Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mag Custom Organs

cedar

Anyone familiar with Mag Custom Organs? I came across this just now because Brian Charette posted a video (on Facebook) of him playing one of their organs. The company is Czech, but apparently their products are (or soon will be) available to purchase in the US.

For what it's worth, Charette seemed impressed.

Here is their website:

http://www.magorgans.com/?page_id=55

And this page has some photos.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is based and build around the HX3 board.

It's discussed here from time to time....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Yes - just played 7 concerts on a MAG organ in Czech Republic last month. It was fabulous. Even through an ordinary speaker. There"s 4 videos of me playing one here:

www.dazzjazz.com

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Yes - just played 7 concerts on a MAG organ in Czech Republic last month. It was fabulous. Even through an ordinary speaker. There"s 4 videos of me playing one here:

www.dazzjazz.com

That"s real nice playing, Darren! The authenticity is one of the best I"ve heard, another reminder that there are some superb clone wheels out there. Try as I have over the years, that airy, greasy, thunky tone has eluded me on my Mojo61.

Time to part ways, I think.

Here for the gear.

I have had the HX-3 module for close to 3 years now. I have never seen a MAG organ but the sound engine is HX-3.

It's taken me years but I have finally come to terms with the sound. I had the hardest time, but I finally came to get a decent result from the 5th octave chorus vibrato, which for a long time had way too much " throb" as far as I am concerned.

It has to do with finding the right match in the preamp and power amp. To me , the HX-3 is working well if I turn the percussion way down and also turn the tone trim pot value way down.

So the organ winds up sounding warm as result. It doesn't work well with a screamy upper octave. Which is fine for me at this time

I had a much easier time with the Viscount Legend right out of the box. The HX3 can sort of a drive a person nuts due to too much adjustability- particularly in the CV department.

But I have it so it is working well at this time. I would still choose the Legend over the HX3, but the HX3 can be made to sound good - with a lot a patience.

Here's a little more info. In the OP, I believe I mentioned that Brian Charette put a post on Facebook, extolling the organ. Today, I saw someone from the company added that the organ was going through their "latest add: the Maggie, a Digital Organ Speaker designed and optimized to work at best with contemporary digital organs."

The rep seemed to suggest that the new speaker was a prototype, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, now there is something else we may be looking to try out: another speaker meant for digital organs.

So do you have any thoughts how the MAG organ stacks up to other clones?

Well, that"s hard to answer. Full disclosure: I"ve been a KeyB artist for about 8 years now, and a distributor for about 5.

The two best clones on the planet are definitely the Legend and the MAG, without a doubt. They both have authenticity and the vibe of a console organ. They leave all others for dead.

I was very lucky to get to use the MAG. The owner of the company, Max, was very generous with loaning me the organ when Viscount couldn"t supply one for my first European tour as they don"t have a distributor in Czech Republic.

I found it interesting that, during the tour, I was playing more squabble style than I usually do. That speaks to the vibe of the upper drawbars and the Leslie sim, with is ventilator based. There are actually LESS controls on the MAG than the Legend for sculpting tones - from memory there"s just Reverb, Tone and Overdrive. This didn"t bother me one bit. In fact the first gig had literally a 5 minutes sound check and then we hit the stage - and I felt at home immediately. The only issue in what could be a nightmare situation (I"ve worried about such a thing for years) is that the action was brand new and not played in, so I couldn"t articulate lines how I"m used to. The video of me playing Layin" In The Cut is from that concert.

Coming home and gigging on the Legend Live was also fabulous. Since I got my amplification sorted, it"s an inspiring rig to play and gets comments from musicians and curious audience members alike. Last week I did a small bar and a big festival - the Legend totally kicked butt In both situations from beginning to end...

Would I like to own both? Absolutely. Do I lust after any of the others? Absolutely not. Hammond should, in theory be the leader, but it"s simply not, even with its amazing 3-contact keyboard.

I did get the brief opportunity to see the speaker prototype but didn"t get to hear it. If it"s the same quality as the organ, then it could be the business.

One thing I"d like to say about the clone wars, in which I"ve been a trooper for some time is this: we all spend way too much time obsessing about gear and not enough time practicing.

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Darren, your last sentence should be burned in all of our memories!

FYI, MAG organs are available with a Diversi rebranding in the US through Diversi Organs based close to Philly.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Since I got my amplification sorted, it"s an inspiring rig to play and gets comments from musicians and curious audience members alike.

Sorry to derail the thread a little, but I have to ask: was that what I saw in another thread? Two active Yahama 10" Speakers stacked and you just plugging in the left channel in one and the right in the other?

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Yes that"s right, with a Radial Stereo JDI inbetween. Sounds bloody great! Must be the gain staging that has made all the difference. Probably gonna leave my Leslie at home, certainly haven"t used it in a while.

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

Hi All, Max from MAG Organs here,

first of all big thanks Darren for your kind words about your experience with the MAG P-2 you played here in the Czech Republic, You are an incredibly talented player as well as a great person. I'm really happy I overcame the initial doubts I had lending an organ to a player who is doing business with a competitor, You handled the matter in the most correct way proving you're not only an extraordinarily talented player but a great person too. I'm just glad we had the chance to meet.

That said, I think it may be useful for the forum's member shedding some light on MAG products since It seems there are some unanswered questions about them.

All MAG organs are based on the great HX3 sound engine developed by the real genius of Carsten Meyer of keyboardpartner associated to a MAG proprietary extension board which features exclusive spring reverb emulation (the HX3 reverb remains dedicated to the extra sounds) and some analog circuitry for carrying on the Volume Normal /Soft function with its specific equalization and the Analog Organ Volume which is free from any digital zippering noise. In any case, where the use of rotary speaker emulation is foreseen (maybe 90-95%) this is carried on by a Ventilator fully integrated into the organ through the MAG proprietary analog board which offers the balanced L+R outs.

About the speaker played by Brian last week, it was the first prototype of the soon to be released Maggie Organ speaker which has been optimized for working in association with the onboard ventilator. The main specs are 15" woofer, 2x 5" high-efficiency mids, driven respectively by a 300W RMS and 2x 150 W RMS class D amps Weight 32 kg. official pictures and more detailed information will be released in a week or so

We didn't have so much time to talk with Brian before and after the gig about the rig he was playing and this may be the reason he posted some different into :-)

Hoping this helped to clarify some doubts

Happy music

Max

MAG Custom Organs

I probably need to get connected to a chat forum that deals specifically with the HX3 module.

It is nice to hear from a manufacturer, so thanks for chiming in Max.

I have never seen a MAG organ and am unlikely to buy one sight unseen, so that brings me back to the HX3 module. The chorus vibrato parameters are real crazymakers. I have no idea what most of these parameters do, but anyone who has an HX3 knows what I am referring to. Settings like " pre emphasis" to name just one that I can remember..... There are something like 8 or 9 different areas of adjustment for the HX3 CV.

So I wish they would just do what Key B did - have Joey D. or someone who knows what is going on set it up and give you something that works right out of the box.

It sounds like MAG is going beyond the call of duty and integrating the Ventilator together with the HX3. if I understand that correctly.

It's been a bit tough to get any discussion going on anything HX3 related on this forum, perhaps this is another way. By the way I have noticed that there haven't been any updates beyond 4.25 for awhile.

LX 88,

I have the feeling your information is not updated... since about 15 months the 3.5 version of the HX3 board is available running the 5.XXX SW. It's a brand new HW board that, while keeping a form factor and connection layout identical to the previous series, is based on way more powerful chipset and offers a load of additional features. Nothing which can push the B-3 purist to feel ":underpowered", the additional features are more aimed to the people willing to explore with different organ sound generators (H-100, M-Series, frequency divider electronic organs and so on) In addition to that some so-called Extra sounds are available (even though the current quality is nothing to let you write home... but new sounds should be soon or later available),

The previous version of SW 4.25 received some minor updates some weeks after that release of the new HW (curiously retaining the version index to the best of my knowledge) and then quite understandably no further development work has been done on it.

I frankly speaking received only enthusiastic comments from my clients (most of which owned/played extensively any other organ on the market including the one you play) about the authenticity of the V/C but your opinion is, of course, sovereign. If you feel like asking something about my settings, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you finding your sweet spot.

MAG Custom Organs

About the speaker played by Brian last week, it was the first prototype of the soon to be released Maggie Organ speaker which has been optimized for working in association with the onboard ventilator. The main specs are 15" woofer, 2x 5" high-efficiency mids, driven respectively by a 300W RMS and 2x 150 W RMS class D amps Weight 32 kg. official pictures and more detailed information will be released in a week or so

Was Brian also using a sub-woofer? Or can that speaker handle bass well on its own?

I'm looking forward to your speaker being available in the US. When do you think it might be released?

Definitely no subwoofer cedar,

Actually the speaker has an integrated DSP which in the prototype played by Brian was used just as electronic crossover and just very slightly limiting the response on both low and high end.

Matching low and mid-frequency drivers required a lot of work (more than 100 simulations made) but paid its dividends, or at least it seems so talking with the first testers :-)

Using properly matched speakers in a correctly dimensioned cabinet can offer nowadays a truckload of bass tones. bear in mind that organs don't go extremely low in the frequency and the vintage rotary speakers have their own sound signature which is pretty limited compared to what a modern subwoofer can do. In other words, IMHO a subwoofer is NOT the correct way to amplify the lower octave of a drawbar organ ... :-)

Tom Tuson of Diversi decided to move to the warm AZ and slowed down a bit his activities, so we agreed that the sales will be carried on directly from Prague (CZ) as BTW happened most of the times anyway for several reasons. He will, of course, keep offering local support and service for MAG products.

So the Maggie will be sold directly from CZ with the usual "well-oiled" procedure.

I'm working with the wood workshop on some minor amendments to the first 3 preseries boxes and on Friday I'll mount the first preseries prototype which will be used for the official presentation. I'll start then collecting pre-orders for expected delivery in the usual 8 weeks (approximately ... :-)) , with the goal of speeding up the manufacturing and having in spring the Maggie ready for delivery from stock.

The price will be determined in the next days, with most probably an "early-bird" policy for the first lot ... :-)

MAG Custom Organs

I don"t have Facebook anymore (no regrets there) - can someone point me to the video of Brian playing through the speaker please?

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

I've only seen the video posted (by Brian) on my Facebook feed. I tried a quick google search to see if the video was posted outside of Facebook, but couldn't find anything.

Maybe it's possible for a non-Facebook person still to look for videos posted publicly? If so, just search for Brian Charette videos (I guess). Video was taken at Jazz Club Slaný

Hi Max!

Thanks from your presence on this Forum!

Since Tom is no longer handling new Diversi/MAG product, will the US destination units have US voltage and power connections?

Thanks for a fantastic instrument!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Hi Max!

Thanks from your presence on this Forum!

Since Tom is no longer handling new Diversi/MAG product, will the US destination units have US voltage and power connections?

Thanks for a fantastic instrument!

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you are writing but Diversi still appears to be handling these products, they sit front and center on the Diversi website:

https://www.diversi.us/

Or are you saying that Tom doesn't comment any longer on this forum?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Just sayin'....

The six year thread with 48 pages doesn't include all that much info on HX-3.5. I wasn't aware that there were significant changes to the basic tonewheel sound, all I knew was that there were some new drawbar capabilities such as those found on the Hammond H-100 etc.

My main interest is in the classic Hammond B-3 type sound. Which has to be right before you mix it into whatever leslie sim you choose.

Speaking of leslie sims I haven't heard one yet that doesn't mess with the tonality of the percussion. One thing I would like to see would be to bypass percussion going into the leslie sim. Oh well......

So anyway I will send my chorus vibrato settings to Max and see if I can get anything straightened out.

BTW.... I go back to an encounter I experienced when I was standing behind Joey DeFrancesco and Dr. Lonnie Smith when the Numa 1 first came out.

Dr. Lonnie's first words after hearing it were

" They got the chorus right !"

So that's why this is important.

Also... I just PM my CV settings to Max.

I set these by ear, but as I said I think that it is possible to screw it up as much as improve it.

I can tell pretty well when something throws it off kilter but at the same time I really don't know the real meaning of some of these settings.

Let's see if I can improve this.