Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Prominent frontmen that are keyboardists

@Nursers thanks for reminding me about the Hothouse Flowers. Everything a band should be.

Cheers, Mike.

Very welcome - always thought they deserved more ongoing success than they got. I had the pleasure of seeing them play live in a small venue (150 people or so) back in 2004 or so and they were absolutely brilliant. Even managed to sneak in an interview with Liam (singer / piano player) the following week for a mag I was writing for. Seemed a very nice guy but very guarded I found :thu:

Eddie van Halen. Can he be considered a frontman?

I guess, but by that token I would say Geddy Lee fits the bill a lot more than Eddie. Pete Townsend would be a closer match with Eddie, as they were behind-the-scenes making backing tracks, but not doing it live. Lee spent a lot of time on stage behind the rig though. However, all three of them are much more known as guitar/bass gods who took some interest in keyboards. Unlike Bellamy who started out as a classical piano student first. (so did Steve Vai from what I've been told).

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Michael McDonald (hall of fame behind Elton, Billy)

Brian Wilson

Ellis Hall (I was at this one - Maintenance Shop Ames IA). Check out closeups of Ellis's playing throughput:

[video:youtube]

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I guess, but by that token I would say Geddy Lee fits the bill a lot more than Eddie. Pete Townsend would be a closer match with Eddie, as they were behind-the-scenes making backing tracks, but not doing it live. Lee spent a lot of time on stage behind the rig though. However, all three of them are much more known as guitar/bass gods who took some interest in keyboards. Unlike Bellamy who started out as a classical piano student first. (so did Steve Vai from what I've been told).

Eddie actually started on piano as a kid. Came to guitar much later.

Eddie actually started on piano as a kid. Came to guitar much later.

That would stand to reason. Without his piano training "Jump" would have been a much simpler song.

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I stumbled upon this a long time ago. It's a very brief EVH, a tad wasted, playing a grand.

He does have a classical background on piano, which is verified. He learned his theory from his days studying piano, then he caught the guitar bug, and that was that.

He wrote (and played on the recording) Right Now, for example.

Oh yeah, here's the video of Ed playing piano.

[video:youtube]

• Like 1

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I stumbled upon this a long time ago. It's a very brief EVH, a tad wasted, playing a grand.

Cool find David. Appearances would suggest you have also proven yourself to be a master of witty understatement.

Do you think that's bigger than a grand?

:D

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

He may not have been the main keyboardist in Genesis and maybe he does not quite fit the criteria outlined, Peter Gabriel?

Gregg Rolie.
Journey's first three albums? In Santana, even though Rolie sang and spoke through a mic to the audience, Carlos was the frontman. Carlos was shy but he eventually took to the microphone between songs.