Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DAW PC build

I hope this is an appropriate subject for this group. I figure a lot of you guys are probably computer nerds like myself.

I need to upgrade my DAW PC. Currently it is an i7 4790k CPU with 32GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD. I'm still using the Steinberg MR series interfaces, which are Firewire 400 based, via a PCI firewire card. I'm hoping to stay with that for now.

I'm debating between two builds. The first is centered around an Intel I5 9600KF.

https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/MyWishlistDetail?ID=10231296

The second is centered around an AMD Ryzen.

https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/MyWishlistDetail?ID=10954955

In terms of cost, they are pretty close. My question is whether you all have any advice on sticking with Intel or going to AMD? I haven't had an AMD based machine in probably 10 years.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be, but there's also The Computer Lab forum at the top level of MFP you might want to check out.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Haven't had any experience with the Ryzen CPU's, but I've built several Intel machines for friends over the past few years, and they're rock-solid. That ASUS supports 2 M.2 SSD's (There's another slot in the lower-right under a heat spreader), so I would swap out the two WD 1TB drives for a 2TB M.2 drive. That would also cut down on some of the cable management. Also, bear in mind that 9600KF doesn't have onboard video capabilities. If you want to stick with onboard graphics on the motherboard, you'll need a CPU that has onboard video built in. A step up, and a good bang-for-the-buck CPU would be an i7 9700K.

Another suggestion would be to swap out the Noctua cooler with the Scythe Mugen5. It's super quiet, and very easy to install, for half the price of the Noctua. The radiator is offset to one side too, to get out of the way of the RAM.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Get the fastest CPU possible.

The i7 4790K CPUs are what I use in the live rig + Spare and an Orchestral DAW.

Don"t think more core"s is going to be better. A 6 Core could be a good upgrade but only if it"s base speed is 4GHz.

A really good CPU that is an upgrade from the 4790 would be an 8086k, basically a high binned 8700k.

AMDs look really good but same rule of thumb about a 4GHz base speed.

The reason AMD can compete with Intel in our audio realm is the huge amount of cache attached to their CPU"s.

So you might be okay with 3.8/3.9GHz but more core"s means timings and latency might creep in.

I have an 8086k CPU in reserve, not a fan of new anything, and while I tested it and 6 cores didn"t affect my audio buffers, friends using 8 core CPUs cannot use the settings they used with quad core CPU"s.

That said, some audio interfaces of high quality like RME can use 256 samples @ 6.0msec/44.1k and work just fine.

But less robust interfaces might lose those tight settings.

Have Fun

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I suppose for me the criteria for a DAW PC are different than other peoples, and in general the demanded characteristics might not be all too clear cut.

Low latency is a complicated so if you want to run some music create software instead of multi-tracking and sequencing with that, to play "live" there's a combination of factors that on Windows will determine the possible success, and I only know a whole bunch of theoretics which govern the behavior of the combination of the OS and the PC architecture that may not do any practical good to know. That perfect combination of buffer and OS settings, as few as possible processes running, uncluttered network connection use, and proper usb connection organization and all the associated drivers that in the past were some reason for success in playing live with your software might still be possible with modern computer builds in W10, but I'm not too enthusiastic about the chances of complete DAW satisfaction.

More compute ability isn't connected directly with a sound card being satisfied with a very short buffer (in fact there might well be various buffers in the software path) and program audio routines getting scheduled promptly and reliably. A complex instruction set cpu such as is the norm for desktops is typically more made for streaming supercomputer-like computation schemes than little DSP-like microprocessor methods.

I don't know how it is with Cubase and other software makers (I don't enjoy any of them very much as it is, and as far as I can determine) but running a lot of plugins or heavy compute audio generators might have a delay, but then a fixed one. That's the best thing to go for, and that can be incorporated in a real time capable OS on these Intels and Amds.

T

I suppose for me the criteria for a DAW PC are different than other peoples, and in general the demanded characteristics might not be all too clear cut.

