Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I broke a cardinal rule

So you think 'Jump' rhymes with 'Hump' ah Bunkee!..... is that what you're saying Fella!? Is that what is troubling you Flippo... Well ...

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

That ain't no problema! 'Mustang Sally', now that's a different story, that could be a problem... so much older and worn-out! Like me!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting far too lenient here. Jump? Next thing you know he'll tell us he is using a Nord Lead on an X stand and running it through a Roland KC amp. Without eternal vigailance it can happen here. :)

No, using a Roland D-20 on an old computer desk, through an ART line mixer and Presonus powered monitor speakers.

The only cardinal rule you broke was telling us about it.

I wasn"t supposed to tell anyone? :ohmy:

What Happens in Van Halen, Stays in Van Halen

That's only til you are out, as Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony and David Lee Roth will attest.

Gary Cherone??? Mitch Malloy???!!!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Do most of you pro guys consider the proper way is to play a part like in Jump EXACTLY like it was recorded?

I play it note for note, but when I play the solo in the middle, I switch to a wah-wah saw lead to give it my own personal touch. Sometimes I'll do an extra flourish during the arpeggios, but yeah, otherwise note-for-note. I'm okay with people doing their own spin on it, but they gotta earn it first, make sure you can play it exactly right before you wank on it. That said, I play it so much, and so many regulars hear it, I've sort of forgotten that it doesn't use a way, and I bet they have too!

Actually, the part that I really like but totally gets lost is the synth line underneath the guitar solo. I love that in the studio cut, but it never translated right live, always gets buried by everything else, but I'm nervous to push it lest i step on the guitar solo.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?