Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Prominent frontmen that are keyboardists

I got to thinking recently about the rock/pop stars (usually lead singers) that are also the band's keyboardist, but only sing live. This is an anomaly that also happens with drummers (like Phil Collins). The two largest examples I can think of are Freddy Mercury and Matt Bellamy (Muse), but there are probably others. I know Bowie played keys on some of his material. To a lesser extent: I know Lady Gaga and Adele are largely piano-driven during their songwriting. But frontmen are usually compelled to not be stuck behind stationary equipment like keyboards and drum kits. Obviously there are exceptions like Elton John, Billy Joel and Daryl Hall. But there are very few BANDS (not solo acts) where the keyboardist is the frontman. I'm curious what other frontmen record ivories behind the scenes?

(BTW: I think Matt Bellamy is one of the best keyboardists on the rock scene today, far more impressive keyboard parts than guitar, for sure!)

• Like 1

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

First and foremost, the late, great Ray Charles. I saw him twice with full orchestra and the Raylettes.

Dr. John can go on that list, Elton John since we are on Johns.

Lee Michaels

When I saw Bob Dylan he spent most of the eveing playing electric piano.

Mike Smith in the Dave Clark Five.

That's 6.

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I guess I'm after frontmen who aren't known for being keyboardists. Ray Charles, Stevie, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elton are all "solo" acts revolving around their keyboard playing. But there are a whole slew that are coaxed into the spotlight from behind their boards, when they do it all on the recordings.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

(Didn't we just have this thread last year?) Anyway, i'll add:

Gary Brooker (Procul Harum) - frontperson / piano player (with Matthew Fisher playing organ)

Kevin Cronin (REO Speedwagon) - frontperson / sometimes piano player (with Neil Doughty playing organ)

Thijs van Leer (Focus) - frontperson / organ

Paul Rogers (Free, Bad Company) - frontperson / sometimes piano player

Chris Martin (Coldplay) - frontperson / sometimes piano player

And of course, Paul McCartney and John Lennon

• Like 1