Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does Photography Enhance or Diminish Our Enjoyment?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I thought maybe the article would go the other way and talk about detracting from our enjoyment. For me, it has absolutely enhanced my experience, so much so that I actually go on trips for the specific purpose of doing photography. But also, it has enhanced my appreciation of beauty and always finding beauty in so many different things that I might not have noticed before.

When I spent some time taking photos of my cousin's concert while he was in town, I found that I wasn't listening to and enjoying the show. I had to alternate between listening and photographing (I did enjoy photographing the show, but I found it to be a very separate activity than listening).

I expected much the same in this. Maybe because they were primarily looking at the subject, the photography didn't detract from it. Or maybe my OS is too old and can't multitask. :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Read tha article, it struck me as one of those "All these things can be meaningful, if they are..." sort of conclusions. Lots of variables, and perhaps "wild cards."

A more legitimate study would ask for a real world 24/7 approach, as in sample 3 groups - give one group cameras and instruct them to take lots of photos and not worry about content, one group who only take photos they think might be "good" and one group who take no photos at all. All of this would take place as people lived their actual lives, going to work, eating lunch in the break room, going home and taking care of those important people and things that will not go away, etc.

I would be an outlier, I've shot assignments including weddings (never again!!!), theater, dance, concerts, sports etc. I've also worked with models and actors, planned and executed creative shoots - https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44588370 - and just taken a camera along for fun. I often photograph items I want to sell, always trying to make any defects clear since I sell used items as-found quite often.

This morning I photographed some of the litter our overpaid landscaping service is supposed to be cleaining up but aren't at our condo association grounds (I'm the president of the board of directors, a dubious distinction at best).

Mind you, none of this is a truly higher level and I've found myself far more engaged by my guitar than I've ever been by my camera.

Which is fine, but point being I wouldn't fall into the norm for these sorts of studies and find it impossible to imagine prefering to take photos in all circumstances.

A few years back I found myself in Palm Springs CA, taking the tram up the side of the mountain (this is something EVERYBODY should do at least once!!!!). I was with my mother, brother and two sisters, we were having a great time together. I was so glad that none of us had a camera!!!!! I don't know how the rest of them felt but none of them brought a camera or tried to use their cell phone to take photos.

No conclusion here, the article got me thinking and that is good. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.