Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Short and sweet solos

I've been enjoying this catchy new number from Theo Katzmannwhich has a great little 8 bar rip-roaring piano solo from Lee Pardini (current keys man for Dawes) at the 2:15 mark. Got me thinking: what are some of your favorite short piano/keyboard solos? Let's say 16 bars or less :keys:

[video:youtube]

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got me thinking: what are some of your favorite short piano/keyboard solos? Let's say 16 bars or less

I'd guess that any keyboard lead on a (non-instrumental) hit single would be short enough to qualify. So off-hand, I'd think of Get Back, Time of the Season, and Love Her Madly... Too obvious? ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'd count that as 4 bars, myself... counting half-time from you. But yeah, great solo, had actually been meaning to post about it here too.

Yeah I was feeling more of a fast four or cut time myself. Definitely a great solo, might take a stab at transcribing it, really like those tasty little descending licks (whether or not I have the faculty to pull them off is another story)

I'd guess that any keyboard lead on a (non-instrumental) hit single would be short enough to qualify. So off-hand, I'd think of Get Back, Time of the Season, and Love Her Madly... Too obvious? ;-)

Yes, most pop songs/singles would probably qualify. I was actually going to post Get Back next but you already beat me to it!

Greg Phillinanes' solo on Ruby Baby (@1:47). Love the quote of "You Really Got Me" at the beginning.

That is a good one...I have admired that solo for a while now!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I always liked Reese's solo in this at 0:51: [sRV & Double Trouble - The House Is Rocking]
Thanks for posting - that takes me back to my childhood. That's a great gateway solo into rock-and-roll for classical players. The Lynyrd Skynyrd track posted above is also part of my youth.

Cheers, Mike.

Scritti Politti - Perfect Way

At the 2:25 mark. Short and sweet.

[video:youtube]

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Three on my list:

Sunset Grill - Eagles

Valerie - Winwood

Bennie and the Jets - Elton

I got dozens more.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.