Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2020 Thread

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Braves have to decide to pay Josh Donaldson big bucks or watch him sign with (probably) the Rangers. I"m torn. Austin Riley is their future 3rd baseman, and may be ready this year.

They just signed the Giant"s Will Smith to 3 years. That huge for the bullpen. Now they need a good catcher.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 4 weeks later...
I"m hoping the Braves can get Kris Bryant from the Cubs for minor league pitching, and maybe Ender Inciarte. It doesn"t look like Josh Donaldson is going to stay. He wants one more big payday, for 4 years.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Anyone else respect Brett Gardner around here? That guy has been the nemesis of many AL (esp East) teams. Yankees just held on to him for another year at $12.5M. Good, solid signing and I"m not even a Yankees fan.

Here for the gear.

It doesn"t look like Josh Donaldson is going to stay. He wants one more big payday, for 4 years.

Atlanta should re sign him. He's worth whatever the market will bear for him. Now the Rendon has signed with the Angels, Nationals are going to try and sign him. Fans don't like when a player goes to a division rival

Just ask Bryce Harper.

:nopity:

Simmons also had the misfortune of being a really good catcher at a time when any conversation about great catchers started with Johnny Bench. That's a tough and unfair comparison for anyone. I can still remember the drama of seeing the Cardinals with Lou Brock play the Reds on Monday Night Baseball. Would Brock try to run against Bench? Yes he did, and Bench threw him out.

Sorry - I guess it's *still* happening, at least in my mind. Congrats to Ted Simmons.

It doesn"t look like Josh Donaldson is going to stay. He wants one more big payday, for 4 years.

Atlanta should re sign him. He's worth whatever the market will bear for him. Now the Rendon has signed with the Angels, Nationals are going to try and sign him. Fans don't like when a player goes to a division rival

Just ask Bryce Harper.

I"d love to keep Donaldson, but is he worth $25M per year? That"s probably what Texas or the Nats will pay him. Now there"s talk that the Twins may be interested. The Dodgers, also. I could see 4 years for $75M from the Braves. Kris Bryant still has two years left of his Cubs contract, so the Braves have a few years to work out a long term deal, while he"s proving he deserves it. A win-win.

I"m assuming Rendon will keep up that kind of production, but it"s really a guess. Mike Trout must be very happy.

The Strasberg and Cole signings are ludicrous. Nine year contract to a pitcher? I would have thought they learned their lesson with David Price, still owed $90+ Million from the Red Sox, along with Eovaldi, owed over $50 million

Simmons also had the misfortune of being a really good catcher at a time when any conversation about great catchers started with Johnny Bench.

Very true dat !

The Big Red Machine in the 70's basically owned the NL. And Oakland dominated the AL. Both dynasties. Actually I got tired of always seeing them both... :laugh:

Yes, not only Johnny Bench, but Carlton Fisk and Thurman Munson. They got all the attention while very good catchers like Ted Simmons and Bob Boone and Manny Sanguillén we"re not as celebrated.

• 5 weeks later...

MLB is handling this better than the NFL or the NBA has with their past scandals, in my opinion.

Of course, from the Black Sox to steroids, MLB knows how scandals can turn the public against them. They have experience in matters like these.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I would have liked to have seen some stiff penalties for all who were players on the Astros during 2017, regardless of where in MLB they are currently employed for 2020, since they all walked past that monitor in the clubhouse near the dugout, and heard the audio signals (trash can hits and/or whistles) hundreds of times. But I read in an ESPN article that the league gave players immunity in exchange for their testimony, and I understand that sometimes this is necessary.

Boston had no choice. It's going to get bad for them and they know it's coming. This is just an effort to save face before the shit hits the fan. Might be another asterisk coming. :eek:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/if-pete-rose-is-out-of-baseball-forever-then-so-should-alex-cora-230843168.html

In other news, Josh Donaldson to the Minnisota Twins. :doh:

:nopity:

Boston had no choice. It's going to get bad for them and they know it's coming. This is just an effort to save face before the shit hits the fan. Might be another asterisk coming. :eek:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/if-pete-rose-is-out-of-baseball-forever-then-so-should-alex-cora-230843168.html

In other news, Josh Donaldson to the Minnisota Twins. :doh:

As much as I wanted to keep him in Atlanta this is the best move, from his perspective. He can transition into DH if his injuries resurface.

• 2 weeks later...

The Braves have made some really smart offseason moves.

* Will Smith gets $40M for 3 years. Top-notch reliever.

* Cole Hamels - proven big game starter. Hope he has plenty left in the tank.

* Félix Hérnandez - way past his prime but may have a rejuvenation in the National League. He"ll be a great influence for the abundant young pitchers in the Atlanta system.

* Marcell Ozuna is a huge signing. One year/$18M, which means he"s playing for a multi-year offer. The guy hit, what, 50+ homers for the Marlins just a couple of years ago. Freddie Freeman will benefit immensely, having Ozuna hitting behind him - more so than Donaldson, who was pretty much all or nothing.

I"m pretty excited.

• 2 weeks later...

That"s a ton of money the Dodgers are taking on. Price is owed $96 million. Maybe the Bosox are paying part of it, but that"s a huge commitment for a guy who is not very good any longer. I"m thinking it was 'you want Mookie? Take Price off our hands'.

The Dodgers paid pitcher Homer Bailey $23M last year to not play at all as part of the big trade with the Reds to move salary.

They've already moved $7-9M by trading Joc Pederson. Another $3M for moving Maeda. If they use Price in a limited role and have him mentor the young guys coming up, I suspect it could work out pretty well. There won't be a ton of pressure for him to perform or carry a load. More than worth it to get Betts....