Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Numa Compact 2x

It's pretty obvious there is nothing technically stopping SL from giving us the whole farm: 76 keys, the WHOLE organ they made, and the sledge, with some pads a sequencer etc, all in one package, and with a light 2 octave pedal board, wireless, all for 750.00

I think they should make it for $29.95 and throw in a set of steak knives. (Could come in handy for the ELP.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

For $29.99 I'd expect a waffle iron.

For $750 I'd really like a 76-note Numa. For $1500 a 76er with with their kosher organ, more VA and generally some more "pro" features (dual keyboard, split/pan outputs etc.) would be really cool.

Cheers, Mike.

The lack of split/pan outputs is one of the most unfortunate limitations of the NC2X. The ability to pan a sound to one side or the other presumably would have added nothing to the cost, but it would have let you do things like send split bass to its own output (bass amp or separate FOH feed), or send organ alone out to a Ventilator, that kind of thing. Same issue with the VR-09/VR-730.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It's pretty obvious there is nothing technically stopping SL from giving us the whole farm: 76 keys, the WHOLE organ they made, and the sledge, with some pads a sequencer etc, all in one package, and with a light 2 octave pedal board, wireless, all for 750.00

I think they should make it for $29.95 and throw in a set of steak knives. (Could come in handy for the ELP.)

They obviously can put out some decent hardware out there for a low price. More realistically, for $1,000 getting most of your wish list in there minus the 2 octave pedal board.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

They obviously can put out some decent hardware out there for a low price. More realistically, for $1,000 getting most of your wish list in there minus the 2 octave pedal board.

LOL IMHO, there is NOTHING on earth so overpriced as MIDI pedal boards. WTF? I'm not the only whiner, go on YT and search DIY pedal board, and you will see many desperate people hard at work OMG.

We are not talking hammer-action complextity here, although a wood feel could be nice ;)

Seriously, a decent 32 note MIDI pedal board requires about 30.00 worth of electronics at most. The rest is technology any Spartan could find in 300BC. I hate the thought of any NEW plastic for anything, but there has to be some very cheap sudo-wood material, or just some cheap wood, brackets and hinges. Ikea-like.

Or one could go "VR", maybe even cheaper. Special socks and a reciever, no board needed at all!

No fruit hangs lower in the Keyboard market. No need to be modest in marketing: "prevents type 2 diabetes!" Since foot circulation is such a big complication in that regard, the claim is probably true, at least in part :)

I need to write a letter to Behringer. They could site the factory in post-brexit UK for some serious extra brownie points.

So many clonewheels, so few pedalboards......

Now, for a little wee hour Numa practice.....I have these open back Sennheiser mass drop headphones that it drives without effort, and sounds so nice....

Thanks again StudioLogic for the timely updates to your great board! I now have your cool soft case, which means I can take the thing on my bike, Greta-style. :)

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Greetings - I'm a bit of a newby to this thread so please excuse me if this has already been addressed.

Can anybody tell me what "Mastering" actually does on the NumaCompact 2X? It sounds like it sends high notes through the speaker on the right and low notes through the left speaker. But then again I think my ears are just playing tricks on me.

Thanks

Cool pedalboard, looks like its super long! Alot of folks on this forum are handy that way.

That look like a rather large and heavy stand for your 2 keyboards!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

• 2 weeks later...

I did the update and added the sounds. I had to install a free midi player on my mac, but no biggie.

The Japan Grand. It's kind of the bright alter-ego to the "concert". Sounds nice with Strings1, and is quite distinct from the other pianos. The fretless bass is nice too, and the other sounds are fine. Good to have a few more options in the synth section.

The new utility makes moving stuff on and off the board easy, so I'm wondering.....what sorts of files are these? Could you add an instrument from another brand? extension is .bin

The utility instructions are not in the manual, but there is a basic guide on the website. You can't delete factory sounds. You can rearrange them however.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm new on this forum and to keyboards in general. I'm very interested in the numa compact 2x but I also like the Korg Kross 2.

I understand they have a different featureset since one is more of a stage piano and the other is more of a workstation (hope I got these right).

I would like to ask for your opinion on which one of these two sounds best since I'm having a hard time deciding. I like the workstation features from the Korg but the quality of the sounds is more important to me right now.

Edit: I'm mainly referring to the korg kross 2 61 keys since the 88 is in a different price range.

Thank you very much,

Stefan

Current keyboards:

1. Yamaha Reface CP

2. Studiologic Numa Compact 2X

I would like to ask for your opinion on which one of these two sounds best since...I like the workstation features from the Korg but the quality of the sounds is more important to me right now.

There's no real answer to "which sounds best" because, for one thing, this can be subjective, and also, it's possible (even likely) that you'll like some sounds better on one and other sounds better on the other.

