Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joe Sample was so soulful.

Playing through the pain. I miss him.

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite players. Saw him live a number of times. Never failed to impress. On one of the dates probably in the mid to late 90s, he had a couple of great stories. One was about his song "Hippies On A Corner." He was on his way to a gig in the Haight Ashbury neighborhood of San Francisco in the mid 60s. As he put it "I had on my nice suit with a black tie.. I was wearing what we called a 'Stingy Brim Hat' and I had 98 cents to my name. I was *livin'* the life of a Jazz Musician." Two kids come up and ask him for a dollar and he says he doesn't have one. They start calling him a liar, etc. Joe says "And in that moment I realized we had reached racial equality. They didn't see a black man just trying to get by, they saw The Man in a suit!"

The other one was about the education he received when he was quite young touring in Texas and maybe Oklahoma. As he put it "You learned to groove pretty damn fast 'cause if you got out there and weren't making the crowd move their ass, they jumped up on stage and kicked yours!"

-Z-

Among other ways I appreciate him, Joe Sample helps me out as sort of a palette-cleanser and an aid to refinding my musical center. When I'm feeling fatigued from listening to people trying to push the boundaries of jazz, and just want to remember what it means to bring joy to an audience, Sample is ample.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

...When I'm feeling fatigued from listening to people trying to push the boundaries of jazz, and just want to remember what it means to bring joy to an audience, Sample is ample.

I totally agree. He was always easy on the ears and supremely musical.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Joe Sample + soulful made me think of this (and I promise to work on my embedding skills :):

Man, thanks for this - never heard this one... so tasty. Joe's Wurlie was so warm, and rounded-sounding. George Duke told me he had it in his studio during the time he was recording Joe's "Sample This" release. He was so taken by his Wurlitzer that he used it on the original recording of "It's On" from GD's After Hours release.

I saw Joe many times during his career, and was always impressed with his soulful playing and his feel. You always know Joe within a few notes, from his touch and soul. RIP.

Once, when it was my turn to put a song on our song list, I chose Put It Where You Want It. We played the music like the Crusaders but also sang the words from the AWB version. I believe Mr. Sample wrote the words, too. Two guitars did the horn licks and I had a wah-wah on my EP sound because Larry Carlton used one. It stayed on the list until it was voted down two years later by everyone but me! But it was fun to play it for a while. Genius voicing for the EP and what a great bass line. By the way, my bandmates and I are almost all in our late 60s or have reached 70 and we play mostly 60s & 70s rock/pop and some country, so it was a slightly weird fit. RIP Joe.

Kurzweil PC4

He's was so great. I met him at a club in the mid '70's when he, Stix, and Billy Rogers came in. Joe had a copy of Rainbow Seeker on a cassette and it hadn't been released yet. Joe, Stix and I went out to my car and listened to it. Me and Stix shared a joint. Joe didn't hit it. What a memory!

Loved Joe so much!!!

One of my favorites is Rainbow Visions. The interplay between Joe and Larry!!!

(I think I hear a quote from Theme from Taxi in Joe's solo, or vice versa )

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

One of my favorites. Chart available

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Loved his playing and he sounded great on other people's rigs too.

Jazz club in Mammoth Lakes was a hot spot.

What was so unique is jazz groups, rock tributes, punk, synth EDM even Freestyle HipHop groups performed there.

He knew his audiences.

Ski Seasons there were awesome and specialty drinks like Coffee, Baileys and Tuaca topped with a hefty hat of whip cream were fantastic.

Been years since he passed but he is still Alive and well in Big Pine, Bishop, Mammoth Lakes, etc.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Joe has been my go to Jazz player, I guess because of his soulful from the heart style of playing. He brought in a drummer that he had not worked with for years and they rehearsed in a friends studio. I got copies of that rehearsal and the stories he told between songs were too cool!!!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

He plays quite fine on Green Dolphin, thanks.

He's was so great. I met him at a club in the mid '70's when he, Stix, and Billy Rogers came in. Joe had a copy of Rainbow Seeker on a cassette and it hadn't been released yet. Joe, Stix and I went out to my car and listened to it. Me and Stix shared a joint. Joe didn't hit it. What a memory!

Great story!

I should contribute something as well. It may be a bit too smooth for some, but his Invitation recording is a great chance to hear his thick harmonies, wonderful voicings and stellar touch. The arrangements really integrate the strings/winds/horns and piano in a seamless way, using the same "voice" and approach. A very tasteful, if restrained outing for him.

Jerry

Back in the mid-80s, I watched the Jazz Crusaders live Midnight Triangle VHS tape many times. Joe was a monster of the groove. RIP Mr. Sample. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"