Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Test over 300 Mics!?

Hey guys, I just saw a You Tube video about this site and had to share. This is NUTS! I've just started toying with it and, as far as I can tell it's 100% free. It lets you compare all these mics with the same sound source. Crazy stuff.

https://www.audiotestkitchen.com/

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to the point where the site asked for permission to use space on my hard drive and bailed.

I could see using it as one point of reference, even a starting point. There are too many variables in the sound of human voices, the tone of a guitar and amp played by one person as opposed to another, the difference tube swapping can make in a tube mic, etc. This is to say nothing of the playback codec used by the website, the speakers/headphones you are using, etc.

I've got Amplitube and you can adjust the position of your selected microphone in relation to the modeled speaker (which can also be chosen). They may have modelled the mic close to the speaker, out in the room at 4 feet and again at 10 feet but what if your preferred sweet spot happens to be 6'7"?

I am guessing the inbetween positions are interpolated based on the few sample points they did establish. In that case, it really doesn't matter with a plugin, you adjust things until it sounds good and done.

If you are choosing a mic for a particular singer, it matters a great deal.

I've been through a few mics on my path to putting together a small mic locker that works for me. I've made mistakes, should have kept the Shure SM7 but I didn't bond with it at the time. It takes a lot of gain, now I have a Cloudlifter and it is great with my KSM8. I am sure (pun!) it would have made a big difference for the SM7 as well.

Do they do complete tests of mulit-pattern mics?

Anyway, have fun!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Too many variables make comparing mics online sort of pointless. You just have to use them a lot in order to form meaningful opinions.

I too haven't gotten on well with the SM7. I worked a gig with one of the Manhattan Transfer singers, who brought his personal SM7 for the concert. In my opinion it didn't sound wonderful & needed so much gain that noise started to intrude. Then again, this was with a Crest V series console. They may sound fabulous with a Neve or API preamp, if you can get past the noise. The Cloudlifter works great with low output ribbons.

Scott Fraser

Too many variables make comparing mics online sort of pointless. You just have to use them a lot in order to form meaningful opinions.

I too haven't gotten on well with the SM7. I worked a gig with one of the Manhattan Transfer singers, who brought his personal SM7 for the concert. In my opinion it didn't sound wonderful & needed so much gain that noise started to intrude. Then again, this was with a Crest V series console. They may sound fabulous with a Neve or API preamp, if you can get past the noise. The Cloudlifter works great with low output ribbons.

Fuly agree with your first two lines.

I picked up a Cloudlifter CL-1 at a pawn shop and it has changed things, possibly more than any other single piece of gear I have in my humble home studio.

It actually reduces the noise floor, the gain it provides is nearly noise free and it lets you keep your gain knobs on the interface much lower.

A friend gave me an EV PL95 vocal mic and the difference with or wthout the Cloudlifter is night and day. It's an excellent studio mic now, was not useful for anything but loud electric guitar amps before.

My Shure KSM8 is a great mic by any standard but the CL-1 really makes it awesome. I only have one ribbon mic, a CAD D-82, but again - it's a different animal with the CL-1

And yeah, I got rid of my SM7 and it may not fair well on the website either but it has been used by Michael Jackson and others so some love it.

I won't get another one, the KSM8 is as good a dynamic mic as anybody would ever need.

Haven't checked the OP's site yet, but I will get around to it. I've been using my two Carvin M68's for such a long time that there is no reason to stop now. When I bought my PA the guy said they came with it and I told him I already had a good mic and didn't have any need for another mic or two. He said take them with you as they will surprise you. They are Shure mic's with the Carvin name on them and you could always use them for your guests. I said, OK I'll take them. I was sure [no pun] glad I took them as they work great and are road worthy. My other mic (which I thought was a good one) has been gathering dust for 10 years or more LOL! At open mic's I'm at the mercy of whatever is brought to the party! It adds to the fun (i.e. having everyone using the same mic and hearing how the different voices sound coming out of the same set up...) :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Haven't checked the OP's site yet, but I will get around to it. I've been using my two Carvin M68's for such a long time that there is no reason to stop now. When I bought my PA the guy said they came with it and I told him I already had a good mic and didn't have any need for another mic or two. He said take them with you as they will surprise you. They are Shure mic's with the Carvin name on them and you could always use them for your guests. I said, OK I'll take them. I was sure [no pun] glad I took them as they work great and are road worthy. My other mic (which I thought was a good one) has been gathering dust for 10 years or more LOL! At open mic's I'm at the mercy of whatever is brought to the party! It adds to the fun (i.e. having everyone using the same mic and hearing how the different voices sound coming out of the same set up...) :cool:

