Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Stands - It's an Illness (GAS)

If you want what's not already out there you need Metal working skills, or you need a good relationship

with a metal fab shop and some basic design/engineering skills. I like the Gibraltar parts but they're too

expensive

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a photo of a couple of modifications I made to my 18880...

Second, I added a piece of a broom handle (painted black), secured with a rounded washer, which provides a rounded and elevated attachment for my iPad holder.

How does the washer hold the broom handle in place, and how do you attach the iPad holder? I may try this mod myself (I use K&M tablet holders).

I like simple.

One tier Standtastic for a single Physis K4.

Throw it on your back like a rifle.

Use an aluminum Ammo Case with two roller handles for your snakes, make sure everyone outside hanging while you load sees it.

And since there are scoundrels in this world, GPS Thumbs in all your coveted gear.

Hence the need for a fast rapid set up and tear down.

Walk like you went to boot camp at Ft. Benning.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Here's a photo of a couple of modifications I made to my 18880...

Second, I added a piece of a broom handle (painted black), secured with a rounded washer, which provides a rounded and elevated attachment for my iPad holder.

How does the washer hold the broom handle in place, and how do you attach the iPad holder? I may try this mod myself (I use K&M tablet holders).

For the broom handle - I drilled a hole near the bottom of it, then put a bolt through a rounded washer on the outside. There's a nut with a big washer holding it tight on the other side (facing the top keyboard). (There's a already a slot at the top of the keyboard stand, so no need to drill into the stand)

My iPad holder has a screw-in attachment that attaches to a rounded pole (like a mic stand).

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

Every time one of you damn keyboard monkeys mentions a new or different keyboard stand I have to go out and buy it. I must have 15 keyboard stands.

I have a STACK of tubular a-frame stands with the idea of the grand Erector Set approach as a few have done. I have at least two "Stand-tastic" stands, a couple of Z-stands, a Monolith stand, an Apex 48, X Stands....

I look for:

1. Can I adjust it so that my keys - both upper and lower - are where I want them?

2. How long does it take to set up?

3. How much room does it take up in the car? I have a wagon, but sometimes take my truck or my g/f's Civic (fold-down seats)

4. Does it have room for two sustain pedals and two controller/expression pedals?

5. How much does it weigh?

6. Is it durable?

Well, someone mentioned the K&M 18880 and the 18882 "stacker" (the 18881 isn't adjustable for angle, the 18882 is). I happened to have $225 that wasn't earmarked for frivolities like food or gasoline, so I pulled the trigger on YET ANOTHER KEYBOARD STAND.

First impression: This thing is REALLY light. Way lighter than even my "heavy duty" X-stand that I keep going back to. Is this going to hold up?

2nd Impression: Lots of adjustments here. Height, 2nd tier height, angle of 2nd tier, length of stacker arms (much like the stand-tastic). A bit fiddly to get it right, but once you're there, you don't have to mess with it again. However, if you get on the gig and discover it's not 'right', you can adjust it without a lot of fanfare - especially the upper tier for height/angle/arm length

3rd Impression: This thing is REALLY light?!! Is it going to get destroyed on load-in/out? Is it going to hold my keys? Is it going to move laterally when things start rockin' ?

After one gig, I'll say that it's really light - my gf can carry it easily with one hand should she care to put down her cocktail and help load in. It was solid on the gig, no movement or whatnot. Very transparent in that I didn't think about it or worry about it.

It's light, but seems very well-constructed with good materials and the welds look like someone gave a shit about what they were doing (rather than just tack/spot welds)

I found one of the tensioning knobs in the back of my car when I unloaded the next day, but that was probably due to my not tightening it up. Also had to add a piece of velcro cord stay to keep the stabilizing rod from swinging about when moving the stand.

Did I mention that it's light?

So.. anyone want to buy a monolith stand with 2nd tier? Or maybe a few A-frames? Stand-tastic?.... anyone? Bueller?

My favorite part is that your gf has a cocktail in her hand before you"ve even loaded in. I like the way you kids roll ...

i roll with an Ult Apex AX-48. Simple fast easy, tiny footprint, i play single-board standing up. Horizontal cross feet hold my couple pedals so i don"t have to tape them down or get a pedal board or other such complications. X-stand at home for when i practice as its a quick setup to a low sitting height, I"m always looking at others" stand to see if i feel an envy pang ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

For anyone considering the 18880, 18881, and 18882--

I sent an email to K&M asking about the potential for some accessories that could extend the stand's functionality. They responded back, within a day as always, that they won't be doing that as the product is twenty plus years old and as it's not selling particularly well it will eventually be discontinued. They did say that it's lightweight, practical, and deserved a redesign; take that for what it's worth.

For anyone considering the 18880, 18881, and 18882--

I sent an email to K&M asking about the potential for some accessories that could extend the stand's functionality. They responded back, within a day as always, that they won't be doing that as the product is twenty plus years old and as it's not selling particularly well it will eventually be discontinued. They did say that it's lightweight, practical, and deserved a redesign; take that for what it's worth.

Interesting. When I recently spoke to my Sweetwater rep why they didn't carry that model, I think he said because it wasn't selling well. They love the new Omega Pro model though.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Here's a photo of a couple of modifications I made to my 18880:

First, in order to keep the top keyboard angled, I screwed in a plastic "foot" on the end of each bar. This keeps the top keyboard from slipping down and there's no need to use those huge pins that hold the top keyboard (and get in the way of playing the lower keyboard).

Do you have more pics that demonstrate the finished product of the mods you made? I get the 'foot' you screwed in but not the broom handle. Am not picturing the final result of that was.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

This came across my FB Feed about 30 days ago. Looks nice, but this has to be insanely expensive with that many parts.

[video:youtube]

Wow, it's beautiful. Not in my budget though. I'm surprised this is his gigging stand, looks like a lot to tear down and setup, but he says its quick. Still though, it much be heavy as f**k.

If you use stands with adjustable tripod feet could you squeeze them in? The advantage being that maybe their footprint can overlap with the Z stand's more.

Not really. If you look at these from SW,

On-Stage Stands SMS-6000-P

the base is 18"! And tripods wouldn't be any better, they'd have to have a very large footprint to have stability. I really can't add to my footprint in my bedroom

Well, this tripod: https://on-stage.com/products/view/12662 claims 12.5 inch "base spread" (I'm not sure exactly what they mean by that.) You might be able to pass one of the legs over a bottom leg of the z-stand to make the arrangement more compact.

If you have the same On-stage Z-stand I have, the width is adjustable. The way mine is set up right now, my bottom board extends about a foot to each side of the stand, so in theory a stand that took up a foot to the side of the stand wouldn't actually extend any further to the sides than my bottom board.

Hmmm... so a smaller footprint speaker stand. Looks like it could work, I'd have to get an attachment, studio monitors don't have mounting holes on the underside for speaker stands.

As far as the adjustable width of the bottom tier- that matters only so far, there's also the width of the top tier keyboard, which is wider than how wide I have the bottom tier. But still, I don't think it'd protrude that much from the existing footprint, AND it would free up the tubes of the second tier that can be outfitted with mic stands and ipad holders.

If you want what's not already out there you need Metal working skills, or you need a good relationship

with a metal fab shop and some basic design/engineering skills. I like the Gibraltar parts but they're too

expensive

Yes, that'd be a solution. But I really don't want to turn this into another project, I already have a lot on my plate. And I don't have the basic design skills to hand off a drawing to a metal shop.

First, in order to keep the top keyboard angled, I screwed in a plastic "foot" on the end of each bar. This keeps the top keyboard from slipping down and there's no need to use those huge pins that hold the top keyboard (and get in the way of playing the lower keyboard).

Do you have more pics that demonstrate the finished product of the mods you made? I get the 'foot' you screwed in but not the broom handle. Am not picturing the final result of that was.

Here's a few more pics from different angles. I also put on some electrical tape to protect the keyboard from the bolt and nut.

344.thumb.jpg.ef5c706448f0ed120ec4f1a487ecffda.jpg

345.thumb.jpg.ba95ade8d186f8d65c4708d808794932.jpg

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

Here's a few more pics from different angles. I also put on some electrical tape to protect the keyboard from the bolt and nut.

I have K&M iPad/tablet holders that screw onto a mic stand directly or that use a clamp to attach to a pole (like yours). I think I may look for a spare mic boom to try your mod with so I don"t have to use the extra clamp.

This came across my FB Feed about 30 days ago. Looks nice, but this has to be insanely expensive with that many parts.

[video:youtube]

Wow, it's beautiful. Not in my budget though. I'm surprised this is his gigging stand, looks like a lot to tear down and setup, but he says its quick. Still though, it much be heavy as f**k.

Not a good idea for posture and I can see it being bad for your back.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com