Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electro 5d Wurli vs Neo Soul iPad?

kwyn

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would NeoSoul keys on iPad be an upgrade to the NE5D electric pianos? Specifically, with regards to the Wurli?

I have the NeoSoul keys and used to have two Nords ,but deleted NeoSoul after purchasing the Scarbee EP88s and Sonic Couture broken Wurli.

The NeoSoul Wurlitzer is really out of tune in a bad way. I liked their Rhodes in the beginning because of the dirt and grit, but the Wurli was also out of tune.

To much of everything for my taste....

The Nord Electro Wurli would certainly have my preference, because 'out of tune" is on top of my list of annoying artifacts.

I remember the clav in the Crumar ( forgot which one) that was also extremely out of tune..... no amount of 'organic", 'feel", 'realness" can make up for bad tuning that is fixed within the program.

The OP was about eps for the iPad....

Hard to beat the EPs in the Nords despite some of the eps being really small - the Wurly is only 5Mb - they just seem to capture enough of the raw essence of the original instrument.

I use NeoSoul keys at home and they have a definite vibe. Lots of controls for the mechanics but I tend not to use those features. Dyno EP is very good for Steely Dan stuff. The wurly doesn't sound like an Ep200 I think it's an earlier model - but it sounds authentic and it seems in tune. £9.95 worth a punt.

That said I would recommend the Scarbee add on for Korg Module for Rhodes sounds. I'm not so keen on the Wurly add on despite it being 117Mb. More expensive though but Module has a lot of other good sounds.

A good compromise is iLectric piano which is on a par with the Nord EPs and has a simple but useful interface. There are a few different wurly's. I think there is a demo so worth checking it out,

Remember you really need to play these sounds from a weighted keyboard to fully appreciate them.

I think ChazKeys kind of hits it... the Wurlis on the various iPad are different from Nord, but I wouldn't say that ANY of them are better, despite some massive size differences. To me, they're all disappointing. Personally, I would take the Nord Wurli over the ones in Colossus, iLectric, Module, or NeoSoul. The first three suffer from having only three velocity layers that I could detect (Colossus also has some weird artifacts on some of the decays). NeoSoul seems to have more velocity layers, but despite that, I like it even less than the others.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

My Nord Wurli is their original sample, with these settings:

Amp = Twin

Drive = 1.3

Treble = +1.8

Mid = -6 at Freq 299

Bass = -5.5

I haven't tried playing with the new EQs they provide now.

Also worth noting that I only played with the default Wurly sounds in those iOS apps, and do not do any tweaking there. If I had to pick one of those, it would probably be Module.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

My Nord Wurli is their original sample, with these settings:

Amp = Twin

Drive = 1.3

Treble = +1.8

Mid = -6 at Freq 299

Bass = -5.5

I haven't tried playing with the new EQs they provide now.

Also worth noting that I only played with the default Wurly sounds in those iOS apps, and do not do any tweaking there. If I had to pick one of those, it would probably be Module.

Thanks for sharing. Exactly what I was hoping you'd post. No wonder there's an appreciation thread for you! Thx!

Having both Neo Soul and Module, I think I"d give the nod to the latter.

I like Wurlitzers to have a buttery sound that has a good snap when the keys are hit hard. I was never really satisfied with Nord"s Wurlitzer which I found thin, but the amps and sweepable mids helped round out the tone, and I really liked the scope of the fx. This is to the best of my memory as I sold my last Nord a few years ago.

Neo Soul for iOS specializes in Rhodes, and I"ve been able to tweak a mighty fine one which I absolutely love to play. There are so many editable parameters available in Neo Soul I"m confident a great Wurlitzer can be designed, but as I tend to use Rhodes a lot more, I haven"t dived into it.

I don"t have Module"s Wurlitzer add-on, but to me the demo sounds great, albeit short and with too much fx, but for some reason it has that tone that reminds me of the old roxatone 140B I had. Or perhaps the tone I wished I had on the Wurlitzer I wish I still had :laugh:

Here for the gear.

Thanks for sharing. Exactly what I was hoping you'd post. No wonder there's an appreciation thread for you! Thx!

Thanks. Don't take it as gospel, though... it reflects my own taste (for some grit), and my own need (to cut through in a band, and stay out of the bassist's way), and my own impatience (I stop tweaking when I get "close enough"). I don't doubt that others would prefer something different. But it could be a start...