Live work is another animal entirely. There is some crossover, no reason not to at least try a mic for any use that comes up.

I've used some Carvin mics, they were fine. Currently using an Audix OM2 I got at a pawn shop for $25 in mint condition with box and bag. It's fine too, will do until my Shure Beta 87a comes back repaired from a death drop. When others are doing sound you will run into SM58s and other stuff. Just make it work!

Picked up an EV 767ND at Guitar Center when they blew them out for $50. Another good gigging mic. Spares - one is none and two is one. Cheers, Kuru

Yeah, I can't argue with that, but I thought it was pretty cool for a free resource. When I got my couple of studio mics for vocals, I actually lined up a score of them at the store and sang the same line through each into a DAT (it was long ago!). We played them back and I picked the pair I liked best for my voice. I miss that store. =[ I don't now if you could ever do that in a GC type place these days.

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

Yeah, I can't argue with that, but I thought it was pretty cool for a free resource. When I got my couple of studio mics for vocals, I actually lined up a score of them at the store and sang the same line through each into a DAT (it was long ago!). We played them back and I picked the pair I liked best for my voice. I miss that store. =[ I don't now if you could ever do that in a GC type place these days.

As I said in my first post, it is a good reference point. Gotta stay open to the idea that a mic you don't like on their tests might be just the thing you want.

I've done a search for "microphone model" and "forum", it's a way to see what others think in places like this. Tapeop reviews can be very helpful.

I think the trick with GC is to go at a time when they aren't real busy, like a Weds morning. If you find the right salesperson they will probably be curious themselves.

If you pick one there you should buy it there.

Keep an eye out on craigslist, check in with friends who have studios, etc. Sometimes lightly used bargains do come up. I recently traded a Turkish saz I bought at Value Village for $40 straight across for a CAD D-82 ribbon and a CAD E100 (2) condenser mic, both in excellent condition. Neither is best in category but even when you add in $40 for shipping I did well on them.

Both will be useful here often. Both had plenty of positive opinions and good information available online so I felt comfortable just getting them.

Not sure what you are wanting or what you will use it for. I'm trying to keep it small, just a few mics.

Live work is another animal entirely. There is some crossover, no reason not to at least try a mic for any use that comes up.

I've used some Carvin mics, they were fine. Currently using an Audix OM2 I got at a pawn shop for $25 in mint condition with box and bag. It's fine too, will do until my Shure Beta 87a comes back repaired from a death drop. When others are doing sound you will run into SM58s and other stuff. Just make it work!

Picked up an EV 767ND at Guitar Center when they blew them out for $50. Another good gigging mic. Spares - one is none and two is one. Cheers, Kuru

I have been keeping an eye on that Shure 87A handheld condenser mic. Runs about $250 at SW. Gets good reviews and is supposed to be roadworthy with little or no feedback problems. Let me know your thoughts on it? I'm guessing you like it enough to have it repaired (which is a good sign!)? :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I used my Beta 87a for years with zero problems. I've always kept a spare mic in the gig back, a dynamic that will work on any PA.

I don't recall every having to use it, phantom power seems to be everywhere.

That said, I've always used what the soundman sets up so in some situations both mics stay in the gig bag.

You won't be disappointed with it, rather the opposite. You should be safe buying a used one from a reputable seller, could save some money that way.

If I were going to get another one I would probably get the 87c. We don't play real loud so I would trade the rejection of stage instruments for a bigger sweet spot.

