Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Black Crowes have a new keyboard player

Chris and Rich Robinson are back together as Black Crowes and have an all new lineup behind them. Keyboard player is Joel Robinow.

Info on him here.

https://www.keyboardmag.com/artists/talent-scout-joel-robinow

Tour Dates in this Rolling Stone article

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/black-crowes-2020-reunion-tour-dates-910124/

:nopity:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joel seemed good in the Howard Stern clips. I look forward to hearing more.

I like the Black Crowes when they veer towards jamband vibe, and I thought Adam MacDougall supported that vibe well (Adam also played keys in the VERY jammy Chris Robinson Brotherhood). But it sounds like the Crowes are returning to a more song-focused for this tour (i.e., playing Shake Your Moneymaker in its entirety). It'll be interesting to hear how this new band gels. The biggest surprise is the Robinson brothers excluded longtime drummer Steve Gorman from this tour.

The biggest surprise is the Robinson brothers excluded longtime drummer Steve Gorman from this tour.

He wouldn't play anyway. He has had a much better gig now for many years. There is more to this, but I'll leave it at that.

The biggest surprise is the Robinson brothers excluded longtime drummer Steve Gorman from this tour.

He wouldn't play anyway. He has had a much better gig now for many years. There is more to this, but I'll leave it at that.

This article explains it pretty well.

This article explains it pretty well.

and there you have it.

I saw them at their height for a free concert in G Ross Lord Park, Toronto, ON, Canada 8/15/1992. I happened to be up there with my dad on vacation when I was younger. We found they were performing in North Toronto so they had free transportation to get there. Funny this thread came up because my dad took a picture of it and we found it the other day. Check out the hair. LOL.

341.thumb.jpg.10a7165f26ba9470755973fee9693565.jpg

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Sounds great on the Stern visit. Definitely it's brother's that make the Crowe's sound. The new band seems to be great picks, Joel Robinow included.

I remember all the Stones comparisons when their first album hit. Ya of course there's plenty of other comparisons you can make too - but I don't know, there are a lot of elements here that are uniquely american rock-n-roll, southern rock, country, gospel, etc. Ya, the Rolling Stones created a substantial catalog - but they were derivative as hell, and from the same sources.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Speaking of comparisons, reviews at the time mentioned their similarities to the Small Faces, which led me to check them out and become aware of Ian McLagan (who of course I had heard on Stones records). I really liked Eddie Harsch's playing, he came from that same school of no-nonsense, tough blues rock piano. The new guy continues that lineage IMO, I think he's great!

Speaking of comparisons, reviews at the time mentioned their similarities to the Small Faces!
I always thought "Jealous Again" could have been a Faces song had it been written 20 years earlier, would have sounded excellent with Rod singing.

Man, you are STYLIN' Jason! :thu::)

My dad took that from under a tree or something LOL. People were worried it would rain. What was interesting at that show the Crowes had a separate stack of speakers in the parking lot for everyone because it was so crowded. That way they could hear the front of house. That same weekend is when the IMAX movie of the Steel Wheels Stone's concert was shown. It was like being there because it was so larger than life.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I love their music, have seen them a few times over the years, and definitely planned to get tickets when I first heard about this tour, but was bummed to see that their local show here is on a Saturday. I usually don't get tickets to concerts on Saturdays in the summer, thinking there's a chance I'll have a good gig myself that I wouldn't want to turn down, or if not, I prefer to keep those summer weekends just open for travel or all-day outdoor/recreational stuff like beaches and boating, those 12 weeks or so go by really fast..

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Joel's name is known to me, but I don't recognize him from the picture so I guess I've never met him or played with him.

One of my co-workers is good friends with the brothers and often gets together to do one-off material with them (not sure any of it has been released). I never got deeply into the band but have appreciate the songs that I have covered now and then. I didn't realize they had gone inactive for a while though.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager