Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Xenyx USB and Mainstage

Hey everyone! Looking for some basic mixer/interface advice.

I"ve got a Behringer Xenyx 302USB. I"m trying to connect an analog instrument (in this case, a Clavinet) and process it through an audio channel strip in Mainstage.

For whatever reason, I"ve never been able to use that unit for both audio Input AND Output in Mainstage.

Doesn"t matter which input on the Xenyx I connect the clavinet to (Mic or Line or 2-Track) or which button selections (USB Play or Line In) I press, ALL I hear from the Clavinet is the unprocessed signal, NOT coming from the audio channel strip (with effects) in MS. I can SEE the audio meter moving in MS AND I can "hear' all the software instruments. I"m just not getting clavinet coming through MS. I read through the manual too many times, I"m clearly missing something. I read on another forum to create an aggregate audio instrument on the Mac, but I"m still not getting the desired result.

Any help is appreciated

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all congratulations on having a clavinet! I am not sure how helpful I can be but perhaps your answers to the following questions will be ... ?

1) When the clav is not connected to the computer, what is the signal path, and how is that signal path changed when you (attempt to) process through the computer?

2) Since you are able to see the signal coming into Mainstage, what happens if you route the output of the clav (in Mainstage) through the headphone outputs of the Mac? (This step is to isolate the problem to the Xenyx or alternatively to Mainstage.)

3) It could be that your effects chains are not feeding into your outputs in Mainstage. I gather from your post that you are not using an aux bus for the effects. Do give us a summary of where you are placing the effects, the sequence of effects, and the wet/dry mix within the effects

4) In relation to item 3, what happens when you replicate your effects chain for the clav ... for a software instrument? Does the software instrument function as you would expect? See if you can build your effects chain in an aux bux and tell us how that works (does not work) for you.

Hope this helps.

I have a Clavinet Duo that never gets used in these days of amazing software. I'm playing a "Last Waltz" tribute show in a few weeks and even though 96% of the audience can't tell the difference between a Mainstage clavinet and a real one, I'm stupidly determined to bring it out and use an audio channel in Mainstage for processing with a phaser, an Amp sim and of course, a wah pedal. (The other challenge is that two of the Tone Switches aren't working so I have to set up some kind of EQ setting that mimics each of those)

I use a Behringer UCA222 in my Mainstage rig, but it has no Input gain control and the Clavinet signal is very weak, like -15dB at the most. Soooo...

I've got his Xenyx 302USB that SEEMS like it would be perfect for the job, only I'm clearly an idiot at reading manuals. Hence my post. It's POSSIBLE that this mixer wasn't designed to do this in the first place.

Those look like an excellent set of troubleshooting steps, can't wait to get home and get started. I'll post back with results.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got THREE audio interfaces and can't get ANY of them to simultaneously take an external audio signal (a clavinet Duo) into a Mainstage channel strip AND send an output to a DI or headphones out. Behringer has no phone or chat support (maybe that"s why their prices are low)

Show is Wednesday and no time to order anything new. If needed I can bring TWO interfaces or use the headphone jack for output, but there has to be something I"m doing wrong.

If I set INPUT to USB Audio Codec and OUTPUT to Headphones, I get the Clavinet channel strip and Mainstage.

Heres"s what I have:

Behringer UCA-222 (no preamp so clavinet signal is too weak)

Behringer Xenyx 302USB -> I can process the Clavinet in MS and see the meters responding, but I hear nothing from the software instruments unless I press the Line/USB FROM button, but then I don"t hear the audio channel.

Behringer U-Phoria UM2 -> All I hear from the Clavinet is the dry signal coming from the output jacks. (This interface was ordered recently because I"d read the 302USB can"t do both USB input and audio input, but who knows whether that"s true)

Numa Compact 2 as controller

NanoKontrol

Midi Expressions Quattro

1978 Clavinet Duo

On your Clavinet channel strip in Mainstage, is the audio output routing the same as it is on the software channel strips? If not, what's the difference? It's possible the audio channel strip is somehow routed to a different audio output, though I feel like that sort if thing is intricate enough to set up if you were *trying* to...

On the UM2, is the "direct monitoring" switch deactivated?

Also, make sure that whichever interface you use is set as both the input and output both on your Mac's system settings AND in Mainstage itself.

Assuming you are able to hear your software instruments out of the UM2, it should absolutely be possible to hear both the software instruments and the processed Clavinet audio... keep us posted!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.