Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Doobie Brothers Unite for 50th Anniversary Tour

This could be cool but some members obviously missing. I wonder how they will handle keyboard duties as Cornelius Bumpus always played Hammond a long with Michael McDonald. He passed in 2004 and what about Tiran Porter?

Doobie Brothers 50th Anniversary Tour

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre MM Doobies were such a cool groovin rock fusion band in the 70s. I had whatever the album was that had Blackwater on it as a kid - i loved that album. Then McDonald came along and turned them into a sappy yacht rock band. Jmo.
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Yeah, I don't think their savings accounts are that upset about the Michael McDonald years.

Billy Payne is a great match for them, and I also agree Payne plus McDonald would be too keyboard-monster-heavy for the vibe of the group.

Doobies released reliably cool music, and were one of those groups I remember waiting for new releases to come from to see what they would do next.

I can't imagine paying money to see them in 2019, but that's my own quirk. I'm happy to leave them permanently 25 years old and not encounter them again playing the same songs when they're 70.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I concur.

The last couple times I've gone to see them it was still all about the band, not any one individual. Each member did get a chance to shine, but the focus was still on the music as a cohesive unit.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I'm glad to see Tom Johnston made the cut.
Yeah, he's been back in his initial role of co-singer/frontman/guitarist with Pat Simmons for some years now. Interested to see what the band looks like with both him and McDonald, as well as the Bill Payne/Michael McDonald keyboard pairing. Michael McDonald will be the first to say he's more of a singer/songwriter type player, and I imagine the show might not have everyone onstage at all times, but I'd be interested to see and hear some new arrangements! I know I've seen some performances of older material from the McDonald years, so it could be an interesting fusion of eras.

I agree it would be great to see Tiran Porter up there, along with some of the other longtime members who haven't been part of the organization in awhile, but I don't think it's likely. Bass Player did a feature on Tiran ten or fifteen years ago, and he seemed pretty content with that band being part of his past. But hey, if the money's right, who knows...

Any bets on whether or not Skunk Baxter will take time out of his busy Department of Defense schedule to play? :roll:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Having him and Michael McDonald would be a little weird. I could see a huge conflict as Billy is an insane player.

actually, Jason, they worked together on the Little Feat song "Red Streamliner" that Bill had written. I watched an interview where Bill said he was very excited to work with Micheal

:nopity:

Oh I didn't realize that. I guess I meant live. I saw Michael with Chaka Kahn back in June and it was a good show. I think a lot of these older groups share the same DNA or circle of musicians. Jeff Baxter doing missile defense consulting is crazy. Kind of funny actually.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

John I didn't see that. When they reunited a few times he was there though? What did he say about it. As far as I know he is gigging somewhere in CA?

noblevibes.com

Bill Payne (Little Feet) has been touring with them.

I saw that lineup last year. Outstanding.

I saw it a year or so before that, with Bill and with Clem Burke on drums. About 5 years prior to that my band did a few dates with them, and while I dont know the keys guy was, he and the rest of the band were pure fire!!!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Yeah, I don't think their savings accounts are that upset about the Michael McDonald years.

Billy Payne is a great match for them, and I also agree Payne plus McDonald would be too keyboard-monster-heavy for the vibe of the group.

I disagree. I would think Bill and Michael are both listeners and would work superbly together. Having worked with other KB players in bands I can attest that many wonderful magical moments can happen when quality players unite!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I know what you mean, I have another keyboard player. The problem is a matter of architecture. Just because someones a monster player doesn't mean they play nice in the sandbox , I have seen that happen also. Personally I think it would be cool.

noblevibes.com

They also let that happen. I like both versions Dave. Mike is a great player and nice guy at least.

they became far more popular when he joined and their style changed. he is a great player and amazing unique voice - but i much preferred the pre-MM Doobies. Thats me, not them.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

John I didn't see that. When they reunited a few times he was there though? What did he say about it. As far as I know he is gigging somewhere in CA?

Just that he was done with Tom Johnston style of music- I gather he's just not into rock like China Grove. The other things I've read was that he didn't want to be on the road as much as the band is year after year, which is why he left the second time. Yes I've seen he gigs in Nor Cal. I'm a massive fan of his bass playing, just stellar! It's always a bummer when someone doesn't seem too proud or into the body of work they have done. There's an interview where Dio just slams the Rainbow Rising album, their finest effort, just amazing he would say it's nothing.

Yeah I think I saw him say something about it. I knew he left a second time. Personally I wonder if underneath he thinks he made a good decision. I know a lot of musicians that are full of regrets. I wonder if he or Baxter were approached?

noblevibes.com

Dynamite players, all of them, and I too like all three "major" incarnations of the band, but have an overall preference for the "discarded Steely Dan members" version.

As a bassist, I have grown to appreciate their music all the more, as I have by now probably covered about twenty of their tunes in various cover bands over the past decade or two. Challenging material, musical, never gets old, and fun at the same time, along with joyful harmonies that remind me a bit of a greatly underrated band many of us here love to death: "Three Dog Night".

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager