Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Great Albums; Peter Gabriel's So- A Documentary

https://www.amazon.com/Peter-Gabriel-So-Classic-Albums/dp/B07KFPKV3C

If you have Amazon Prime, this is a must.

This 1 hour documentary is also on premium cable TV

If I had to choose 1 album, this is it

I think you will enjoy the ' behind the scenes ' of this timeless album by a great artist/songwriter.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love this. If I"m not mistaken, drum track for Sledgehammer was one take. That record is a masterpiece. Thanks for sharing link!

Good back story on the song. It was a last minute add by PG. He casual mentioned it to Tony Levin and the band got going on it.

Manu Katché was a fabulous session drummer in France. When he joined the recording sessions, he would master the drum part in 1 or 2 takes.

PG asked for 5 or more takes. Typically, PG would have numerous takes[up to 100 ?] on a part or a section.

Manu said ' no, thats the way I hear it and thats the way it is'. Something like that.

[70's Songwriter]

Love it! Especially the story about Daniel Lanois locking Peter Gabriel in the barn.

the country home environment and nearby town of Bath is really interesting. Daniel had numerous stories about the 1 year session.

Recording in an old cow barn is amazing

[70's Songwriter]

So is amazing. I liked Us, and newer records, but not quite as much.

I saw him on The Secret World tour, still to this day the most amazing concert I have seen. It was a theatrical experience really. Paula Cole absolutely stole the show though...every time she sang it made you catch your breath, so incredible. I liked that her voice was different from the album parts (Kate Bush, Sinead etc), she just did her thing.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwZXV8ZlXlc

So is amazing. I liked Us, and newer records, but not quite as much.

I saw him on The Secret World tour, still to this day the most amazing concert I have seen. It was a theatrical experience really...

i saw that show also, and agree... theatrical production beginning to end. Easily the best live show I"ve ever experienced! I"ve seen P G both with Genesis (going back to Nursery Cryme) and without, and to me the Secret World Live tour was his crown jewel. He really looked like he felt more at home on the stage. No hiding behind costumes or stories, just being Peter Gabriel.

I had the pleasure of meeting him, as well as the rest of Genesis between the two Lamb LDOB shows in Cleveland. Very polite, gentle, and soft spoken man. Found out later it may have been the night the band had a discussion about Gabriel going out on his own.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

I'm on it. I got to see him perform the "Security" album, with Larry Fast on synths. I still get misty recalling that riveting opening sequence to "San Jacinto." Of course, I also get misty over the theme to "Stingray," so I claim no musical authority.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

Now I know what I'm doing today lol. I played in a PG tribute show about 18 months ago. What a fun time and a great challenge to recreate all the keyboard parts. Some really fantastic music.

Here's the set list from the show we did, it was a capture of pretty much everything he has done solo since Genesis.

Set 1

Come Talk to Me

I Have the Touch

I Don't Remember

Humdrum

More Than This

Don't Give Up

DIY

Family Snapshot

Big Time

Secret World

set 2

On the air

Growing Up

Downside Up

I Go Swimming

Digging In the Dirt

Games Without Frontiers

Sledgehammer

Solsbury Hill

encore

Shock the Monkey

In Your Eyes

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

very impressed, Dan !

You had to figure out great keyboard work by David Sancious, Larry Fast, Jean Claude Naimro and Rachel Z

And Peter did tasty piano work on his CP.

Lots of studio production talent to cover.

[70's Songwriter]

Very interesting DanL. Our set is:

Come Talk to Me

Steam

Games without Frontiers (which I can't stand!)

Secret World

Shock the Monkey

Mercy Street

Shaking the Tree

In your Eyes

Blood of Eden

Solsbury Hill

Here Comes the Flood

Red Rain

Don't give Up

Sledgehammer

Biko

I'm running everything via Mainstage, using Pianoteq for the classic CP sound, Blue3 for organ, a variety of Arturia/Logic plugs for synths and Kontakt for brass.

I've taken as our starting point various live versions rather than the studio ones, both for arrangements and for kbd sounds.

Just curious about those of you who play in PG tributes. In Your Eyes: do you have keyboard or guitar playing the repeated arpeggio comping in the pre-chorus and chorus. Seems like guitar in the studio recording and keys in the tour video.

(Now I can go back to drooling over Paula Cole"s vocals and body movements)

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Just curious about those of you who play in PG tributes. In Your Eyes: do you have keyboard or guitar playing the repeated arpeggio comping in the pre-chorus and chorus. Seems like guitar in the studio recording and keys in the tour video.

(Now I can go back to drooling over Paula Cole"s vocals and body movements)

I hear you!

I play the arpeggiated patterns on a fairly heavily chorused CP sound...mainly because our guitarist is more of a 'David Rhodes' type of player....great feel, but less comfortable on those kind of intricate patterns. I have a split between the piano on RH and organ pad on LH...pretty similar to how it's done live.