Low latency is a complicated so if you want to run some music create software instead of multi-tracking and sequencing with that, to play "live" there's a combination of factors that on Windows will determine the possible success, and I only know a whole bunch of theoretics which govern the behavior of the combination of the OS and the PC architecture that may not do any practical good to know. That perfect combination of buffer and OS settings, as few as possible processes running, uncluttered network connection use, and proper usb connection organization and all the associated drivers that in the past were some reason for success in playing live with your software might still be possible with modern computer builds in W10, but I'm not too enthusiastic about the chances of complete DAW satisfaction.

More compute ability isn't connected directly with a sound card being satisfied with a very short buffer (in fact there might well be various buffers in the software path) and program audio routines getting scheduled promptly and reliably. A complex instruction set cpu such as is the norm for desktops is typically more made for streaming supercomputer-like computation schemes than little DSP-like microprocessor methods.

I don't know how it is with Cubase and other software makers (I don't enjoy any of them very much as it is, and as far as I can determine) but running a lot of plugins or heavy compute audio generators might have a delay, but then a fixed one. That's the best thing to go for, and that can be incorporated in a real time capable OS on these Intels and Amds.

T

Exactly why I use 18 x SHARC DSP"s in my audio/MIDI Interface.

It"s the real number cruncher in my rig, and the reduced instruction sets (RISC) are made for audio, not to run printers, search databases, play games, watch movies, etc.

Give me 4 GHz on 4 Cores, no hyper-threading, and my other 18 Cores will take care of everything else.

Hanku....

Gotta ask. What's wrong with the beast you describe that you already have?

I've been having dropout issues but actually today I think I finally solved them. I got a new video card (Nvidia RTX 2060) to replace my aging Radeon and I've been getting dropouts ever since. But today I finally figured out where the power management settings are for the Nvidia (not in Windows Control Panel, btw) and adjusted it to 'prefer maximum performance' and now the dropouts are gone. I think it was power throttling which was causing interrupts and thus dropouts.

But beyond that, my current setup is still using Firewire interfaces. I'd like to move to Thunderbolt eventually and the motherboard in this machine does not support it. As far as I know, support for Thunderbolt is based on the chipset. You can't just add a Thunderbolt card to a system that doesn't have native motherboard chipset support. And actually, that realization just made my decision on whether to buy an Intel based system or an AMD based system much easier. The Intel based systems (mostly) have native TB support. The AMD systems do not, with the exception of one single ASRock motherboard. If my past experience is any indication, any time only one manufacturer supports a feature, it's probably going to be less than ideal in terms of performance. The ASUS motherboard in my wish list build above supports TB with the addition of an ASUS card, a card they've used on their last three generations of motherboards. So I think I'm going to go that route. I'd like to eventually upgrade my interfaces to either the UAD Apollo series, the new Steinberg AXR4, or ideally the Lynx Aurora.

Haven't had any experience with the Ryzen CPU's, but I've built several Intel machines for friends over the past few years, and they're rock-solid. That ASUS supports 2 M.2 SSD's (There's another slot in the lower-right under a heat spreader), so I would swap out the two WD 1TB drives for a 2TB M.2 drive. That would also cut down on some of the cable management. Also, bear in mind that 9600KF doesn't have onboard video capabilities. If you want to stick with onboard graphics on the motherboard, you'll need a CPU that has onboard video built in. A step up, and a good bang-for-the-buck CPU would be an i7 9700K.

Another suggestion would be to swap out the Noctua cooler with the Scythe Mugen5. It's super quiet, and very easy to install, for half the price of the Noctua. The radiator is offset to one side too, to get out of the way of the RAM.

Thank you for the advice. I don't need the onboard graphics, as I have an Nvidia RTX 2060. I'm also using this machine for light gaming. :) I like the 2TB M.2 idea.

I use a 8-core 9900K overclocked to 4.8Ghz, running on a quiet air cooler (Noctua). I had poor DPC latency with nVidia drivers and couldn't get satisfaction - so my son got a new gaming card. I switched to Radeon and again have stable low DPC latency. The lowest DPC latency was with on-board graphics of the 47xx chip I had before, but now that I am running three monitors, I had to use a graphics card. I do not game on the DAW.

