Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iPad Piano App Vs. Hardware Module?

I'm currently using a V3 Grand Piano module for my solo piano gigs, love it. I recently purchased an iPad Pro 12.9 for reading sheet music for said gigs and I'm really digging that as well. Now I'm considering getting some piano apps and running those live. however I've always avoided using software live due to latency among other concerns. Is there an app out there for iPads that can compete with the 3 GB grand piano in my V3? I've read that Ravenscroft and the Ivory app which is part of the Korg Module are supposed to be among the best. I know the apps are pretty cheap but I would also have to purchase a MIDI interface as well. Worth it? Convince me.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting that you "avoid software" and yet your "hardware" module is simply a dedicated computer running a 3 gb piece of software. :-P

You will want to shut off EVERYTHING else on your iPad for fastest performance.

What are you using to trigger the samples in your hardware/software module? Maybe it can interface with your iPad?

There are all sorts of adapters out there. Cheers, Kuru.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I find it interesting that you "avoid software" and yet your "hardware" module is simply a dedicated computer running a 3 gb piece of software. :-P

What are you using to trigger the samples in your hardware/software module? Maybe it can interface with your iPad?

Kurzweil KA90, just a MIDI Out.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I've read that Ravenscroft and the Ivory app which is part of the Korg Module are supposed to be among the best.

I've tried a bunch, I happen to like Ravenscroft and, of all things, Sampletank. But I haven't tried gigging with either, yet. I also haven't heard V3 so can't compare.

For all intents and purposes, I think simply putting the iPad in airplane mode ought to do it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Kurzweil KA90, just a MIDI Out.

This looks good, Yamaha makes good kit. $80

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/yamaha-usb-midi-interface-cable-for-iphone-ipad

You could use your Kurzweil but it is 27 pounds and 88 keys so I get it but you'll still need a weighted board and lots of keys, no?

If everything is working well then maybe you are fine where you are now.

What are you hoping to accomplish/improve?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I don't know if I'd rely on a iPad for that much processing in real time. If me I'd just buy a small laptop for the keys sides and your iPad as you're using it now for sheet music. I'm sure iPad fanboys are going to claim iPads are more powerful that laptop, the CPU spec's might look impressive, but the iPad as whole isn't. I would use the iPad and a laptop and have software on both to act as your backup is one fails.

I've read that Ravenscroft and the Ivory app which is part of the Korg Module are supposed to be among the best.

I've tried a bunch, I happen to like Ravenscroft and, of all things, Sampletank. But I haven't tried gigging with either, yet. I also haven't heard V3 so can't compare.

For all intents and purposes, I think simply putting the iPad in airplane mode ought to do it.

A touch safer would be to put it in Airplane Mode and also turn on Do No Disturb.

I've tried ravenscroft and korg module with ivory at two rehearsals now both with iphone 11 and a simple ipad 2018 with korgs plugkey.

Korg module and ivory suited the context best for me, which was musical and pop music for a big christmas show. I'm really happy with korg module, I use some pads and soul organ for a couple of tunes. For the rehearsals I used a yamaha CP120 as master keyboard and run everything mono through a monitor. For the show I get a nord stage 2, question is wether I quickly program some sounds at the venue or use my ipad. I for sure bring my ipad and iphone as backup.

Airplane mode and do not disturb is highly recommended, getting a call mid rehearsal is fun the first time.....

Airplane mode and do not disturb is highly recommended, getting a call mid rehearsal is fun the first time.....

Been there, done that. Not fun....

Noop, not fun!

Forgot to say, I also use the Scarbee rhodes in module - its amazingly good, although I do prefer the desktop version with more layers etc!

F

I tried to make an iPad gigging rig work for awhile, both for my more complicated band setup (lots of different synth, Mellotron, and pitched percussion patches for different songs) and for my singer/songwriter piano-only gigs. Ultimately I wound up going with a laptop and Mainstage; it was just easier to do the different routings and patch changes, at least for the way I work.

For piano specifically, the thing that really made me abandon the iPad wasn't the quality of any of the available sounds themselves, it was the lack of those extra nuances on the iOS sound sources I found. It's a little thing, but the iOS version of Ravenscroft doesn't do progressive sustain, whereas in Pianoteq on the Macbook I can crank up all the damper noise across the throw of the Yamaha FC3-A, and it just gives me a little extra bit of the satisfaction of playing a real piano. I understand not everyone likes a messy piano sound like me, though, especially if you're playing in a loud band where you don't really hear that stuff.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I tried to make an iPad gigging rig work for awhile, both for my more complicated band setup (lots of different synth, Mellotron, and pitched percussion patches for different songs) and for my singer/songwriter piano-only gigs. Ultimately I wound up going with a laptop and Mainstage; it was just easier to do the different routings and patch changes, at least for the way I work.

For piano specifically, the thing that really made me abandon the iPad wasn't the quality of any of the available sounds themselves, it was the lack of those extra nuances on the iOS sound sources I found. It's a little thing, but the iOS version of Ravenscroft doesn't do progressive sustain, whereas in Pianoteq on the Macbook I can crank up all the damper noise across the throw of the Yamaha FC3-A, and it just gives me a little extra bit of the satisfaction of playing a real piano. I understand not everyone likes a messy piano sound like me, though, especially if you're playing in a loud band where you don't really hear that stuff.

If I weren"t so interested in assembling iOS instruments into a sort-of customized portable workstation, I"d be very tempted to get a V3 and be done with it. The piano sounds amazing, it"s small, looks easy to set up, and has all the nuances I"d want for a solo piano gig without the expense of ie a Dexibell. If, however, I were looking for a variety of instrument sounds and had to use sheets or charts, I"d stay the iPad route. Ravenscroft is noticeably better than Module"s Ivory, Neo-Soul (esp v2) is more versatile and vintage than Module"s Scarbee although Module has a nice sounding Wurlitzer add-on. I notice zero latency using stand-alone apps but string them together in a host (AUM etc) and it"s pretty much the same as Module. Ease of practical use would put Module as the best all-in-one solution. I guess it depends how far one wants to take this.

Clear as mud, right? :laugh:

Here for the gear.

Obviously I'm asking a bunch of guys that only play in bands on here. I'm a "solo artist" and just want to know if the iPad apps can be as good as the V3 module (which IMO is better than most ROMpler boards out there)? From what I've read so far I'm thinking probably not. . .

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I'm a "solo artist" and just want to know if the iPad apps can be as good as the V3 module (which IMO is better than most ROMpler boards out there)? From what I've read so far I'm thinking probably not. . .

Right you are.

Here for the gear.

Dexibell VIVO SX7 Sound Module is definitely worth consideration as dedicated hardware for its acoustic pianos. Not so sure about its electric and other sounds. Although it can load SF2 libraries.

But it's price is seriously prohibitive because you can get a serious laptop or build a PC for it's money and run any of the amazing software pianos created for Windows and MacOS.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2902795/1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I have an iPad Air (not Pro) running a bunch of goodies like Ravenscroft, Neo Soul Keys Studio (the new one now), Syntronik and various iOS synths and a bunch of drum machines, Patterning, all of the Luis Martinez apps for drums.

My use is pretty straightforward for piano and EPs. I use it as a sound source when I am only taking out my dual manual Viscount Legend Live. It is usually a blues/jazz/funk hangout where I am primarily playing organ and want a dual manual clone with full draw bars. But since the Legend doesn"t have any 'extra sounds' like an SK or a Gemini, I just go iPad and a Korg Plug Key.

