software so I can edit my synths easily (Arturia is full NKI)

First test, and everything is great! I use USB-B to USB-C for the boards, and USB C-C for the audio interface.

I am currently working on the velocity curves in PianoTeq for the PX-S3000

The below is how I have it setup for editing, etc...

h5K7KC.jpg

My Sonnet 1U RackMack mac Mini mounting panel will be here tomorrow. At that point the Mac goes in the rack. The Sonnet is designed for two Minis.

In my setup, the Mini will occupy one side, and my nice Samsung EVO860 1TB SSD, the other. Its the second drive I installed on my 2012 MacBook Pro in the SuperDrive bay.

All my samples for the instruments live there. The programs themselves live on the main SSD

I did get a nice mini wireless keyboard with a built in trackpad. Perfect for setup, and for use at a gig should I need.

TMYupX.jpg

I have a small 10.1" HDMI monitor that will sit flat on the rack case. I don't look at my Macbook during a gig....

Well, back to the dungeon. Work to be done

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good. Are you starting with a specific velocity curve setting in the PX-S3000 that gives you the most dynamic range at the midi output?

Or does the Casio seem to do dynamic curves only for the internal sound engine, and the setting doesn't affect the MIDI out messages?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Very cool, thanks for the step by step to accomplish your setup. Will be curious to see it the minis mounted in your coming rack, didn't know the mini had the form factor for a 1U rack.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Very cool, thanks for the step by step to accomplish your setup. Will be curious to see it the minis mounted in your coming rack, didn't know the mini had the form factor for a 1U rack.

2PfGKT.jpg

Since I have just one Mac Mini, I will place mine on the right, and my 2nd SSD on the left in this rack enclosure.

David

I love reading threads like this. Thanks for the step by step.
+1

David is an incredible asset to our community, and we are fortunate to have him here.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Wow! Thank you guys so much. That is a very nice thing to read, especially after the last couple weeks I've been having.

I've said it before, I've learned so much from this place from all of you with regards to music and technique, that I like to pay it back, so to speak, by showing my projects.

I do so in hopes of inspiring or showing other that with a little ingenuity you can create things from your ideas to make them the way YOU want them to be.

That is also why I show my mistakes; like the paint projects where I used wrong paint and had to start again. Things like that. The main thing is wanting to show that you don't have to be afraid to try.

Anyway, back to topic at hand. All my toys got here: The RackMac enclosure, a new Gator 3U rack, and the new 3rd Gen Focusrite 18i20 (that takes what I like about my 2nd gen, and makes it better for my hybrid rig. Perfect for hardware only, Computer based only, or combination gigs.

First thing I did was open up the Sonnet RackMac Mini. it is solid.

Here it is with the lid off.

0rp4pc.jpg

Next up, a test fit of the Mini. Perfect!

YbpinV.jpg

My next mission is to open up the 2012 MBP and remove the VST containing SSD from it's SuperDrive mount.

Be sure to use your plastic spudger to gently disconnect the cables.

JVVTiE.jpg

aaannnddd...... no more SSD in the SuperDrive bay. Alas poor 2012, I hardly knew ye :)

m33T2k.jpg

But wait! Button it back up and it still works, and no left over screws.

vuWsRM.jpg

New Sata III SSD Enclosure ready for the SSD

Ef3egS.jpg

SSD Mounted in RackMac I used my standby industrial strength Velcro that I've used in numerous projects It's not going to move, and it adds a little padding.

It's a USB C enclosure. Eventually I will be getting a true Thunderbolt 3 SSD drive to mount over there.

FvdEev.jpg

Alright. Let's close up this bad boy.

bNkt43.jpg

rlW5mE.jpg

The two USB -A connectors are nice to have up front. I am using one for the wireless keyboard/trackpad receiver. I can use the other for my Vortex Wireless 2 receiver. Or anything else. Heck, I can charge my phone :)

NBvJt5.jpg

Well, all, it 3am where I am. Ugh. Time flies when you're having fun, and this is fun and relaxing for me.