For audio I/O, I use Focusrite's PCIe Dante interface, put right into one of the x16 slots that goes direct to the CPU - not running off the SouthBridge chip. Totally stable and fast with ~40ch of audio flowing in and out of the DAW at any given point. I have no desire to go back to USB or Thunderbolt interfaces, and I came from a high-quality RME UCX interface that was maxed out. Give me a direct PCIe pipe into the CPU and Ethernet transport!

Inside Nuendo, I'm using all their latency management tools in the composing template (~600 tracks of orchestral samples, synths, etc). It is hard to say exactly what the "real" latency is, but the ASIO latency is like 3ms - plenty low enough. By the time the ASIO Guard and VEP buffers are all doing their thing, real latency is surely some multiple of this actually. But it all works fine.

It's important the whole track playback will be accurate. Whether or not there's an internal amount of (pre-) buffering going on isn't much important, except for monitoring live played software plugins. In that case some latency is not as bad as *varying* latency. When digital (for instance DAC reconstruction limitation related) digital problems are prevented, I found out that just like on a analog PA system in a large space, considerable latency can at times be tolerated as long as the right acoustic information remains present. And it's important then, that the delay (latency) is constant, so that we don't hear some playback engine scramble for early buffer sample insertion tricks.

T

I"ve recently ordered a 'super silent' music workstation for my home studio with a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8 x 3.6 GHz) CPU.

The 3700X has top benchmarks, both in multi-core and in single-core ratings - even better than e.g. a i9-9900K or KF. Furthermore it has only 65 W, so it doesn"t get warm at all (and the fans stay relaxed).

I would also suggest to switch to an M.2 SSD for the OS and other "speed relevant" programs.

I'm using Samplitude Pro X3 and a Focusrite USB audio interface. The DAW runs in the maximum monitoring mode (real-time FX processing while playing) but without any noticeable latency.

I"ve recently ordered a 'super silent' music workstation for my home studio with a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8 x 3.6 GHz) CPU.

The 3700X has top benchmarks, both in multi-core and in single-core ratings - even better than e.g. a i9-9900K or KF. Furthermore it has only 65 W, so it doesn"t get warm at all (and the fans stay relaxed).

I would also suggest to switch to an M.2 SSD for the OS and other "speed relevant" programs.

I'm using Samplitude Pro X3 and a Focusrite USB audio interface. The DAW runs in the maximum monitoring mode (real-time FX processing while playing) but without any noticeable latency.

You ordered where ?

Which socket AM4 mainboard (manufacturer/ model) ?

Which chipset does the mainboard use,- AMD X570 ?

Do you use the "boxed" AMD Wraith Prism cooler ?

Which RAM (manufacturer, model) ?

How many GB of RAM, how many RAM sticks,- 2 or 4 ?

Which PSU ?

Tower or rackmount case ?

Case coolers, - which ?

Do you use "onboard" graphics support, p.ex. provided by (some) AsRock AM4 mainboards,- or a dedicated graphics card (which ?) ?

You know,- ordering a DAW ready to use "out of the box" doesn´t help much for DAW PC build,- but maybe you´re able to give us some more and updated info.

thx

A.C.

P.S.:

2 disadvantages of Ryzen 7 for the time being:

Data thruput between AMD Ryzen 7 and RAM is only 50% compared to Ryzen 9 because Ryzen 7 comes w/ only 1 "chiplet" (CCD) and Ryzen 9 has 2.

AMD Ryzen is picky on RAM,- so it´s a good idea waiting for the announced Patriot Viper4 Blackout dual-kits promising to be optimized for AMD Ryzen 7 and 9.

Socket AM4 / X570 chipset mainbaords consumate more power than comparable mainboards for comparable Intel processors.

It´s about 15Watts and the mainboards run hotter as also the chipset needs an active cooler, which, as a mechanical device, can fail.

just sayin´ ...

Best workstation board built for longevity and live work is the ASRock Rack X470"s.

