Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer WASP DELUXE

Someone already mentioned it in the Warp Drive thread, but I'll make a topic for it. :cool:

WASP-DELUXE-P0-DN6-Top-Front-L.png

Looks like another monosynth. Has some new goodies it seems:

• Variable Oscillators: "Each of the two oscillators comes with three variable waveforms: sawtooth, square wave and an enhanced mode which adds punch and some clarity to the oscillator"s tone. Both oscillators can be adjusted across a wide 5-octave range (32", 16" 8", 4" and 2"). Oscillator 1"s wave shape can be adjusted via the Width knob, while oscillator 2 has a pitch control that can be adjusted against oscillator 1"s pitch to create some really sweet modulation effects. To top it all off, these can be mixed and blended together with an external audio signal to get a truly unique sound."
  • 16-note Polychain capability
  • USB and DIN Midi
  • Eurorack-case compatible

Here is the official YouTube introduction video from Behringer:

[video:youtube]

Product page on Behringer's site: https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Behringer/Keyboards/Synthesizers-and-Samplers/WASP-DELUXE/p/P0DN6#googtrans(en|en)

Actually sounds kind of nice, but I'm not familiar with the original.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember playing one in 1992 that had been taken in used by the store I was working in at the time. I had neither seen or heard of it before. I didn't need that type of keyboard at the time, and was not overly impressed with the build quality. Someone bought it, though.

Looked like this.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/922/LdLrC8.jpg

:nopity:

I want polys and I want effects on my keyboards (for live use)....Behringer has done this (Deepmind) but they also seem to be sticklers for "how things used to be" with other products....they said the UB-Xa won't have fx, which disappoints me greatly and probably rules it out for me.

i remember them well from my youth, i saw them in the UK music stores as a kid, the design was really striking compared to the other synths of the time and it was remarkably cheap in comparison. I don't think the sound was all that epic, it was all about the looks and the price.

There were a few other models as well, the Gnat, which was even more cute and cheap, and the Hornet.

Very cool of behringer to resurrect it!

hang out with me at woody piano shack

I have the formerly free software version from NuSofting, which is great for what it is (an emulation of a cheesy budget synth). I mostly used it for Blondie's "Heart of Glass" when my 80's tribute band was still active. That may be the biggest hit that ever starred that synth. I think I recall they picked one up in London while on tour. And of course its DNA fed into the excellent OSCar synth later on.

This one looks nice; not sure if that price is great relative to other offerings from that company, but the lit I saw earlier this week looked like a solid build. I haven't heard demos yet (nor have I read this thread; I mostly popped in at VERY end-of-night to alert the forum to the Wasp hardware revival, but then saw it had already been posted).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Someone made a controller for the first rev of the impOSCar from G-Force. Rev 2 of the soft synth is even better. I remember the controller being expensive, and don't recall if it was updated for Rev 2. I think it might have been the same folks that did the stuff for Creamware way back? Anyway, the OSCar is one of my five (maybe even three) favourite synths.

Not so keen on the Wasp; I only use it for the "Heart of Glass" pulse line. The soft synth version was worth the donation (no longer voluntary after the 64-bit update) as I needed to cover that song at the time.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager