Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Out of state gigs - how to handle

Bob L

I have what I think is a good problem to solve. I am in a band that is now looking like it will perform out of state (and within California but flying not driving to get there). I have two keyboards for this rig for this band (Casio PX-5s, and Casio XW-P1). Two keyboard stand, and usual bag of cables, small mixer, etc. I've not been in this league before, and don't know whether I need flight cases for my keyboards, and plan on shipping this stuff, checking it when I fly commercial and I presume paying extra, or trying to get rentals for these out of town gigs and load my sounds from media (both keyboards support USB and SD card). Sorry I'm so ignorant, but my band mates don't seem to have this problem (I guess drummer will use "house drum kit" as I don't see him shipping his drums). This is probably a stupid question for the more pro players on this forum, but I am worried that I will have much higher expenses than my band mates, or that I need our band leader to bake this expense into our contracts before anything gets booked. Any input from those who have experience with this would be much appreciated (including questions I should be asking but have not, or things forumites wish they knew before they accepted out of town gigs).

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would first see if you could backline the boards. Have it included in the fee for whoever is hiring you. They may not be able to help you with those specific boards but it's worth trying. Call S.I.R. wherever is regionally closest to where you'll be.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

A general rule is that you need a a ATA flight case for your boards if you fly them. It's the only way to assure, and I use that word with reservation, that your gear arrives safely. Backline rental is a possibility, but your choice of boards is a concern, as backline companies may not carry them. The PX maybe, the XW probably not. If I had to do a fly date these days I'd put together a tablet or laptop rig and get a backline midi controller or buy a light weight controller with the lightest ATA case available, < 50 lbs. Then rent stands and bench. That may not be a possibility for you. How many fly dates do you see yourself doing? Is it worth it to put together a small rig? Will the cities you play in have backline companies?

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I don"t envy you here and recommend renting a rig instead of flying them. This is when a laptop comes in super handy, but I digress. It is difficult to count on back line sometimes, SIR is an exemption. However, the boards you mention may not be readily available and a call to the rental company may answer all your questions. Take your pedals for sure! Good luck.

+1 on costs as outlined above. Cost of backlining/shipping gear is a 'band' expense not 'your' expense. No matter whose gear it is.

If you"re playing a ticketed show you expense it along with transport, accom, venue hire etc. If your band is being paid a performance fee the hirer (your client) should cover this cost.

Best way to solve is to (as mentioned) build a computer based rig for fly dates and spec a controller(s) at the venue.

Voyager, A Tribute to the Music of Journey - http:// www.facebook.com/voyageraz

Keys: Korg KronosX 88, M Audio Code 61, Novation Launchkey, Mainstage, Keyscape, Omnisphere

I travel with a single keyboard and program all the songs with splits layers switching etc so I can fit my playing in that space. i trusted backline cos before and would just bring a flash drive and card but then one gig they showed up with a different incompatible model. they rushed around to find an 88 version in the right model 30 minutes before downbeat but it scarred me. I got a travel board.

I have friends who run a laptop rig and just bring a small midi/audio interface box so they can plug to any controller without worrying about compatibility or interface settings, Newer controllers are usually plug and play but sometimes older ones are finicky about interface. i'm not expert enough to know how to advise more exactly. you can get a good midi/audio interface for $100-150. Depends on your programming talents, sound needs, and ambition to develop this setup - Mainstage is practically free if you have a Macbook. I use very customized exact sounds in my tribute set and I never spent the time to learn how to program the exact tones I need in MS, so I bring a single lightweight board in a molded ATA case

if you keep the rig under 50 lbs/ 60-some inches - its free on Southwest, standard luggage fee on other carriers unless you have a frequent flyer status.

I was traveling with a MOXF6 in SKB ATA case (total weight ! 30 lb)

now I travel with MODX7 in (different) SKY ATA Case. love having the 76 keys back. (total weight ~36 lb)

Band almost always flies Southwest as guitarist always brings 2 guitars, bass brings his bass etc. keyboard is just the same. if there are fees, its included in the band costs

Venues will always provide a stand if its on the stage plot and usually give you a PA monitor channels for your stage sound. the stand is usually an X-stand so fyi. I'd never bring a stand. My light board will fly off an x-stand when i get amped up and rocking - i bring gaff tape and tape the underside to the stand

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Of course Bob should not pay to rent his own backline gear â so I would say to make sure the contract price is enough to cover that and other expenses. Who's covering transportation? Hotel? Hopefully this can happen, but keep in mind that using backlined keys might be risky if you need specialized patches on specific boards. Do not trust your bandleader or agent to suss that stuff out â I would ask for a name & # of someone at the backline co. and make sure they'll have what you need.

If you have to fly your own gear, the lightweight SKB ATA cases are good but not that cheap. I would also find a luggage scale and make sure you read the airline's policy with overweight & oversize stuff. Long gone are the days you could grease a skycap to get your stuff on board.

The band I work with flies a lot and we have it down pretty good â but this post would be even longer if I went into detail on how we do it. It boils down to having status on United airlines! We're all either Gold or 1K and that allows us to bring all our stuff â some over 50lbs â for $0. I suspect this doesn't apply to Bob's situation, but if I'm wrong you could be fine.

Flying all that gear is expensive and damage prone. Renting the gear is expensive back in my roadie days S.I.R. rentals were basically 10% of retail cost of instrument per day. So you shouldn't pay that and event is going resist. These days for fly and play gigs I'd say a well setup laptop (with backups if laptop craps out) then create a ryder for your band's manager/leader to submit to event for controller, stands, etc you prefer and one or two options if that particular make/model isn't available. This is also a time to think if you have keyboard friends, acquaintances, local music store in the places your going to play and reach out and see if you can rent gear from them, be cheaper than someone like S.I.R. or similar rental business.

Either way, bob shouldn"t pay - either for gear airline fees or backline rental - that should come off the top of whatever whoever wherever. Cost of band for out of state gigs includes the cost to get the band and needed gear to the stage, cost to house band on the road. Usually food is not, though many venues will feed you once or twice and you need to scrounge for your remaining meals.

If i could program in MS, I would do a laptop rig as backup to my MODX. My travel band is a tribute with very specific exact signature keyboard sounds and i just didn"t figure out how to get those sounds in the 5 hrs i fiddled. I like my MODX7 live setup very much and know exactly how to get any sound out of it so I"d probably still bring it. SKB ATA case is not cheap - its about $300. The 76 key seems to have gone out of production, i found it on Amazon. 61 key is still in production (MOXF6). I have both and love them. Gator makes a 76 ATA molded case too but I did not like it nearly as much. Not as torsionally stiff, poor seal quality between top and bottom, wheels are placed so it cant stand upright, and its bigger. If you want to bring an 88, you"re probably guaranteed to be over size and over weight and pay $75 each way, a band leader will look cross eyed at that lol.

I have status on Delta, and Southwest allows 2 bags free. Under the size/weight limit 50 lb / 62' - keyboard is just considered a bag = free. (I think its 62', its 60-something)

One note on backline controllers - don"t be finicky about keybed feel as if your stage plot simply says you need a controller with midi 5-pin (or maybe USB),you could get anything. I"m not finicky because I"m not any good lol.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.