Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PX-S3000 and MODX6 at the gig

I finally pulled the trigger and purchased the S3000 this past Friday. I used it for my gig this past Saturday night.

Why the wait to buy? Prior to the latest MODX/Montage firmware update, there was no way to MIDI the S3000 to the MODX directly. Yes, I could bring my Mainstage Rack and use my Focusrite to get the USB to MIDI, but that goes counter to my wanting the "Easy rig."

Also, the other BIG reason for not using the S3000 (or other similar boards) is that it transmits on 1 MIDI channel. I would have to run my MODX in "single mode" which causes issues for some of my complex performance setup. I had to remain in Multi Mode, and is why I stayed with the PX-5S.

The new MODX Montage firmware has the new Hybrid mode, and the big one: Keyboard control status saved in scenes within a performance.

Of course, the new firmware has turned the USB A port into a host.

Enter the PX-S3000. USB cable from it to the MODX, and everything works wonderfully.

Now, my thoughts on the PX-S3000:

I went in to my local shop Friday and spent a good hour or so with the PX-3000. Wow! I love my 5S and it's keybed and the tactile feel of the keys. The S3000 takes it to the next level.

To make sure I wasn't having "new bias", they did have a 5S there as well, that I would go play after a few minutes on the S3000

I am not sure how Casio did it, but the keys on the S3000 are more stable and quieter than my 5S (and the store's) ever was and is. There as always been some side to side play on the 5S. Not bad, but noticeable. I could not duplicate that on the S3000. Like my 5S, the S3000 is non-fatiguing to play. The keys bottom out nicely.

Just as with my 5S, I use the S3000 in my main gig as a controller. However, I did spend a lot of time auditioning the sounds. The grand piano is wonderful. I find a new depth and much better release on the notes. It is much more realistic, to me. Like my 5S, a great board as a backup should my sound device (MODX or Mainstage) decide to take the night off.

The menus were easy to figure out, even without the manual.

I got home with the S3000 Friday evening, and instantly found the menu to change Midi channel and Local Off.

A big thing for me, that I really enjoyed about my old PX-350, was the speakers, as it gave me a true connected experience by letting me "feel" the notes as I played.

It is the same with the S3000. The new speaker system really shines.

"But how do you get that onstage when just using it as controller?" you may ask. :)

Easy: From my Radial Pro D2 DI that I run from my MODX, I use the "Thru" connections. I have a two 1/4" TS to one 1/8" TRS Y cable. I go from my DI box to the audio in on the S3000.

I don't have to run the volume very hard to "Feel" the notes.

I left the touch response on Normal, just as I do with my 5S. Great nuance when playing the Bosendorfer piano I use in the MODX.

The PX-5S can only output up to 4 channels at once (the 4 zones). In a lot of cases that was fine, whoever since I had to run the MODX in Multi mode, that precluded some of the pianos that had more than 4 parts in the performance. Now with the new scene controls and Hybrid mode, not an issue.

At the gig it was perfect! It is still a nice easy setup to have an 88 note board that doesn't weigh 40+lbs.

I did spend time the night before tweaking the technical aspects of the performances in the MODX. Between Hybrid mode, patch remain even when switching scenes within a performance, and performance part on/off controlled by scene, I had a really good time. The best was being able to feel my piano. The connection to the keyboard was simply excellent.

At home the S3000 is great to practice on. No need for headphones. I've just begun to really dive into the sounds and variations of the sounds.

Oh yeah, one last thing Expression Pedal input ;)

EArQCK.jpg

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice! Question, though... For the way you're using it, does the PX-S3000 give you anything you couldn't get from the PX-S1000? Or even the CDP-S100? (I know, the CDP-S100 lacks the "Smart Scaled" feature, though it is unclear to me as to whether that has any relevance when using it as a MIDI controller as opposed to when triggering its own sounds.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Very nice! Question, though... For the way you're using it, does the PX-S3000 give you anything you couldn't get from the PX-S1000?

Yeah..Expression/Assignable Pedal jack. In my more complicated Mainstage/GigPerformer rig, the more pedal inputs, the better.

If you just need or want a basic, piano feeling board with some sounds, the S1000 would be fine.

I don't always use my 88 note controller as just a controller. I have several patches in Mainstage or GigPerformer that incorporate sounds on the PX-5S (and now S3000).

David

David - just so I know for sure...for this gig, all your sounds were MODX, Casio was controller only, and no MainStage (on this gig)?

As you may know, I started a thread a week ago on trying to build a lighter more enjoyable rig than I've got...and this is really tempting.

Tim

David - just so I know for sure...for this gig, all your sounds were MODX, Casio was controller only, and no MainStage (on this gig)?

As you may know, I started a thread a week ago on trying to build a lighter more enjoyable rig than I've got...and this is really tempting.

Tim

Tim, that is correct. My MODX6 currently acts as my only sound source, especially since all the routing, and the SuperKnob allow for a quasi-Mainstage type setup.

One word of caution: It's much easier to use the new Hybrid mode on the MODX when the MODX is the master as in the MODX8. I was able to get very deep and creative with my performances using the MODX6,(scenes, Super knob, 2 expression pedals..) but it's not perfect. If I didn't hate the weight and keys of the MODX8 I would have gone that direction and simply use my Arturia Keylab61 up top. Ever since my PX-350, then 5S, I'm in love with Casio Privia PX weight and keybed

Of course me being me, a gadget freak, Mainstage/Gigperformer will most likely make its way back into the mix :) Depending on which tribute we're doing, It will either be this setup, or PX-S3000 and my Arturia Keylab. My Komplete Kontrol 61 is only used to setup my VST since they're all NKI capable. There's no using the touch pad to adjust parameters.

David

So, the MODX can handle all the splits/layers/zones that you need on the S3000's keyboard while the S3000 just transmits everything on a single channel?

I should go read the MODX manual.

As I just said to Tim above, it's not quite that simple. You have to get very creative with the Keyboard Control status, scene control, and where you apply and block expression and other CC#'s received by the MODX. It's a lot easier of you have a MODX8 and simply use a controller (like my Arturia Keylab) to play parts you don't play from the MODX8.

After Saturday's gig I found some areas I need to play with.

Just like when I setup a Mainstage concert. Only you can decide if some of the trade-offs are worth it to you for the simplicity of setting up two lightweight boards.

David

Thanks as always for this brilliant info David. I've mentioned before that I'm keen to do something similar with my Crumar Seven and MODX7. I'd use the Crumar as the controller, with the MODX7 supplying sounds (and in some songs I'd layer both). So if I'm understanding you, I just need to connect the MODX 7 and Crumar via USB, then set up each performance to hybrid? I understand then I'd need to tweak local off etc on the Crumar as needed.

I"ve been trying to build a very portable yet competent rig, and I think I"ve finally nailed it. An important part is being able to use any backline weighted board, and with my Lab4music Sipario I"m getting close. The idea is to set up 8 zones on the sipario, all using input ch 1 and sending to ch 8-16, then I set up the sounds I need on the MODX. When I"m carrying everything myself, I use a Roland RD64 and a Stay music keyboard stand.

Steinberg UR22 for singing?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."