Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic Image Speaker and Amp

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Checked out their website- I would think they would have more to say about their own product, like showing pictures of them in use with different instruments. From your linked page, it's hard to tell what the scale is, but on their compare link it's revealed that they are 10" speakers, one of them has two 10" speakers, diametrically opposed, with an additional 5" speaker. Are they just meant to be side firing (dual 10" + 5") and top firing (single 10")?

Have never seen speakers like these, with the sound going straight up or going to the side in both directions. At those prices I would hope it they were good.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

https://www.soundpure.com/p/doubleshot-shot-clarus-sl-r/23810?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp23810&sc_intid=23810&gclid=CjwKCAiAzuPuBRAIEiwAkkmOSFs5tjRtn-OBOEhedJ4a27cYb8d8bNFZmoWiub-y8yVHeBAP8EktzxoCYGEQAvD_BwE This one looks it might operate on the same principle as the Space Station.

I wonder how this handles stereo keyboards. I've written them to find out.

Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

I looked into the them a few years ago, before buying my QSC's. I had a few conversations with the owner at the time, who is a very nice person. I even managed to find the Ten Two model to try out at a local boutique guitar store.

The owner, while being very pleasant and answered my questions, is a bass player, and he designs his products with (for the most part) bass players in mind. Nearly all the demos a bassists or guitarists. He understandably could not answer the keyboard-specific questions, but helped me find the retailer and encouraged me to try it out for myself.

In the end, I decided that I did not hear an appropriate amount of sound quality improvement, specially for the money, as they are not a cheap product. I recall the Ten Two being somewhere in the $1,500-1,600 range. Being tuned/optimized for bass and guitar, they suffered from a strong mid-range humpiness which I could not EQ out. Despite having legs to prop them back, it would be difficult to mount them higher up, as they had no hole for a pole mount, and placing them on a chair would block the bottom-firing speaker to some degree. I cannot image the newer products would have a different tuning philosophy.

I'm much happier carrying one or two K8.2 speakers, and feel they were a better overall value than trying to fiddle with a product that was not really designed for me.

Being my background is guitar and bass (new to piano) I have two Acoustic Image (AI) amps, but use them with Raezers Edge speaker cabinets. AI amps focus is amplifying acoustic instruments as naturally as possible, this why their main market is upright bass players and Jazz guitar players. I like their amp heads a lot, but never been too fond on their previous speaker cabinets. There speaker design has kind of been about blending in with rhythm section with in the past down firing speakers and smaller front firing speaker. I haven't heard the new cabinet in use, but part of design is to make the upright bass easier to hear for the player as well as blend in. I could see this as an interesting amp for amplifying an acoustic piano for a small gig, but don't think it going to have the range for synths or EPs. Hope someone has tried one of these with a keyboard can comment. So I love mine for guitar with the Raezers Edge cabinets, but not sure about keyboard.

The Upshot only has a single 10" speaker, so that's going to be weak on the high frequencies. Doubleshot has a pair of side-firing tens plus a 5" front firing driver, that will be better, though probably not exceptional. Better suited for keys, but of course pricier. Not Spacestation-like, it looks like a straight mono system, You should get some less-localizable spread from the driver positioning, but still mono. The two-channel version gives you two inputs, but AFAIK that operates essentially as a mixer for the mono signal going to the speakers.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)