It"s not replacing anything else or going to be an Integra or Gemini but it"s a pretty versatile platform for all that you can use it for on the gig and sounds fine for its purpose.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

At least on paper, the best piano for iPad might be Colossus, But it's so resource heavy, I'm not sure it's practical unless the iPad is not going to be used to play anything but the one piano sound. Maybe someone else has some more experience there...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I"ve tried all of the iOS acoustic pianos (Colossus [light brown Vintage Upright and the white Upright] and Ravenscroft are my faves on that platform) but really prefer hardware sounds in the MODX. However I do use iPad (5) with Korg ODYSSEi via keytar on a couple of Cars and Gary Numan tunes. Also the Growl Sax in Korg iM1 sees some action on Tender Years...a perfect cheese-factor match-up. Really anxious to try out the new Neo-Soul Studio 2 EP"s. VFW this weekend will be my testing ground.

I have Ravenscroft on my iPad. For me, in a solo piano context, it"s good but not gig worthy. The AP in my CP4 and Keyscape C7 on the MacBook Pro are much better and both are gig worthy for solo piano. I can"t make a comparison to the module you have because I haven"t played it. To some extent comparisons are going to depend on the amplification used. I think the better the amplification the more differentiation will be heard and visa-versa.

I have Ravenscroft on my iPad. For me, in a solo piano context, it"s good but not gig worthy. The AP in my CP4 and Keyscape C7 on the MacBook Pro are much better and both are gig worthy for solo piano. I can"t make a comparison to the module you have because I haven"t played it. To some extent comparisons are going to depend on the amplification used. I think the better the amplification the more differentiation will be heard and visa-versa.

This is pretty much what I needed to know. I've tried the CP4 and while the piano sounds are decent, they're not as good as my V3 module. Not a big deal as the V3 only weighs about 8 ounces and takes up little space so I'll just keep running that and forget the piano apps for the iPad.

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

I have Korg Module with Ivory piano and Scarbee Rhodes on an iPad. They sound great but I simply cannot get by with the lag time.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• 6 months later...

I have to say this V3 looks impressive.

https://www.v3sound.com/en/e-product-grand-piano-xxl.html

It's expensive....a bit, but to have the sounds at high quality, dawless (needs sequencer), reliable.....

Multi-timbral, I don't see that it does GM, but it seems to have all the channels.

With this power and space, an onboard midi sequencer would be nice. They don't take up huge memory. Then you really would be "dawless" and need just this thing and a board. Ok pedals. But that would be nice.

Working with 2003 Akai MPC1000, which has unbelievable 64 track sequencer largely designed by Linn, and updated by JJ, and small screen, though it's big compared to Keystep, which also shows how much function can come from no screen. Crave has a reasonable sequencer also, and most obvious option is to sequence from IOS or another........friggin DAW on a fragile often quirky device which also needs MIDI connectivity.

All in one V3 and good sequencer (step edit, quantize adjustable, multi-channel and track), and well.....a decent VA with the classical parameters, you don't need huge memory either.

You could attach it to all sorts of nice things. Ah to dream...just one brick and some keys, reliable, limited wires and fiddling.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

I have Korg Module with Ivory piano and Scarbee Rhodes on an iPad. They sound great but I simply cannot get by with the lag time.

Do those apps have buffer settings, and how old is the iPad? iOS' Settings > "Module" > "Audio Latency' One of the previous models? I"d imagine the latest iPad Pros can preform with pretty low buffer. Also are you using internal sound card or a USB audio interface?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I too notice more latency with Korg Module than with most others. Module"s 'Advance Settings' oddly links to iOS home settings under apps to adjust latency among other things. 64 (faster) still has noticeable lag to me.

That's interesting. I'm an iPad neophyte when it comes to music apps but grabbed the free Korg Module with their basic acoustic piano. My experience is detailed in the post linked below. I was actually quite impressed that my older iPad Air 2 did fine at a 64 samples buffer setting (no audio dropouts or fuzz), although I think I felt some differences in latency depending on how I was accessing the piano (Bluetooth, Midi Network, or Inter-device Audio & Midi). Have you tried all these ways? I'm used to a 128-sample setting on my Mac and thought the iPad with the Korg piano was acceptable in terms of latency; I could get through a gig with it.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3035184/re-trying-a-new-virtual-piano-warning-jazz#Post3035184