You lose the un noticeable PCI 4 benefits which is only a higher price.

Biggest benefit for audio is to use the DRAM CAS 17 3733MHz sticks. They"re not cheap, but by default AMD BIOS will default the RAM to even numbers in its CAS settings, in this case CAS 16. It is the sweet spot to run SYNC with the Infinity Fabric unique to AMD. It"s said to be 10-15% increase in performance.

It seemed to be effective in the PC I played with. Core locked synths like Zebra HZ and Omnisphere can be stacked with Diva Filters or 4 way layers of Keyscape.

Also noticed with NeoSoul Studio 2 FX Rack there"s no need to load new FX per instrument. Leave the entire rack loaded and automate the Bypass switches or FX Levels.

Their new EPianos and new proprietary player are awesome. Their Wurlitzer is no prize but adds beef to Keyscape on PTeq"s Wurli"s.

Happy Thanksgiving unless you"re woke then have a nice weekend you Coastal heathens.

For those familiar with Tom Holkenborg AKA Junkie XL former EDM artist and now film and media composer. Here's a quick view of his composing computer setup. I other videos he get into his Cubase computers and use of external computers for VSTs. I think in another video mentions the main computers his IT guy builds and the small 1U servers he bought used online from a company selling off their IT gear.

[video:youtube]

You ordered where ?

Which socket AM4 mainboard (manufacturer/ model) ?

Which chipset does the mainboard use,- AMD X570 ?

Do you use the "boxed" AMD Wraith Prism cooler ?

Which RAM (manufacturer, model) ?

How many GB of RAM, how many RAM sticks,- 2 or 4 ?

Which PSU ?

Tower or rackmount case ?

Case coolers, - which ?

Do you use "onboard" graphics support, p.ex. provided by (some) AsRock AM4 mainboards,- or a dedicated graphics card (which ?) ?

You know,- ordering a DAW ready to use "out of the box" doesn´t help much for DAW PC build,- but maybe you´re able to give us some more and updated info.

thx

I didn't order "out of the box", I've chosen on basis of a default "workstation" configuration from a German PC shop (kiebel.de) and changed some things according to my demands (silent, good value for the money).

This is my config:

⢠CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 8x3.6 GHz

⢠Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 (supersilent)

⢠RAM: 2 x Crucial 8 GB DDR4-2666 MHz

⢠Board: ASUS PRIME B450-Plus, AMD B450, AM4, ATX

⢠Graphic: Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030, 2GB, DVI, HDMI (passive)

⢠SSD for OS: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, NVMe M.2 PCIe x4

⢠Casing (tower): Fractal Design Define R6 Black, soundproofed, with 3 (standard, but silent) case coolers

⢠PSU: be quiet! System Power 9 600W, 80+ Bronze

This was the configuration from the shop, completely built-up and prepared to put in my existing 4 hard drives from the old system (2 x SSD, 2 x HDD) with my libraries and data.

Of course there's always a "better" and "faster", I'm not a PC "nerd" and I prefer to put my money into instruments ;). But this system for approx. 1.000 EUR is a reasonable basis for my demands as an advanced amateur.

For those familiar with Tom Holkenborg AKA Junkie XL former EDM artist and now film and media composer. Here's a quick view of his composing computer setup. I other videos he get into his Cubase computers and use of external computers for VSTs. I think in another video mentions the main computers his IT guy builds and the small 1U servers he bought used online from a company selling off their IT gear.

[video:youtube]

He used VEPro on his set up last time I read his posts.

Those 1U"s are likely his 64GB Slaves and his Master PC"s were all 128GB Main DAWs.

Pretty intense set up where he can take any idea and just start creating w/o limitations in Power or Speed.

Would love to tour his place.

Best workstation board built for longevity and live work is the ASRock Rack X470"s.

Biggest benefit for audio is to use the DRAM CAS 17 3733MHz sticks. They"re not cheap, but by default AMD BIOS will default the RAM to even numbers in its CAS settings, in this case CAS 16. It is the sweet spot to run SYNC with the Infinity Fabric unique to AMD. It"s said to be 10-15% increase in performance.