That said, the Kross would have some clear sonic advantages in having far MORE sounds in it, more editability to the sounds, the ability to combine (split/layer) more sounds (up to 16 at a time instead of 2), more effects flexibility, and the option of a monophonic (as opposed to polyphonic) synth mode with portamento (for lead synth sounds). Switching among sounds is also better with Korg's Favorite buttons and large number of locations for saving your sounds, compared to Numa's scroll knob and small number of storage locations. Numa would derive some sonic advantages from its drawbar organ mode and more real-time synth controls for in-performance manipulation. You could also say that, regardless of which piano sound you prefer, piano would play better from Numa's 88 better quality keys compared to Korg's 61 lesser quality keys. (Both actions increase key resistance as you move toward the rear of the key, which makes it harder to play piano expressively, but it's worse on the Korg.) It may also be worth considering that you can always add new sounds to the Numa (with an iPad, laptop, sound module), but you can't add more keys to the Kross or change its feel.

Also in the same range, you could consider the Roland Juno DS61 or Yamaha MX61. Neither has the workstation features of the Kross, but again depending on personal taste and exactly which sounds you are most concerned with, if sound is paramount, you might find you prefer the sounds of one or both of those over either the Korg OR the Numa. (Though adding more sounds via an iPad or whatever is easier with Korg and Numa than with these others, because of their better built-in MIDI patch selection capabilities).

Thank you very much for your reply AnotherScott.

I have noticed the Roland Juno DS61 and but didn't know about the Yamaha MX61.

As far as sounds are concerned, I'm mostly looking for Electric Piano and Organ for now and consider Acoustic Piano, Synth and others as added bonus (not to be neglected). A better feeling keybed is also very interesting since I'm really just starting out.

So, to recap, I'm looking for a good keybed (while not hammer action since they are just too heavy to carry around for me), good sounds (Electric Piano and Organ mostly), relatively easy to carry around with me and under the 700 euro price mark.

I appreciate the workstation features that the Korg has.. but I do have a multi-track recorder that could cover some of them.

I appreciate pads, synths and other sounds but have no clear usecase for them right now.

The ability to use samples is interesting but it is not a must have for me right now.

This is to get me started, learn all the songs I wish to learn, write some songs, do a few live shows with a band. Once that happens, it would be okay for me to think about upgrading if I necessary (obviously great if I didn't have to but I'm just learning about these things now).

Thank you again for the information you provided, I'm very happy to have found this forum that has a great community.

Current keyboards:

1. Yamaha Reface CP

With the most important sounds being organ and EP, just for sound with other features aside, in your price range, I'd say the choice would be Numa Compact 2X or Roland VR09. Both also have the secondary sounds you've mentioned. The boards are basically similar in being bi-timbral keyboards with drawbar organ engine, VA synth engine, and selection of other common sampled sounds. Sonically I'd probably take Roland for organ (better rotary/overdrive I think) and Numa for EP (though again, subjective). Numa's main advantages would be 88 keys (and better ones, with aftertouch) and better ability to integrate/control external sounds via MIDI. Roland has the more capable and more editable synth section (though editing requires an iPad) and some buttons to give you quicker access to 16 of your favorite sounds. Roland has more available fx, though unlike Numa, if you combine two sounds, you can't put different fx on each of the two sounds. As always, pros and cons...

I should revise some of my earlier organ whining about turning chorus and percussion on and off, does not seem to bother me anymore, and the real thing, at least mine, makes a crakle once in a while changing settings. I could not get my NUMA to do that the other day testing, maybe firmware helped or?

The acoustic pianos...funny how tough they are to really do well. My plug-in pianos are richer, for sure. As somebody noted, you need some serious space for samples, or really fantastic "V-piano" type tech I guess. I play my upright U1 clone alot, and it does spoil a person.

Next, I hope Studiologic will consider helping out the synth section. I've been slowly learning the Deepmind 12, and now I crave a shadow of that sort of control of motion in sound. The envelope setup on the NUMA seems strange now that I can use the envelopes on the Behringer. Why are there two sets of A/R sliders? I was trying to tweak up some good pads to go under those pianos, but really could not get to the stage of lush I was hoping....yet anyway. I'll keep working on that. The Synth sounds are too static as is, though rich. Under my hands, anyway, so far.

I look at those organ buttons and start imagining all the synthy things they might enable, like a VCF envelope toggle, and a little mod matrix menu would be so sweet. I would not expect a sledge in there, but more control would be fantastic.

Next, I'm going to try to get some control over the DM with the numa, running each over seperate sound systems, that could be fun.

The deepmind has a great organ style keybed (albeit divingboard), and one really interesting feature: the key-off is velocity senstive---per note. I think I'll try to go in reverse also and see if I can run the Numa organ with DM sliders. The Deepmind's big weakness is that it's not multitimbral and won't easliy take audio in--unless I'm mistaken. A shame because it has mad digital effects.

