Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm more than happy to just read what you professionals are using. But since you asked Mr. Anderton, here are my favorites

Eventide H9 Blackhole algorithm - doesn't even try to be a "natural" reverb. Very in your face about not being "natural", and one of the reason I love it.

Boss Katana Plate - my favorite of the reverbs available in this popular working muso's guitar amp. Somebody posted a collection of ambient patches for Katana and they all used Plate rather than the other reverb types. Versatile enough for uses from basic practice amp usage to super long trails and such.

Empress Zoia - Actually haven't found a reverb in this little modular pedal that I didn't like. Some peeps make much ado about how the Ghost reverb consumes so much CPU but there are a lot of great Zoia (imo) patches that do NOT use Ghost and still sound awesome.

QES Retrofier Roadtripper MCM Spring - my favorite of all the real spring reverbs I've tried, and the only one that I think sounds good with electric violin. All other spring reverbs I've tried - real and virtual - insert ringing tones that ring in the wrong way for electric violin.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked up Abbey Road Chambers yesterday on a Black Friday deal. The demos sound good, and I've just been using the stock Cubase reverb (Roomworks) up until now.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Abbey Road Chambers is fantastic. I fell in love with it immediately for getting "that" drum sound. It's not a diaphanous reverb; it has a somewhat thick sound, which is ideal for some situations. Also note they require a lot of CPU. This is a situation where it's likely you'll be using a reverb bus, instead of inserting on individual tracks...although the bus is also a more "authentic" approach.

It may seem like the options for editing are limited (after all, it is a convolution reverb), but make sure you try the different speakers and room positions. Those settings can make a major difference in the sound.

I used to traditionally stack grainy hardware reverbs to overcome their lacks and I've had some ART and Lexicon time, so I understand the span of the options. I'm considering the Eventide Blackhole plug, but with Logic's Space Designer being a convolution reverb, I find tweaking it to be perfectly satisfying. It winds up on the Master send quite a bit. SilverVerb and EnVerb do insert duty nicely, so its like a far more sane version of the "Good" Old Days, when I'd run a Roland half-rack reverb through an Inbanez pedal and pretend the gritty whoosh was intentional wind effects. Logic's channel strips have spoiled me. As a result, I'm more busy convincing myself that I need a new VA synth than auditioning reverbs.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

• 2 weeks later...

Native Instruments just sent me a free download of a reverb plug-in called RAUM.

"Xmas gift" for being a customer. Nice...

I put it on a scratch track of vocal and acoustic guitar and tried the 3 basic presets. It sounded very nice, there is a 3d ambience.

LOTS of knobs for adjusting parameters, more than usual.

Seems to be a keeper, gotta love the price!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I'm considering the Eventide Blackhole plug, but with Logic's Space Designer being a convolution reverb, I find tweaking it to be perfectly satisfying.

I don't have a lot of convolution reverbs, but for those who do, a question: If you use the same impulse in different convolution reverbs, is the end result the same? Or do they all sound somewhat different? I'd think it would be the former since the impulse is the heart of the process, but haven't tried enough convolution reverbs to know.

After taking a look at the manual and goofing around with it more, NI Raum is awesome, extremely versatile and has a place to store presets - plus a good selection of factory presets (starting points?).

Everybody can have it for FREE! I have no affiliation with Native Instruments but I have purchased some of their products and probably will in the future. Meanwhile, there is no way to lose on this.

The linked page will allow you to log in and get the plugin for free and there is a link to the manual on the left side down the page a bit.

They don't spam me enough to worry about...

Cheers, Kuru

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/your-free-holiday-gifts/get-raum/

Convolution reverbs are convenient but they have their limits. They can't produce the constantly evolving nature of the nonlinear algorithm class like those in legacy Lexicons, EMT, others.

One of the reasons why the "classic era" Lexicon reverbs are unique is they employ time variation in their algorithms in the form of moving delay lines or time-varying output taps. They also have an inherent form of program dependency where different input volumes result in dynamically changing reverb time and other interactive parameters - much like a natural reverbrant closed space. This creates a very rich constantly evolving reverb that convolution can't replicate.

Not that convolution reverbs are inferior. They are very practical.

And here is another free reverb plug-in from Arturia.

This time it's a plate reverb. Demos sound cool, I've got it installed but haven't used it.

Free until Dec 25th so don't wait around if you want it.

Tis the season to be reverberant!!!

https://www.arturia.com/reverb-gift

Convolution reverbs are convenient but they have their limits. They can't produce the constantly evolving nature of the nonlinear algorithm class like those in legacy Lexicons, EMT, others.

To me, it's very similar to the synth vs. sampler difference...or painting vs. photograph. I use algorithm-based reverbs more than impulse-based ones, although the Abbey Road Chambers have skewed the percentage more toward convolution.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Native Instruments just sent me a free download of a reverb plug-in called RAUM.

forgot about this but Native Instruments was kind enough to send me a friendly reminder today. Just downloaded, won't be able to check it out until after NAMM.

:nopity:

forgot about this but Native Instruments was kind enough to send me a friendly reminder today. Just downloaded, won't be able to check it out until after NAMM.

Register it and you are golden.

I tossed it on a couple of tracks and surfed some presets.

Barely scratched the surface, it's capable of many fine things.

A good addition.