Great info ! Thx !

It seemed to be effective in the PC I played with.

So,- you say you´re now using AMD Ryzen in one of your 1HU builds and together w/ SCOPE/XITE-1 ?

Do you also use the Ryzen 7 3700X or one of the Ryzen 9 models ?

A.C.

I didn't order "out of the box", I've chosen on basis of a default "workstation" configuration from a German PC shop (kiebel.de) and changed some things according to my demands (silent, good value for the money).

Ah, my fault ... sorry ...

This is my config:

⢠CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 8x3.6 GHz

⢠Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 (supersilent)

⢠RAM: 2 x Crucial 8 GB DDR4-2666 MHz

⢠Board: ASUS PRIME B450-Plus, AMD B450, AM4, ATX

⢠Graphic: Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030, 2GB, DVI, HDMI (passive)

⢠SSD for OS: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, NVMe M.2 PCIe x4

⢠Casing (tower): Fractal Design Define R6 Black, soundproofed, with 3 (standard, but silent) case coolers

⢠PSU: be quiet! System Power 9 600W, 80+ Bronze

This was the configuration from the shop, completely built-up and prepared to put in my existing 4 hard drives from the old system (2 x SSD, 2 x HDD) with my libraries and data.

Thx for the specs !

Of course there's always a "better" and "faster", I'm not a PC "nerd" and I prefer to put my money into instruments ;). But this system for approx. 1.000 EUR is a reasonable basis for my demands as an advanced amateur.

Yep,- I also never use the latest/ greatest even my interest is investigation in advantages and disadvantages of new gear (computer components included) AFAP.

:)

A.C.

Great info ! Thx !

It seemed to be effective in the PC I played with.

So,- you say you´re now using AMD Ryzen in one of your 1HU builds and together w/ SCOPE/XITE-1 ?

Do you also use the Ryzen 7 3700X or one of the Ryzen 9 models ?

A.C.

No. No need to fix something that already works, with a brand new spare to boot.

I"ll wait for Intel"s revenge as I"m quite sure theyre pissed off that they lost market share and keep using old silicon 14nm with new names for outdoorsmen who seek a CPU named after lakes and rivers.

A few guys I know asked me for a parts list and built their own.

The one I like the best was a high binned 3800X.

Plenty of juice, big cache for excess FX plugs, and ran @58C with a low profile Noctua.

Great CPU, every bit as strong as my 4790 rigs but 8 cores for more instruments.

I don"t need more than a Quad to run what I need at high poly.

But these CPUs are equal to Intel for single core work regardless of the Cinebench R20 benchmarks.

Scan Audio has a good review of Ryzens.

Next year will be another year for Intel to lose market share but late 2020 they better do more than leak.

I expect sweet revenge or their CEO better start looking for new gig.

I dare anyone looking at the specs in that way too check out the actual memory performance, the actual juice being used to compute audio data (how hot does your CPU get, and how much do the per thread and total load graphs go in practice? Usually the actual benefits you get from architectural renewal are in dimensions not imedeately clear for for standard plugin playing and normal DAW use, of which the drive bandwidth is a clear example.

It's going to be about many processors/threads on a cloud server with a lot of optimization possibilities, probably, because a lot of the home machine improvements are not much being used by audio plugins, for instance graphics card compute power is probably not even used for 1% normally. A lot of the Intel (It's been a long time ago I had a (fast indeed) AMD processor) architecture is aimed at sort of supercomputing subjects, whereas for a lot of intended use programmers just would want to run in cache memory and not make use of much pipelining and other parallel constructs.

It might be a juicy FPGA accelerator card will work on your M2 drives directly soon, and provide massive extremely low latency audio bliss! Bit pricey still, and no musical instrument manufacturer appears to be much unto that, thus far.

T.

• 2 months later...

Just an update for those curious: My brother has built two of the Intel machines that I concocted and saved to my New Egg wishlist (the link is in my first post). The first was for a gamer and the second was for a music producer. He said both machines are rock solid and exhibit fantastic performance under load.

