Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

UAD & my impatience

This looks like the better forum for this question.

I"ve been waiting & waiting on the rumored 16' MBP, & intend to pair it with a new UAD Apollo x6.

I"ve got a 20% off coupon at GC (plus the accelerator rebate) which expires in 4days.

Do any of you who know so much more than I see any reason not to grab the Apollo now?

With my luck, the 16' MBP will come out with something other than Thunderbolt!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the new standard Macbook Pro (and Macbook Air) does have Thunderbolt 3/USB type C connections: Macbook Pro article So does the new iMac Pro and Mac Mini.: Apple Thunderbolt article

That does not necessarily mean that the 16" variant will do so, but it would seem likely. Obviously, they might come up with something totally new, but I'm not aware of other existing connections that seem as capable as the Thunderbolt 3/USB C connection.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

The new MBP will be USB-C for sure. They're all in on that format, and likely will be for a while... remember how Apple tends to work in these circumstances.

For folks who have been using Apple gear for less than 30 years, the pattern hasn't changed much. Apple looks at forthcoming and developing standards, chooses one that they think will be future-proof (inasmuch as anything is in the computer world), and they throw themselves into it. Such standards usually last for many years before they're superseded.

This behavior is one of many ways that Apple haters love to pick on the company for, even when they benefit from it in the long run. For every completely proprietary standard Apple develops (like Lightning), there are others that go into the wider world and that people take for granted after a while, often not realizing that Apple either invented it or promulgated it to the point of wide acceptance. Just a few examples: the 3.5" floppy disk in its dustproof shell, SCSI as a common method for hard drive connection on small computers, FireWire as an early "smart" networking system, Thunderbolt... even Wi-Fi.

and oh yeah, on the subject of music... y'all may have heard of this one totally obscure bit of tech that Apple pushed against industry skepticism... USB. Anyone want to go back to connecting music gear via serial or parallel ports?

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I hope you pulled the trigger on your purchase, Steve. UA gear holds its value for a good long time, and I can't imagine you'd regret the purchase.

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I hope you pulled the trigger on your purchase, Steve. UA gear holds its value for a good long time, and I can't imagine you'd regret the purchase.

Thx for all the advice.

Yes, I bought the Apollo x6 which comes with an additional Satellite Octo for free! Plus 20% off. Now I just have to make up my mind on waiting fro the 16" or just buying a 2019 15". My 2010 MBP is tired!

I now leaning towards this.

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro-May 2019, 2.3GHz 8-core Intel Core i9 with Retina display - 32Gig, 2TB SSD

$3,229.00

That's around $800 savings over brand new 2019, and that old gag of waiting for "The Next Big Thing" often doesn't turn out to be worth the trouble.

This and the Apollo should rock for the kind of work I do for a long time.

Figures - You post yesterday (I assume that you bought the May 2019), and they announce the 16" MBP today. Also announce that the 16" completely replaces the 15".

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I hope Steve waited a day. I haven't seen him post in either thread yet.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Good for you! The new 16" is designed to fix many of the issues the 2019 models had. It has a real scissor switch keyboard and a real Escape key, way more storage, and much better cooling. Apple is finally clawing its way out of the Jony Ive insistence on "thin and light" even when it means sacrificing functionality and reliability.

mike

I've been migrating data and it wont let me write to the HD??? Says I don't have the right permissions. I'm baffled. Everything I try to copy to the HD copies to the desktop instead. When I use "get info" on the HD and click the lock, nothing I do changes the read only status. Anyone know what I'm missing?

But the Desktop is just a folder in your User (~) folder.

It used to be that I'd tell someone in your situation to open Disk Utility and Repair Permissions, but that's not there anymore. I don't know if Disk First Aid just does that or because the disk format is changed it's no longer necessary.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Don't store your stuff at the top level of the Hard Drive. Your applications go in the folder of that name, and anything that needs to be accessible to all accounts on the machine goes in the "Shared" folder in /Users.

Everything else in your home folder.

The structure you see on the hard drive is not what is actually going on in Catalina: There's a read-only system drive, and a writeable Data partition that includes the Users folder and a user Applications folder, which the system meshes with the system Applications folder and displays as a single folder in the Finder.

It's complex, and I don't pretend to understand exactly what's going on at this point.

https://eclecticlight.co/2019/10/08/macos-catalina-boot-volume-layout/

(via Gruber)

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

On the other hand, I paid a lot of money for this computer. I own it. It"s got a lot of nerve telling me I don"t have permission to write to my own hard drive! :laugh:

On the other hand, I paid a lot of money for this computer. I own it. It"s got a lot of nerve telling me I don"t have permission to write to my own hard drive! :laugh:

Enable the root account, log in, and write anything you want anywhere you want.

You'll fuck up the system and break everything, but you're free to do so, of course.

:D

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

There actually is very good reason in any version of Unix (which Mac OS is) to NOT let the user (even an administrative user) write files directly to the root of the drive. Not just Mac OS, but any serious Unix variant only allows root user to write there (and then it is really easy to make an irrecoverable mess of things). Apple deliberately masks the root user - it is possible to get around that and change the password for root, but there are good reasons not to do so.

Some parts of the file system are designed for administrative users to be able to modify, and other parts really should only be changed by installs, updates, and internal OS usage.

Another difference from Windows is that the individual admin user does not have access to files in a different user account. Apple provides a "shared" file system area just to allow shared usage.

For the most part, the user should only be making changes in: their "home" folder (which really lives in /Users/username), the /Applications folder and sub-folders, the Shared area, and a few other areas that are readily accessible.

OS High Sierra, Mojave, and the new Catalina are hosted on Apple's newer file system, called APFS. It handles lots of internal things differently from the older Mac format.

Also, for a long time, they have a couple of partitions - the normal operating partition, and a bootable but normally inaccessible partition that hosts enough of the MacOS to allow running TimeMachine restores, certain parts of the Disk Utility tool, and connecting to a broadband Internet (either wireless or wired) in order to restore the whole operating system if something there gets corrupted.

Jim

a bootable but normally inaccessible partition that hosts enough of the MacOS to allow [â¦] connecting to a broadband Internet (either wireless or wired) in order to restore the whole operating system if something there gets corrupted.

I'm pretty sure that Netboot is part of the firmware, not a partition, since it allows installation of an OS onto the bare metal of an unformatted disk.

Slowly getting some things to work. Others not at all. Don't understand why DP10 sees some of my UVI instruments but not all??

I'm not looking forward to redirecting all of my Kontact library pointers either :o

Don't store your stuff at the top level of the Hard Drive. Your applications go in the folder of that name, and anything that needs to be accessible to all accounts on the machine goes in the "Shared" folder in /Users.

Everything else in your home folder.

The structure you see on the hard drive is not what is actually going on in Catalina: There's a read-only system drive, and a writeable Data partition that includes the Users folder and a user Applications folder, which the system meshes with the system Applications folder and displays as a single folder in the Finder.

It's complex, and I don't pretend to understand exactly what's going on at this point.

https://eclecticlight.co/2019/10/08/macos-catalina-boot-volume-layout/

(via Gruber)

By the way, if anyone is ever curious about just what their macOS file structure really looks like, there's a fun and free way to see it without hurting anything. FileZilla, the free open-source FTP software, allows the user to select any folder on any volume (although you might not be able to write to it), and presents it in a graphical file/folder structure. You can cruise around to your heart's content and learn where everything actually is.

mike