Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - In The Dark

49053079242_b6032a3035_b.jpg

A number of people have mentioned that this looks like either a spaceship crash-landing on another world or something from Captain Nemo or some strange underwater craft exploring the sea.

I lit the interior with a handheld ProtoMachines LED2 light painting device during the long exposure.

46943301335_622e170ef6_b.jpg

Strange abandoned passenger train cars out in the desert.

49030981108_54f59f9f93_b.jpg

Looks like something out of Mad Max or Wasteland Weekend. Lit with a handheld ProtoMachines LED2 light painting device during the long exposure.

49027002211_6cc9f81902_b.jpg

Along The Highway To Anywhere (5065)

~~~~~

An old Coca Cola truck in the Mojave Desert underneath the starry skies. This reminded me instantly of drinking ice-cold Coca Cola on hot humid days in the Midwest when I was a kid, holding the cold glass bottle against my head or neck occasionally to cool off. As a kid, this was my favorite drink, sort of funny since I never drink it now. "Along the Highway to Anywhere" is a 1949 Coca Cola slogan, and I thought it might go well for describing this Old Town Bottling Company truck.

~~~~~

I lit the truck from several different angles with a handheld ProtoMachines LED2 light painting device. This was with a night photography trip with George Loo, Tim Little, and Steve McIntyre, exploring the abandoned areas in the desert. Also, I'm rarely "heavy-handed" with post-processing, but upon returning home and looking at this image, I kept wanting to remove a large white van parked in back of the truck, which was very distracting to me. My Photoshop skills aren't super advanced, but thankfully I received "a little help from my friends", and collectively, the final image is a bizarre amalgamation of someone who didn't want to be named but contributed immensely, Mike Cooper, and me. Thank you, friends, and to Mike Shelton and everyone else who reached out to help.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those must be the ones down by San Diego? I'm always struck by how odd it is that they are there, so far from home. They're from Chicago-area C&NW Ry. service! There's a chance I've ridden in them (a small chance, since they had many dozens of similar cars). There are even a few stored here too, right by O'Hare Airport, with only slightly less graffiti. Perhaps I can make them a photo subject this winter!

This is one car I spotted during the daylight and when I came back later at night to shoot it I found there was a billion-watt streetlight across the street which I had never taken into account! So I concentrated on the car's shadow on the foreground (from the full moon) and used the pale blue from the Protomachine and the yellow-orange of the streetlight to give it some illumination.

0xvn4e.jpg

Those must be the ones down by San Diego? I'm always struck by how odd it is that they are there, so far from home. They're from Chicago-area C&NW Ry. service! There's a chance I've ridden in them (a small chance, since they had many dozens of similar cars). There are even a few stored here too, right by O'Hare Airport, with only slightly less graffiti. Perhaps I can make them a photo subject this winter!

You should definitely try and get in there and photograph them if you can. They are interesting subject material for photography, I think!