I have not made one yet because I actually solved my problem. The issue I was having was dropouts, which this computer never had before. I had changed my video card to an Nvidia RTX2060 and had the latest drivers installed. After using several monitoring programs to see where the latency was happening, I traced it to the video driver. Long story short, after digging through the Nvidia driver menu, I found that the card was GPU cycling and every time it needed more processing power, I got a dropout. So I turned that off and now the machine is rock solid. So I'll hold off on upgrading for now.

The power cycling option was buried in the 3D settings for those that are curious. I have no idea why it was there but once it was turned off, all the problems went away.

I have found that AMD drivers offer lower DPC latency that nVidia drivers. My son got a free upgrade to his gaming computer, and I got lower DPC latency with a switch to AMD. My preference is on-board motherboard graphics for a DAW - works great. But if you want to run three screens, no can do, so I have to use a graphics card. But lowest system latency I've experienced is with onboard Intel graphics that are built into the i7 chips. Now that I'm on an i9-9900K, I don't have the option, but on their lesser chips you can do a GREAT build for a DAW far short of their best chips.

MSI has an app called Afterburner, it's a GPU OC app but also works well for

underclocking. I use it to UC my Nvidia GPU to keep it from cooking my laptop,

it's been working really well.

RT

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

My preference is on-board motherboard graphics for a DAW - works great.

confirmed !

But if you want to run three screens, no can do, so I have to use a graphics card.

Why ?

Already Intel HD graphic 4600 supports 3 screens (3840x2160@60Hz - Display Port,- or 3840x2160@24Hz - HDMI,- or 1920x1200@60Hz - VGA).

There should be hardware adapters available for p.ex. Display Port running 3 screens.

And that´s just only a Haswell CPU w/ integrated GPU.

Today, you find Intel UHD Graphics 630 already in Intel i3 8100 and i3 8350k, the latter known to work well for audio/MIDI w/ 4GHz stock speed quad core processor, 8MB L3 cache and 91W TDP.

These specs are almost identical to a I7 4790k and UHD Graphics 630 also support 3 screens (4096x2304@60Hz - DP or @24Hz - HDMI).

But lowest system latency I've experienced is with onboard Intel graphics that are built into the i7 chips.

Yep, I use the i7-4790k w/ 32GB G.Skill DDR3 1833 RAM and the iGPU, but actually w/ only 1 large screen because of room problems.

It should work w/ 2 screens well too.

Now that I'm on an i9-9900K, I don't have the option, but on their lesser chips you can do a GREAT build for a DAW far short of their best chips.

I never needed the latest-greatest computer build for DAW.

Actually I´m not able to bring the i7 4790k on it´s knees w/ what I do.

Big film scoring would make a difference though.

A.C.

Yea, I use the onboard GPU as well on my music PC, no need for a card

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I can get 4 displays if I want on i7 4790k too.

Not HD gaming quality but for our 2D work no sweat.

The 4th isn"t advertised or even supported but I run a USB 3 AOC 12' into my Physis K4 > to a USB 3 port using Display Drivers.

I use the HDMI or DVI when I need to get into my BIOS because Display Port isn"t set up to enter and edit, strictly a USB powered display.

Display Port/USB is ideal for live work. Run in and out of your controller to the PC. Easy money.

I build PC"s, not specifically for music production but for Video Editing.

I updated my 6 core, i7 CPU PC to Windows 10 and the Firewire card that I have installed no longer works correctly.

It is a Driver thing that does not have a resolution for the Firewire card that I have installed

As for GPU cards the software that comes with them on CD or via a Download installs lots of cr4p unless there is a hidden option to install the Driver only.

Col

... on i7 4790k ...

I use the HDMI or DVI when I need to get into my BIOS because Display Port isn"t set up to enter and edit, strictly a USB powered display.

Actually I also use DVi and 1 screen only,- but I wanna use a larger screen I already own plus 2 smaller ones in future and had Display Port in mind.

You say, when using Display Port, I´d be unable to go into BIOS,- or do I misunderstand your line above ?

A.C.