Mine was on a stand in a practice space with hardwood floor. I am 6'3" so it was a good distance to the floor. The bassist was messing with his upright bass and knocked my mic stand over. The mic took a direct hit, the singing end hit the floor with considerable impact. After that, it didn't work at all. Had it for 15 years or so, bought used and never a problem until it's untimely death.

Shure will rebuild one like new for $125, cheaper than buying another one.

You won't be disappointed with it, rather the opposite. You should be safe buying a used one from a reputable seller, could save some money that way.

I see used Beta87's on Craigslist in LA for around $150 - $200. If I wanted PA gear I would definitely get myself a few. As it is, I am HEAVILY invested in studio mics & would not be able to justify any PA purchases.

If I were going to get another one I would probably get the 87c. We don't play real loud so I would trade the rejection of stage instruments for a bigger sweet spot.

Yes, I personally prefer the cardioid to the supercardioid version. To my ear it's slightly smoother, the highs a little sweeter. But both are really good vocal mics. Infinitely preferable to an SM58. When we have guest vocalists joining us on tour I always spec the Neumann KMS105, or if the venue can't provide that, the SM87.

Scott Fraser

If I had the bread I would get several Neumann U 87 mikes, they cost over 3 grand each and well worth the money. When I had my analog setup, I had one and I used it on all vocals.it gave me some magic in the recording process I never found with any other mike. It only cost me a grand in the late 80's.

If I regret selling any of my gear more than that one, it escapes me.

https://www.amazon.com/Neumann-87-AI-MT-Microphone/dp/B00GXNTHNE

I do have a Studio Projects C-1 which comes close to the Neumann U 87 but not quite as smooth. The C-1 https://www.adorama.com/spc1.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqd-Kgajo5QIVah6tBh0btA4_EAQYAyABEgJnT_D_BwE

@ Scott and Kuru, thanks for the info. If I should decide to buy one some day, I will pick the Shure 87 "C" over the "A". :cool:

@ DBM, I can't sing good enough to spend 3 grand on a mic LOL! But, I wouldn't want to discourage you from buying another one. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

@ DBM, I can't sing good enough to spend 3 grand on a mic LOL! But, I wouldn't want to discourage you from buying another one. :cool:

Unless I hit the big lotto, there is no chance of that happening in the near future.

Unless I hit the big lotto, there is no chance of that happening in the near future.

Keep an eye out and maybe you'll find a used one in the down to earth price range. $250 is about all I will go and I'm reluctant to do that considering that I'm not really using my big PA with phantom power much anymore... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

If I had the bread I would get several Neumann U 87 mikes,

One is great, but several is fabulous. I have three of them & I use them on everything. To me they're like the SM57 of the studio, the standard. Great for overheads, piano, acoustic guitars, string bass, violin, vocals, really anything. For more refined stuff, like solo classical piano, I'll use a pair of tube Neumann M149s & a pair of Sennheiser MKH80s. That's $17,000 worth of mics just on one piano. But, I obsess over sound, so it's all worth it.

they cost over 3 grand each and well worth the money. When I had my analog setup, I had one and I used it on all vocals.it gave me some magic in the recording process I never found with any other mike. It only cost me a grand in the late 80's.

If I regret selling any of my gear more than that one, it escapes me.

Yeah, I feel that pain.

Scott Fraser

I do have that Studio Projects C-1 which I use only for recording vocals. I have several Sure mikes, a SM57, and a Sure SM58. I use the 57 in front of my guitar speaker for recording or if I went live. I would use the 58 for live vocals if I ever go out again. I also have an AKG C 420 head set mike which I used live back in the day, and always liked it.

It lets you compare all these mics with the same sound source. Crazy stuff.

While this allows them to claim consistency, I don't usually end up using my favorite vocal mic for an acoustic guitaror tamborine, etc., etc.

Some mics are really good on multiple sources, others not so much. In the context of a particular project you might use the "wrong" mic anyway because it works in that particular context.

It can take me a while to learn a mic and what I want to use it for. Then, I find new uses for it. Combining mics compounds the complexity.