Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommendations for a simple but fun demo song

Hi all,

I now have a DP in my living room. Before it was in another room where we rarely had guests, but now everybody who visits our house will immediately see the piano. I foresee that lots of folks will want that I play a song for them, probably just to figure out if I can actually play or not. I usually don't play for others, and usually I don't have a single song on a good enough level to actually do so, but now I was thinking it could make sense to have one song in my repertoire for just such an occasion: short, simple, fun. I don't want to impress anybody, I just want to have a short and simple but fun song (or just a few bars) available so that I don't need to decline the request.

Do you have any suggestion? Short, simple, fun?

Thanks

Gretel

2019 W.Hoffmann T122 upright, Roland FP-50, Roland RD64, Korg Microkorg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's actually a really good idea! Concerning Clair de Lune I am a bit skeptical, after all it's pretty romantic and not really light-hearted fun. But of course it's a good song and a real standard that everybody will know and recognize.

Will look for sheet music for the Super Mario Theme.

Probably because they knew you would blow them away :-)

But thanks again for all the suggestions here! Super Mario is probably my personal winner here because it is fun and maybe a bit unexpected. Classics like Clair de Lune and Für Elise are of course also great. The song from peanuts wouldn't work I guess - I am German and I think this song isn"t really known here (at least I didn't know it).

Don't worry be happy would be great if I would sing along - maybe also something to consider because I actually want to improve my âsinging plus playing the piano'-skills. Thanks again!

Bach Prelude No 1 in C from The Well Tempered Clavier. There is no other piece like it in terms of technical simplicity and sublime depth of appeal and master composition.

Highly recommended for beginners thru advanced players. It"s easy but great music. The timing and dynamics can be interpreted in many ways.

Claire de Lune is very difficult.

Fur Elise is very cliche, easy page 1 but page 2 is very difficult.

Linus and Lucy is an instant crowd pleaser but requires good skill and rhythm chops.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."