Why are there two sets of A/R sliders?
One set for filter envelope, one for amp (volume) envelope.

Why are there two sets of A/R sliders?
One set for filter envelope, one for amp (volume) envelope.

I read that several times, but somehow when you write it, a bell rings in the mists of my elder brain, thank you.

DM 12 has VCA and VCF (and another) envelopes.

So the last two sliders on the CX2 are essentially the VCA envelope, correct?

Looking through the online manual, I couldn"t find an answer to this question. Is it possible to access the organ via MIDI while playing another sound from the Compact 2x keyboard? And will the faders still function as drawbars for the organ sound being played via MIDI? Thanks.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

I traded an ancient 1/2-working Dimension D, dbx 166 and 286, and a Simmons 8:2 Mixer for a NUMA COMPACT 2x today. Well, I had to kick in some $ too...but here I am, back with Another Scott, whom I know and respect from the Juno DS board here.

I like the feel of the keyboard, thought it isn't what I'd expected. I'm very happy that the keys are full-width. It reminds me a bit of the older Roland FP keybeds, but with aftertouch, which is so great to have! And so many.

SO far what I like about it is the design and some of the combinations that it makes and its overall sonic texture, which is less splashy and more grounded or solid than the Juno DS(61.) I like the swishier organs, ("Gospel" and "Erroll Garner") but the jimmy smith one seems a bit leaden. Not sure why, and I'm sure I'll figure out a way to make em sound like the demos of the organs on the Compact 2 (which had no drawbars...)

I think my playback system is suspect today too: gain structure, weird speakers, etc...

As someone else here posted, I'm not sure what the Mastering knob does exactly, but yeah, some stereo, and some peaky mids around 600hz is what I noticed.

I hope they change it so that turning on the Percussion turns off the 9th drawbar, like B3's do. Those are just my first reactions.

Numa C2x, Reface YC, XK-3c, Mainstage/ReMOTE61SL, VR-09, X-50, JunoDS61, Montage 8, Karma, V-Synth, JD800, Jv80, XV-88, D-50's, TX-816, T8, Tempest, OB-6, DeepMind12, Prophet-X, SLEDGE, TS-10, MR-Rack, s70xs, B3/Leslie, Wurly, Piano, Mini-Korg, CS-2x, JP-8080, RA-50?

That's too bad about the midi implementation. All those knobs and buttons not sending MIDI seems like a waste. Especially since my NanoKontrol currently fits perfectly in the space on the Compact 2 where the 2x drawbars are.

I may have to order a 2x from Guitar Center or somewhere just so I can try it out.

As you probably know (since it's months since your post, sorry) the drawbars can all send midi, which is 9 new sources. But if you're controlling MainStage's cool b3 from the 2x, then they're already used up I guess.

I couldn't find a way to try one out here in NYC without buying one either! So I've got mine here, still trying to decide whether to keep it, or not, because I couldn't make that decision in a store... every time I decide: 'eh, craigslist here i come!' - it makes this gorgeous sound, and I'm like. . . 'oh well...'

Numa C2x, Reface YC, XK-3c, Mainstage/ReMOTE61SL, VR-09, X-50, JunoDS61, Montage 8, Karma, V-Synth, JD800, Jv80, XV-88, D-50's, TX-816, T8, Tempest, OB-6, DeepMind12, Prophet-X, SLEDGE, TS-10, MR-Rack, s70xs, B3/Leslie, Wurly, Piano, Mini-Korg, CS-2x, JP-8080, RA-50?

Looking through the online manual, I couldn"t find an answer to this question. Is it possible to access the organ via MIDI while playing another sound from the Compact 2x keyboard? And will the faders still function as drawbars for the organ sound being played via MIDI? Thanks.

Yes, but from another controller. You have two "parts" in addition to upper and lower, all controls accessible except the last bank of knobs on the right, I think. But, you cannot control the extra parts from the 2Cx at the moment. The 2 "zones" refer to externally controlled devices, I'm controlling my Deepmind 12 right now.

As a master controller...that's where the functionality is...not finished. I have been in an email exchange to verify a few things.

The Sliders can be easily programed to for external targets as zone A or zone B and those settings are saved--per patch. But no knobs or buttons can be assigned on the Cx2, although they do send MIDI data.

So you need something like the MIDI solutions event processor to properly assign them at the moment. I begged Gianni to allow us full programing of all sliders buttons and knobs as either cc or nrpn in an email today.

Gianni: "I do not exclude future updates to make all buttons programmable, but I can also not promise, here and now (sorry :-)."

In these days when many want to go dawless with various analog synths----I mentioned----it's a make or break feature for some buyers. I'm surprised it did not ship with this ability----I assumed from marketing materials that assigning a button or knob to a particular MIDI destination was a given.