Tomorrow (later today)we'll get the new Gator Rack out, get the Focusrite mounted, and place the Rackmac.

Later!

David

One step closer.

GoT the RackMac and the Focusrite mounted. I just need to finish putting together my i/o panel, and set the permanent cable routing inside.

uIUv0O.jpg

I'll be installing shorter cableS between the units inside. I will also have a vented and hinged panel on the back like my old, bigger rack.

mJVUz4.jpg

The new i/o panel will have the following connectors:

• HDMI
  • RJ45
  • 1/4" TRS X4

David

Once again David you have me thinking about further upgrading my rig - brilliant stuff!

Thank you!

I just got a new iPad, and have been playing with Apple Sidecar.

Sidecar comes with MacOS Catalina, and iOS13

You can use it to make your iPad a second, extended, or mirrored screen. Natively. It works wirelessly or wired. No more having to fumble with DUET, or an extra dongle like LUNA Display.

For true functionality you need an Apple Pencil to be able to grab things like faders. Just using your fingers doesn't work, due to the new MacOS and the way the icons/graphics work. Still, haveing a "touchscreen Mac" is cool.

More as I continue my journey down this path.

Oh yeah, based on Sweetwater's Mac Catalina page, and my testing, all my stuff works in Catalina. Mainstage, Gig Performer, Kontakt, Arturia, Focusrite. iKMultimedia just updated a number of things: the Autorization manager works, as does my T-racks 5 Custom shop. Of course, YMMV. I tested all this on my older Macbook Pro before upgrading my Mini

David

Using my new iPad7 to set up GigPerformer on the Mac Mini.

Awesome to be able to draw all the connections with the stylus.

Especially sitting in my easy chair while the rack is on the other side of the room

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/4366/nCsuhy.jpg

David

Interested in Sidecar with an iPad.

Do you know if you can use the iPad as the only screen? (I get this isn't its primary purpose).

I am thinking of an upgrade for my Mid 2014 13" Macbook Pro and considering either the new 16" Macbook Pro or a Mac mini. The Mac mini is about half the cost for not much less in terms of performance. For gigging though i would need a screen just in case (I don't look at the screen whilst playing). The iPad as an option to quickly see whats going on to fix a problem would be an ideal solution.

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage | Key Largo

Steve,

I need to do some more explaining. While SideCar is a neat new feature, they (Apple) are still working out the kinks.

I used to use Duet Display a long time ago, and decided to give it a try in this setup. I have come to find out that DUET fully supports MacOS Catalina, and Catalina and Duet Display lets you use it as your only monitor. You can even boot up with it.

All you need to do is setup a launch item on the Mini so that once the Mini boots up, it opens Duet Display. Then go to your iPad , launch Duet Display, and there's your Mac Mini Desktop ready to play. You do need to turn off your MacMini log in password. Since mine lives in the rack and is only used for music, this is no big deal. Heck, unless you know what you're looking at you won't know there's a Mac Mini hiding in there.

While the wifi works fine, at gigs, and when playing, I used a wired connection USB-C to Lightning.

David

What latency do you measure for piano?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Steve,

I need to do some more explaining. While SideCar is a neat new feature, they (Apple) are still working out the kinks.

I used to use Duet Display a long time ago, and decided to give it a try in this setup. I have come to find out that DUET fully supports MacOS Catalina, and Catalina and Duet Display lets you use it as your only monitor. You can even boot up with it.

All you need to do is setup a launch item on the Mini so that once the Mini boots up, it opens Duet Display. Then go to your iPad , launch Duet Display, and there's your Mac Mini Desktop ready to play. You do need to turn off your MacMini log in password. Since mine lives in the rack and is only used for music, this is no big deal. Heck, unless you know what you're looking at you won't know there's a Mac Mini hiding in there.

While the wifi works fine, at gigs, and when playing, I used a wired connection USB-C to Lightning.

Thanks Dave, great advice.

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage | Key Largo

David,and this may be a bit OT?? How close can you get the KK to the S3000 on a double stand? And still be able to access controls on the PX.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things