Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Top 5 Solos (Songs with Vocals)

I'm feeling listy again so I want to hear ya'lls faves. Only criteria here is that it's not instrumental songs, but rather guitar leads in songs that share the stage with a vocalist.

1) Stone in Love - Neal Schon, Journey. Especially that outro solo. It's as heartfelt and soaring as the vocal parts.

2) Comfortable Numb - David Gilmour, Pink Floyd. All the feels.

3) In My Dreams - George Lynch,m Dokken. This is what I grew up on and this track was one of the first I learned all the way through.

4) Voodoo Chile - Stevie Ray Vaughan's version. Given the type of song it is, it's like 50% solo but it's all just brilliant.

5) Shapes of Things - Gary Moore's version. Another deep 80s cut. His lead work on this is sick.

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine are;

Crossroads by the band Cream from Wheels Of Fire

(#1 by far in my humble opinion)

5 String Blues Roy Buchanan The Version on his Second album

(And #2 in my humble opinion) (The vocal comes in real late in the song, but it is there after the piano solo which is one killer bit of keys work)

Almost anything by David Gilmore during his Pink Floyd days.

1) Are You Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix

2) Baby's On Fire - Brian Eno (Robert Fripp on Guitar)

3) The Supernatural Anesthetist - Genesis

4) Taxman - The Beatles

5) Sweetness & Light - Lush

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

There's too many great songs over too many decades to narrow it all down to 5. So here's my "Top 5" at the moment of recently listened to tunes...

Marillion: "Easter" It's my understanding that Steve Rothery cut that lead in one take.

3rDegree: "You're Fooling Yourself"

Joe Bonamassa: "I've Got Some Mind Over What Matters"

IZZ: "The Message"

Transatlantic : "Dancing With Eternal Glory"

Marky - great call on the Gary Moore version of "Shapes of Things'! I've loved that one for decades. Pays homage to the original, and takes it to another level.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Only five? Tough call, but, in no order of preference:

Steely Dan: "Rikki Don't Lose That Number"

Led Zeppelin: uh, Jeez, anything from the 1st album, but let's just say "You Shook Me"

Beatles: Side two medley of "Abbey Road"

Pink Floyd: Comfortably Numb has already been mentioned, which gets my vote as most iconic solos of all time, so I'll offer up the intro to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"

Jimi Hendrix: "Red House"

Somebody please mention "Sultans of Swing", because I'm already at my limit of five.

Scott Fraser

Somebody please mention "Sultans of Swing", because I'm already at my limit of five.

4th post from the top, 4th on the list.

There are solos by Jeff Beck - jamming with BB King on By Request that are certainly worth a mention. YouTube them!

I saw BB King on tour and Jeff Beck opened. I'm told Jeff came out on the regular and jammed with BB. Not in Fresno, outdoor show in 112 degree weather and oddly, humid.

Probably just hid in his air conditioned green room trailer, waiting to be elsewhere!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I have no idea but none of the things that first comes to mind got mentioned. ð

Stuff like : Kid Charlemagne , Peg, Maniac, Talk to you Later, Baker Street, ect ...... Black Cat by Janet Jackson was a lot of fun. I really liked playing the Tubes tune but may be too much wankery.

But my origins are that of a disciple of James Burton, Jerry Reed, Pete Anderson and Brent Mason but I figure I"m probably the only Country guy here so I stay from the Country.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Well crap! My favorite solo as a kid and I still love his playing is Valleri by the Monkees.

Louie Shelton is a genius. He did a lot of great stuff. I like his work on all he Boz Scaggs records. Love Mr 335 also but my favorite Larry Carlton stuff besides his Steely Dan tunes is his instrumental work.

But my origins are that of a disciple of James Burton, Jerry Reed, Pete Anderson and Brent Mason but I figure I"m probably the only Country guy here.

I just doubled your numbers right here! I LOVE country and play a fair chunk of it every week - Charlie Daniels, Waylon Jennings, Conway Twitty, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash and Wille Nelson just for starters.

So here is my new list.

El Paso - Marty Robbins (Grady Martin on guitar)

Ain't Livin' Long Like This - Emmylou Harris (Albert Lee on guitar)

Linda Ronstadt - When Will I Be Loved - I think it's Andrew Gold on multi tracked guitars

Willie Nelson - Blue Eyes Cryin' In The Rain (Willie Nelson on guitar)

Merle Haggard - Lonesome Fugitive - I was not able to find the credits for the original recording. We used to think (try to think, this was Fresno!!!) it was Eldon Shamblin or Roy Nichols. James Burton and Glen Campbell played on live versions.

You could do a five song list of just Glen Campbell solos without breakin' a sweat, dude was off the hook.

And I left out Vince Gill!

Country players use clean tones, much harder to fake your speed without a a distorted shred tone.

Cheers, Kuru

But my origins are that of a disciple of James Burton, Jerry Reed, Pete Anderson and Brent Mason but I figure I"m probably the only Country guy here.

I just doubled your numbers right here! I LOVE country and play a fair chunk of it every week - Charlie Daniels, Waylon Jennings, Conway Twitty, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash and Wille Nelson just for starters.

+3 I played in an outlaw country rock band playing tunes by all those country icons and many more for about 3 years from about 79 to 83. I still play tunes by many of them to include Hank and Hank Jr., Marty, etc...Love Charlie Daniels, Asleep at the Wheel, and the list is endless. Can't stand new country or hip hop country though. :2thu:

Take care, Larryz

Speaking of Glen Campbell.... Guess who got hired to play guitar on Glen Campbell album sessions?

Louie Shelton.

I am going to continue to "cheat" and make another list. I keep remembering great solos in records I love.

Old Man Down the Road - John Fogerty

King Harvest Has Surely Come - The Band from the album The Band - Robbie Robertson on guitar

Little Wing - Tuck and Patti

Congo Square - Sonny Landreth

Rock Me Baby - BB King with Jeff Beck