I think if enough users mention the issue it may be addressed. I suggested that if he doesn't have the time, then consider moving in the open source direction and the community will create solutions for the issue.

The Kronos now has a bunch of community based "hacks".

Just a tip to those who find the 2x's Leslie disappointing.

In many situations, adding the Cho1 at the same time that you switch the Leslie from slow to fast with Stick 2 really helps.

I've been accused of 'roller rink' or 'ball park' organ sounds in the past, but do have a B3 and 3 clone wheels, (4 counting MainStage which I use a lot) so take my suggestion with a grain of salt. I grew up on The Young Rascals, Traffic and Procol Harum, with Garth Hudson, Vanilla Fudge and Michael Ratledge looming further out but still extremely influential, just for context. I got my B3 in the Summer of '69, ironically, because that's me playing on the song. I've had the same one ever since, but a different B3's on that record.

I haven't tried this yet (afraid to, LOL!) but has anybody tried plugging the MIDI OUT from their 2x into its MIDI IN, in order to access the 3rd and 4th 'Layers' in a stand-alone manner?

I'm sure there's a reason why this would not work, but don't know what that would be (midi-loop? - shouldn't be, as MIDI only access Parts 3 and 4...)

I JUST DID IT, and IT WORKS. There's a Pipe Organ, a B3, Strings, and a Piano all playing from the keyboard. Not sure why someone would ever want to do that, but....

There does seem to be some limit to Polyphony this way, understandably.

Actually, maybe for 4 Zones it would make sense, and not tax Polyphony that way either.

Probably my imagination, but I just thought I smelled something burning, so I disconnected the MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN.

NC2X manager cannot be opened...

Mac OS Catalina, and yes, the NC2X app is 64 bit so that can't be the problem.

Anyone else have this issue ?

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...

Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...

Kawai CA58, Kawai ES110

I am staying away from Catalina for now. Perhaps the "plug-and-play" driver(s)

I've gone for the Numa Compact 2x as opposed to the other options. A shop had one in B-Stock for 3/4 of the regular price so I went for it. Have played with it for the last week and I can't find anything wrong with it so it is a keeper.

So far I like it very much, both the keybed and the sounds are very nice. I do find I have some noise when I connect the keyboard to my computer using usb but I think it is the computers fault since connecting it to a usb power adapter works fine.

Speakers are louder than I expected them to be but I'm either using headphones or my monitors since they provide better quality.

Thanks to everyone for all of the information :)

Current keyboards:

1. Yamaha Reface CP

• 2 weeks later...
I've gone for the Numa Compact 2x as opposed to the other options. A shop had one in B-Stock for 3/4 of the regular price so I went for it. Have played with it for the last week and I can't find anything wrong with it so it is a keeper.

I'm holding on to mine too! It's 'love/hate" because it does so much, but that makes me wish it did everything the way we imagine it could....

We're waiting eagerly for the next software (firmware) update, which promises an improved DRIVE effect. I find that the lower notes on the keyboard Drive harder, and also what sounds great when you're playing one note, becomes unusable when you go to a chord. (Making a split with 2 organs and less Drive on the lower side is a workaround.) So the updated OS is going to make that better :)

Since I own a Sledge, hearing them say that it's the Sledge Engine inside this multi-purpose Dream Keyboard makes me laugh. It's like calling Spaghetti-O's a fine Italian meal.

I wonder if there's any room on their 'chip' to improve that Numa 2x engine?

But for the price, and the weight, this thing is an amazing product, and a fun Instrument that is Soulful and inspiring. Thank you, Studiologic!

• 2 weeks later...

YES, I am using my SL NC 2x to send MIDI drawbar information to a GEMINI MIDI rack (B-3 sound preset) using the old-fashioned 5-pin MIDI cables. It is kinda a labor of love to set up - BUT ONLY ONCE! You have to tell the drawbars to be drawbars instead of VOLUME CONTROLS - so the "top" of the drawbar sends MIDI = 0 instead of a MIDI = 127. I had to take extra meds the first time I set it up, but now, Preset #54 is customized for any Gemini Organ preset, and I can use the drawbars LIVE & GLITCH-FREE. A cute picture of the drawbar positions briefly shows up on the tiny OLED screen on the SL NC 2x while you move them around. It is a great joy.

Sadly, I don't believe the PERCUSSION or VIBRATO controls on the SL NC 2x send MIDI information to switch PERC or VIBR/CHORUS on the Gemini, but I have not tried to do that. Can anybody please tell me I am wrong ??

The MODULATION STICK on the NC 2x does send ROTOR FAST / SLOW by MIDI to the Gemini, but I find this less than useful. ?? has anybody figured out a way to send MIDI from a pedal attached to the NC 2x to actuate ROTOR FAST / SLOW ?

Best,

MIDI RACK-MAN